Interference Random Music Talk Part III: The One Not Ruined by Sofia Coppola

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't feel like posting this in EYKIW because, for the most part, everyone in there sucks.

I'm thinking of getting the U2.com subscription soon so I can get tickets for next year's tour. But I can't find anything on the prospective subscription page that says anything about a presale. Do you reckon the new LiveNation deal is going to get some other sort of presales going? Should I just email Bono?

I wouldn't bother subscribing until they offer a new premium, unless you want a worthless audio recording of Slane Castle and some dumb t-shirt.

And even though the "fan club" membership is now way bigger than it used to be, I imagine they would still try to give some advantage to people who have paid the money. It may be your only chance to get tickets outside of a scalper, something I don't think I can bring myself to do on principle.

Yeah, I'll probably wait until February to actually go through with it. Unlike the people in here, I go to one show. I don't even want to go to two. So I figure I want to keep it on the safe side. Plus the Slane audio and shirt are really lame.

I'm with you. I'm not going the scalper route.

I usually try to see a show on each of the two U.S. legs, just to see how it's evolved over time, but if Bono's quote about the outdoor stadium performances having some crazy set design thing, I may need to see one in Europe.

I'll probably wait until the tour is closer to being announced to pick up a membership as well, as I've had good luck with it over the last few tours (watch them discontinue the early tickets and we all get screwed this time).

So, I thought this video was ok the first time I saw it on SNL. I watched it a few more times, and now I think it's absolutely hilarious. Gotta love all the reggae song references:

Hulu - Saturday Night Live: Digital Short: Ras Trent

Was watching a repeat of CNN's Heroes show today and during one of the biographies, the music playing was Hoppipolla and somehow it seemed perfect! There is such joy in that album. So I'm listening to it today, being Christmas and all.

I think I heard it on an ad for "Slumdog Millionaire" which I'm going to see today. That song pops up all over the place.

I'll probably wait until the tour is closer to being announced to pick up a membership as well, as I've had good luck with it over the last few tours (watch them discontinue the early tickets and we all get screwed this time).

I can't remember what happened last time but I think I had some kind of fanship ticket disaster that made me swear I would never try to get tickets through the lame presale again. In general, I hate fan presales and tend to do better in the general sale. I did end up with tickets, I just can't remember how I got them. But I will probably sign up again since it might increase the odds of getting tickets. I will try to see one show on each of the US legs but that's probably about it this time. I think there's a reality check waiting for me about the recession. :grumpy:

I have posted this many times, but here it is again:

I love the song Sara by Fleetwood Mac.

If you don't like it, we can discuss it, but I prefer we skip that and immediately square off in some form of ritualized combat. You can choose the weapons, I'll choose the location/altitude (I fight better between 2,000 and 3,000 feet above sea level, I'll not bore you with the mechanics of why).

What's funny is that James Murphy from LCD Soundsystem professed his love for that same song in an interview with Pitchfork last year.

I will say though, it's painful for me to listen to the edited version on the original Tusk after hearing the full version on the remaster from a couple years ago. I mean, more Sara=better Sara.

If you haven't heard it, let me know. I can ARRANGE things.

I've never listened to much Fleetwood Mac but I know that Lindsay Lohan is going to be playing Stevie Nicks in an upcoming biopic.

Hotness.

I have posted this many times, but here it is again:

I love the song Sara by Fleetwood Mac.

If you don't like it, we can discuss it, but I prefer we skip that and immediately square off in some form of ritualized combat. You can choose the weapons, I'll choose the location/altitude (I fight better between 2,000 and 3,000 feet above sea level, I'll not bore you with the mechanics of why).

I included that on a tape I made for my daughter when she was little, along with Jefferson Starship's Sara and Hall and Oates Sara Smile. She thought they were singing it for her. Narcissistic children. :cute:

What's funny is that James Murphy from LCD Soundsystem professed his love for that same song in an interview with Pitchfork last year.

I will say though, it's painful for me to listen to the edited version on the original Tusk after hearing the full version on the remaster from a couple years ago. I mean, more Sara=better Sara.

If you haven't heard it, let me know. I can ARRANGE things.

I'm not sure if I've ever heard it or not, so, please feel free to ARRANGE something, please.

I love these letters from McSweeney's so much. This one had me laughing out loud.

McSweeney's Internet Tendency: A Letter to Elton John From the Office of the NASA Administrator.

JOHN MOE'S POP-SONG
CORRESPONDENCES,
VOLUME X.
BY JOHN MOE

- - - -
A LETTER TO ELTON JOHN
FROM THE OFFICE OF THE
NASA ADMINISTRATOR.

- - - -

Dear Mr. John,

This letter is to inform you of your termination from the NASA astronaut program. Our decision comes after a great deal of deliberation, and while we take no pleasure in terminating you, we felt it was the only choice we had.

Your offenses have been many. To begin with, we had hoped that after all the hundreds of hours of training you received, you would understand the measures in place to prepare a crew for a launch. So when you showed up, preflight, with a bag packed by your wife, that rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. Jewelry? Oversize sunglasses? Sandwiches? On a rocket flight? That's poor judgment, Mr. John. I don't know if that's the way it's done in the rocky-roll world that you're used to, but at NASA we don't pack our own luggage.

You should also know that many on the ground crew mentioned that at zero hour (9 a.m.) you seemed to be intoxicated, possibly "high," as the hippies say. At the time, I thought that to be a baseless accusation and, since we had a mission to launch, I disregarded it. But the transmissions you made once the craft had entered its orbit made me wonder. Over and over we would ask for your readings on the effects of weightlessness, the craft's condition, and the status of the numerous scientific experiments onboard, but instead of giving us that information, you moped about missing the Earth and missing your wife and being lonely in space. Well, goddamn it, Mr. John, you knew what you were getting yourself into up there! It's not like riding on a rocky-roll tour bus! Of course it's lonely! It's space! Do you realize there are millions of people who'd give anything to be up there? It's a chance of a lifetime! And you're crying like a damn baby!

We expect a great deal from our astronauts, but perhaps the most important part of the job is an understanding of science. For our top men—Armstrong, Aldrin, and the like—understanding the science is more than a 9-to-5 job; they work at it seven days a week. Frankly, sir, I doubt your scientific acumen. After demanding data from you for days, you were only able to offer this insight: "Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids. In fact, it's cold as hell. And there's no one there to raise them if you did." First off, if you did what? That doesn't even make sense. Secondly, we did not send you up there to evaluate whether Mars is fit for human habitation or child rearing. Thirdly, your mission was not even going to Mars.

And another thing, the word is "astronaut." When you run around Cape Canaveral saying "I'm a rocket man!" it's embarrassing for everyone.

I am sorry to give you this information while you are still on your mission, Mr. John, and we realize that it's going to be a long, long time until touchdown brings you back here. But NASA felt that your performance was so dismal that we must act immediately. You are simply not the man we thought you were when we hired you for this position. Please consider all future assignments canceled. Your place will be taken by Major Tom, who we expect will be a more dedicated and reliable member of the team.

Sincerely,

James C. Fletcher
NASA Administrator

There are others here: http://www.mcsweeneys.net/links/popsong/

Speaking of the Mac, I was watching some video of Buckingham absolutely shredding the other night. That dude is an axe God.

He's an under-rated bastard.

If I make a thread about Destroyer, will anyone else post in it (with positive comments about the band)?

Marty! I just remembered! You were in my dream last night. :ohmy:

You, me, my husband, and at least one other person were all on a vehicle of some kind, trying to cross a super-busy highway, I think in the Netherlands. A few of us had ice cream cones, and now I think maybe ABEL was there, too. Not Rono, though.

:shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom