Interference Random Music Talk Part IV: Avoiding KNIFE CRIME for One More Sequel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the ACL lineup looks awesome. But I also think that cherry is the best flavor of Starburst, so what do I know?

I can't remember the last time I had Starbursts. Great, now I'm going to be craving that for the rest of the night. Sugar pushing Chicago loving bastard.

I think the ACL lineup looks awesome. But I also think that cherry is the best flavor of Starburst, so what do I know?

Come on man. The pink ones are where it's at.

Lily Allen, the Decemberists, Andrew Bird, Girl Talk, Bon Iver, Phoenix, Grizzly Bear, Passion Pit, and Lisa Hannigan are my must-sees. And maybe the Dead Weather if they wind up being any good. I think it's ridiculous they get such high billing on the strength of Jack White being in the band. Plus DMB, Beastie Boys, Ben Harper, and Pearl Jam are going to guarantee undesirable people in the crowd.

Compare these headliners from 2007: Fucking Dylan! Bjork! Wilco! Arcade Fire! The White Stripes (before they dropped out at the last minute)!

For fuck's sake, why are the B-52s there? I mean I like "Rock Lobster" as much as the next guy. But come on!

I thought of an upside to this whole ACL sucking thing. Since I won those VIP passes, I get all the food and booze I can possibly handle (which is a lot for both). So now I can use the time I'd normally spend watching good bands for getting in a great enough drunken stupor to make Beastie Boys, DMB, Kings of Leon, and Ben Harper sound decent.

How and why the hell do you apparently think the Beastie Boys are not good?

I find it interesting that you may be named one of my least favourite tracks on that album as one of the best :lol: Maybe you should try giving it another listen some of the lyrics on that album are great
oh yeah, i'm giving them all a few spins, they each get better.
Common's album was the one I was thinking of. Though he may have appeared on Mos Def's as well.

All three are great albums.
i saw mos def in be kind rewind... never knew he was a musician. i hear common's pretty fucking good.

:hi5: for pink starbursts.

I thought of an upside to this whole ACL sucking thing. Since I won those VIP passes, I get all the food and booze I can possibly handle (which is a lot for both). So now I can use the time I'd normally spend watching good bands for getting in a great enough drunken stupor to make Beastie Boys, DMB, Kings of Leon, and Ben Harper sound decent.

:tsk: Ben Harper is great. I've gotten into this discussion with several people now. He's playing with the Relentless7 at ACL, and their new album together, White Lies for Dark Times is bluesy and rocks the fuck out. He really does put on a fantastic show too. Yes, his acoustic stuff is pretty douchebaggish, but his recent output hasn't followed that vein at all. Check out the second disc of Both Sides of the Gun for starters.

Alright, maybe I'll give it a shot. The only song I'm familiar with is "Steal My Kisses," which is just so, so bad.

Re: Dave Matthews Band. Is Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King one of the worst album titles ever? I say yes. There's a song on it called "Alligator Pie (Cockadile)." Someone's clearly been listening to early Shuttlecock.

Alright, maybe I'll give it a shot. The only song I'm familiar with is "Steal My Kisses," which is just so, so bad.

Re: Dave Matthews Band. Is Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King one of the worst album titles ever? I say yes. There's a song on it called "Alligator Pie (Cockadile)." Someone's clearly been listening to early Shuttlecock.

:lol: That makes more sense then. Yeah, if you get a chance, give those two albums a listen. Worst case scenario, you're still getting drunk for the show. :up:

Is that seriously their newest album's title? :lol:

Goldfrapp, anyone? :hmm::up:

goldfrapp.jpg

I didn't want to post this in the Wilco thread, but in addition to being insanely overrated, Wilco has now proven to have a really weak sense of humor. Wilco (The Album)!! Ha ha, how clever! And Wilco (The Song)!! Genius!!

:rolleyes:

I can't wait to hear the sycophants defend this one.

My boy and close personal friend Tweeds is one of the best lyricists in music today. You're nuts.

Please beware the quiet front yard
I warned you
Before there were water skies
I warned you not to drive
Dry your eyes, you poor devil

Are there really ones like these?
The ones I dream
Float like leaves
And freeze to spread skeleton wings
I passed through before I knew you

And another:

Where the cups are cracked and hooked
Above the sink
They make me think
Crumbling ladder tears don't fall
They shine down your shoulders

And crawling is screw faster lash
I blow it with kisses
I rest my head on a pillowy star
And a cracked-door moon
That says I haven't gone too far

Better than any of yr Super Furry Lance's Mom's Muffimals bullshit.

Not really. Tweedy's got no cojones, which is my problem with the band in general. I like them a good deal, but don't love them. Unlike Gruff Rhys from SFA, they wouldn't put out something as risky as this:

Rapture
Waiting to capture that moment
Postponement
Suspension of rational movement
So bang on the hour of twelve
To the forest clearing we'll delve
With guns to our heads for we know
That heaven awaits us

Dreaming of that perfect home by the sun
Run Christian, run!
Still dreaming of that perfect home by the sun
Run Christian, run!

Roaming
Roaming from all tribulation
Leaving
Leaving behind all damnation

With women and children in line
The men will then gather behind
With knives to their throats they'll depart
On the midnight train to Jordan

Still dreaming of that perfect home by the sun
Run Christian, run!
Wishing for that perfect home by the sun
Come Kingdom come!

I liked that song better when it was called "Midnight Train to Georgia."

And I've actually never listened to SFA. I just felt like being a dick.

My boy and close personal friend Tweeds is one of the best lyricists in music today. You're nuts.

For every semi-decent song they have, they have a painfully lame pop song. Heavy Metal Drummer is beyond idiotic. My major issue with the band is probably how their own fans portray them as some amazing/deep/American-Radiohead/inventive type group. Half of their songs are close to being easy listening adult contemporary garbage, the other half are close to being terrible disasters attempting to be experimental". If people gave them a realistic description of being a "decent enough completely inoffensive silly pop alt-country group", I'd probably have no issues with them.

Wilco are still in my opinion the Matchbox 20 of indie rock, and alt-country has mostly become easy listening adult contemporary for people who still want to think they're hip. It's extremely bland and inoffensive music that people can listen to without having to have their heart rate go up.

I do like them quite a bit more than I ever used to, but I still really don't get why people attempt to portray them as some amazingly fantastic group. They're the epitome of overrated and overhyped. Are they terrible? No. Are they fantastically amazing? Absolutely not.

Whatevs. You guys are hurting my feelers. Stop being so mean.

They just played "Where the Cocks Have No Game" in the arena during Bulls/Celts. I miss SC.

For every semi-decent song they have, they have a painfully lame pop song. Heavy Metal Drummer is beyond idiotic. My major issue with the band is probably how their own fans portray them as some amazing/deep/American-Radiohead/inventive type group. Half of their songs are close to being easy listening adult contemporary garbage, the other half are close to being terrible disasters attempting to be experimental". If people gave them a realistic description of being a "decent enough completely inoffensive silly pop alt-country group", I'd probably have no issues with them.

Wilco are still in my opinion the Matchbox 20 of indie rock, and alt-country has mostly become easy listening adult contemporary for people who still want to think they're hip. It's extremely bland and inoffensive music that people can listen to without having to have their heart rate go up.

I do like them quite a bit more than I ever used to, but I still really don't get why people attempt to portray them as some amazingly fantastic group. They're the epitome of overrated and overhyped. Are they terrible? No. Are they fantastically amazing? Absolutely not.

:heart::heart::heart:

I can't tell you how happy I am that you posted this rational critique. I feel almost exactly the same, though I wouldn't stoop so low as to bring Matchbox 20 into it. I think my issues stem more from the "they're so creative and original!!" bullshit that's been coming down this whole decade. You take away their battle with the major label on Foxtrot, and their lack of cause celebre status would render them just another band. Compared to Okkervil River, they're rather uninteresting, and as for the American Radiohead thing, that's laughable--they're closer to the American Gomez (who is arguably better as well).

Having said that, I actually like the real jammy stuff, which is why I prefer A Ghost is Born to the OMG MASTERPIECE!!!1!!11!!! It's Tweedy's vocal delivery that is way too BLAH for me. Guy just doesn't have much of a personality in his singing, esp. when compared to former bandmate Jay Farrar. Which is another thing--Wilco ain't no Tupelo, either.

I just feel sorry for the fans having to stomach that new album info. My god is that awkward. Do they think that's supposed to be ironic and/or funny? They should have just called the album "Volkswagen", as in "We were happy to lend our song to Volkswagen, because everyone in the band is a fan of their cars". Shut the fuck up. Don't try to rationalize selling out. Just take the money and slither away.

Do they think that's supposed to be ironic and/or funny?

Who gives a fuck? It's an album title.

Also, Hail To The Thief/In Rainbows = less experimental (at least within the context of their discography) than Yankee Hotel Foxtrot/A Ghost Is Born. Radiohead hasn't been truly experimental since Amnesiac, and there is little to nothing about the past two records that could be considered experimental for the band. They both feel like rehashes to me, the latter far more convincing than the former. Of course, Wilco wussed/sold out with Sky Blue Sky, so, by my estimation, neither band could possibly be considered experimental at this point. Of course, I don't listen to music classified as "experimental" regularly (as I've often found that such sonic experimentation had been previously left untried for a reason), so perhaps I'm not the best person to decide these things. In any case, I love both bands, and I couldn't care less whether one, the other, or both were/are considered indietastic easy listening. I just like the songs, dammit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom