Interference Random Music Talk Part II: The Wrath of Khan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna bring a total left turn at the traffic light to this discussion... how about Metallica channeling Alice In Chains on Where The Wild Things Are from ReLoad? :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

Yes. And Kurt knew this. And he was planning on changing this. I get tremendously sad whenever I think about Kurt and the things he would have given us had he stuck around. It's an old tale, but it's true. I don't listen to Nirvana all that often because I tend to get overwhelmed with a weird mix of grief and anger. I don't know.

Oh well, whatever, nevermind.

Is their proof of this(the part about Kurt planning on changing this)? Something written and/or recorded that shows this? Just curious.

I'm gonna bring a total left turn at the traffic light to this discussion... how about Metallica channeling Alice In Chains on Where The Wild Things Are from ReLoad? :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

That song does sound like AIC doesn't it?

Those were interesting records, Load and Reload. A lot of people got down on them because they realized the 'different' direction the Black Album was starting towards, but they had some good stuff on them, especially Load. 'Bleeding Me' is great...especially the S&M version, that thing is amazing. 'Hero Of The Day'. 'Until It Sleeps'.

Now they seem to be trying to go back to their old-school style(Ride The Lightning, Master Of Puppets, ...And Justice For All), but you can't just 'go back' to that. Their attempt at going back to it with St. Anger was not good. It will be interesting to see if this new album of theirs in a few weeks is any good.

P.S.I LOVE their S&M live album, but I still can see no good reason for omitting 'Fade To Black' from it - that song was made for such an event.

Is their proof of this(the part about Kurt planning on changing this)? Something written and/or recorded that shows this? Just curious.

Yes, the proof is alive and well and living in Los Angeles. His name is Michael Stipe.

Kurt had been in talks with Stipe in the months leading to his death. They planned on collaborating and recording a wealth of material together. Kurt was tired of screaming. He wanted to change. And Michael was there for him and ready to help him change. The music those two would have created would have been beautiful. And Kurt decided to get loaded on heroin and put a shutgun in his mouth. His mouth. The mouth that did, and would have continued to, change lives all around the world.

A Shakespearean tragedy, really.

Yes, the proof is alive and well and living in Los Angeles. His name is Michael Stipe.

Kurt had been in talks with Stipe in the months leading to his death. They planned on collaborating and recording a wealth of material together. Kurt was tired of screaming. He wanted to change. And Michael was there for him and ready to help him change. The music those two would have created would have been beautiful. And Kurt decided to get loaded on heroin and put a shutgun in his mouth. His mouth. The mouth that did, and would have continued to, change lives all around the world.

A Shakespearean tragedy, really.

Do think there's any truth at all in the 'Courtney had Kurt killed and set it up to look like a suicide' conspiracies?

Do think there's any truth at all in the 'Courtney had Kurt killed and set it up to look like a suicide' conspiracies?

NO.

A resounding no.

Kurt was suicidal his entire life. In a broad sense of the word. I actually took an English course in college that studied suicide and its tendencies and the paths of artists who have taken their own life. I could go pretty in-depth here, but bottom line is...Kurt was a beautiful, troubled, and suicidal boy his entire life.

He killed himself. End of story.

That song does sound like AIC doesn't it?

Those were interesting records, Load and Reload. A lot of people got down on them because they realized the 'different' direction the Black Album was starting towards, but they had some good stuff on them, especially Load. 'Bleeding Me' is great...especially the S&M version, that thing is amazing. 'Hero Of The Day'. 'Until It Sleeps'.

Have you seen my recent celebratory post on Load/Reload yet?

U2 Feedback - View Single Post - Metallica is back !

:wink:

Yeah St. Anger was a terrible attempt and miserable failure at going back to the 80s thrash sound! Keep changing, guys! What you did in the 90s was the right thing to do... Why play the same thrash forever? I blame the idiot fans. :doh:

And Kurt decided to get loaded on heroin

There's the tragedy right there. :| :sigh:

He killed himself. End of story.

There's a great book called Love and Death: The Murder of Kurt Cobain.

I think the most interesting thing is the fact that papers were found in her purse on which she was practicing getting her handwriting to look exactly like Kurt's. Who does that? And for what purpose? Add that to the fact that the last part of Kurt's final note looks a lot different from the rest of it and it really makes you wonder.

There's a great book called Love and Death: The Murder of Kurt Cobain.

I think the most interesting thing is the fact that papers were found in her purse on which she was practicing getting her handwriting to look exactly like Kurt's. Who does that? And for what purpose? Add that to the fact that the last part of Kurt's final note looks a lot different from the rest of it and it really makes you wonder.

I'm not a big conspiracy theory guy, but, I did not know any of that.....any other tidbits like that which contribute to this theory?

Maybe it's last night's rum, maybe it's something else, but I am sitting in my chair right now thoroughly angered by this conspiracy nonsense. Smoke is pouring out of my ears. Let's get serious. Enough of the Courtney killed Kurt bullshit. Whatever. i won't get into it. Nevermind me. I need to calm down.

One baby to another says I'm lucky to've met you...

I'm not a big conspiracy theory guy, but, I did not know any of that.....any other tidbits like that which contribute to this theory?

At the risk of making GAF spontaneously combust, yes, there are other tidbits floating around out there. Whether or not one believes they equal a conspiracy or not is up for interpretation, but I found the documentary interesting at the very least.

Courtney Love's mom wrote a book a few years ago, about her life and also about raising Courtney. I can't say if it's a load of lopsided hooey or not, but it was certainly some fascinating insight into Courtney.

Look at this site. It's the best site you can find for information on the Courtney killed Kurt stuff. It belongs to the private detective that Courtney herself hired to find Kurt when he went missing. This guy lays out, right on the front page, a lot of compelling evidence that makes you think it's very possible.

One of the most compelling things is that Kurt's body had three times the lethal dose of heroin in it at the time of death. Three times the lethal dose of heroin would immediately incapacitate anyone. If he took that much heroin, he could not have pulled the trigger.

Read more.

cobaincase.com - The Kurt Cobain Murder Investigation by Tom Grant

At the risk of making GAF spontaneously combust, yes, there are other tidbits floating around out there. Whether or not one believes they equal a conspiracy or not is up for interpretation, but I found the documentary interesting at the very least.

Courtney Love's mom wrote a book a few years ago, about her life and also about raising Courtney. I can't say if it's a load of lopsided hooey or not, but it was certainly some fascinating insight into Courtney.

I wouldn't worry about GAF, he'll be fine.

I guess that because I cared so little for Nirvana/Cobain that all of this totally escaped my attention. Interesting.

I'm finally back from Vegas, where I saw the Beatles Cirque du Soleil show. Anyone else seen it yet?

It was one of the most bad ass things I've ever seen.

I have an aversion to Cirque du Soleil and Cirque du Soleil type things, but I do actually want to see that.

Pearl Jam's Ten was always the better album for me coming out of the grunge years. Have you listened to that one lately? :wink:

I had it in my collection for a while, but I feel the same way with Pearl Jam as with Nirvana - I'm just happy to have a Best Of. I like quite a few of their songs, but I just lose interest whenever I try to listen to them in large doses.

On Nirvana, and grunge, I kinda agree with both sides of the fence. To explain, I LOVED Nevermind when it came out. It was one of the first albums I remember listening to on repeat in my early teenage years. Even though I seem to only listen to them once every 4 or 5 years now, its one of those albums where I can still sing along to almost every word. Even though it's an album I still can enjoy and have extremely fond memories and feeling for, I still think Nirvana are unfortunately drastically overrated. I'm surprised to hear so many people call them a "punk band", as I see them fitting in far more with the late '80's and early '90's alt. rock/ college radio type scene. In retrospect, I think one of the reasons I sometimes get annoyed by the "glorified in death" status is because there really were a lot of other contemporaries of theirs in that scene who were just as good, if not better or more important, who now get next to no mention. Oh wellz. Another annoyance is that outside of Nevermind, there are really only have a handful of tracks of theirs that I don't consider forgettable.

Age wise, the entire grunge period started while I was in Jr. High and was essentially over by the time I got to college. I got into most all the big bands of the period with their first albums and then moved on with essentially all of them and the entire genre. It's funny to me how many people younger than me glorify the era, since at the time I just remember everyone thinking it was annoying or moving onto the other alt. bands and music of the time. Of course, it could just be that when Zooropa came out in '93, I immediately found all of grunge lacking as that was the beginning of my fanatic period. It's kinda sad though, because I more or less cringe when I even hear most of the bands of this era mentioned now as I originally loved some of them and their albums, but now I get annoyed as hell to even mention anyone say "grunge". Now I kinda think that if you glorify grunge, you either didn't live through it or were so stoned that you actually thought something cool was happening. :wink:

Radiohead sucks...Oasis rules?
BB6 Music News report -

The Hold Steady's guitarist Tad Kubler has slammed Radiohead's experimental musical approach.

"I think they've lost the plot," he said. "What are they doing? Where are they going? What's happening? I don't get it any more. They lost me.

"I still appreciate what they're doing, or what they're trying to do. But I think they're trying too hard not to be Radiohead. That seems a little ridiculous to me."

"I like them as a rock band, all the buttons and sequencing and stuff like that I don't really care for. I'm a fan of rock music and what they're doing now I don't think is very good."

Kubler also said Muse "don't do it for me" but he praised Oasis.

He told BBC 6 Music: "I love Oasis. I love them. I think that what they do is earnest. I think it's honest."

Thoughts?

Radiohead sucks...Oasis rules?
BB6 Music News report -

The Hold Steady's guitarist Tad Kubler has slammed Radiohead's experimental musical approach.

"I think they've lost the plot," he said. "What are they doing? Where are they going? What's happening? I don't get it any more. They lost me.

"I still appreciate what they're doing, or what they're trying to do. But I think they're trying too hard not to be Radiohead. That seems a little ridiculous to me."

"I like them as a rock band, all the buttons and sequencing and stuff like that I don't really care for. I'm a fan of rock music and what they're doing now I don't think is very good."

Kubler also said Muse "don't do it for me" but he praised Oasis.

He told BBC 6 Music: "I love Oasis. I love them. I think that what they do is earnest. I think it's honest."

Thoughts?

He's an idiot.

He's an idiot.

Radiohead, Hold Steady, and Oasis are three of my favorite bands so I just find it interesting to see what members of those bands think about their contemporaries.

Kubler is one hell of a guitar-player by the way.

I also like how he threw in that Muse "don't do it" for him. Because I feel the same way.

He's entitled to his own opinion, and he made it fairly obvious what kind of music he likes and doesn't like in the article. I like his guitar work, but I really don't care what kind of music he likes or doesn't like at the end of the day. To be entirely honestly, I'm surprised he ever liked Radiohead, knows who Muse are, and has heard anything other than 'Wonderwall' by Oasis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom