Interference Random Music Talk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
COBL_04 said:
hey. a bit of an idea popped into my head... though id post it here and see what people think.

so we do a little 'interference's top ten songs of all time' compeititon. theres innumerable numbers of these lists, but i think because were all so diverse and have different tastes, we'd get quite a good list.

whoever wants to compete could send me a pm or email or whatever naming their top ten songs of all time, a bit of an explanation for why they're there, and then after a month or so compile all the lists for an overall top 20.

howzat?

It's a good idea in theory, and actually, I think something similar was done on another forum I went to, which was only slightly smaller than this one. I've just got a feeling it might not really be worth it, though.

So it seems a little war of the words has sprouted up between Noel Gallagher and Jay-Z.

The Glastonbury festival announced that Jay-Z would be headlining. Noel doesn't like it. Oasis have played a few memorable headlining gigs at Glasto, and here's what Noel has to say about Jay-Z playing a slot there....

“Glastonbury has a tradition of guitar music.....I'm not having hip-hop at Glastonbury. It's wrong..."

And apparently Jay-Z has listened to What's the Story (Morning Glory)? because he felt the need to respond to Noel with this....

“We don't play guitars, Noel, but hip-hop has put in its work like any other form of music. This headline show is just a natural progression. Rap music is still evolving. From Afrika Bambaataa DJ-ing in the Bronx and Run DMC going platinum, to Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince winning the first rap Grammy, I'm just next in the line. We have to respect each others' genre of music and move forward."

So, while I wait for Noel to open his big mouth again with a rebuttal, I thought I'd ask what you guys think?

GirlsAloudFan said:
“Glastonbury has a tradition of guitar music.....I'm not having hip-hop at Glastonbury. It's wrong..."

Oh, so Glastonbury is Noel's festival, is it?

Noel's done nothing here but prove what a pratt he is. I don't care if he doesn't like hip-hop, it's beside the point.

Jay-Z responded all classy-like. Good for him.

Oasis have always been, and are still a bunch of fuckwads.

This doesn't surprise me in the least, and instead of aping classic bands, Jay-Z has actually been a breakthrough force in his chosen genre of music.

He's got 99 Problems and a monobrow ain't one.

Hey everyone,

I think I might be on the verge of really getting into Pavement.

I am most familiar with Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain...I fucking love Cut your Hair, Range Life, and Gold Soundz.

I get the feeling that Malkmus was greatly inspired by Michael Stipe....in terms of lyrical ideas and style. Although he does a good job of hiding that influence behind screams and blasts of guitar. Maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, what should I do next?

Go backwards to Slanted and Enchanted? Or move forward to the rest of their catalogue?

I'm feeling it, guys. Pavement might very well be the next band that I sink my teeth into.

Thanks.

Best Band Of The 90's.

Funny you should mention Stipe when talking about Pavement. Malkmus & Co. did a song for a benefit album in the mid 90's that actually mentions the band, Reckoning, and several song titles from that album. The whole song's pretty much about R.E.M., in a surreal setting. They are certainly fans.

I would suggest going to Wowee Zowee, actually, the next album after CRCR. It's a bit less polished for the most part, and has a handful of songs that harken back to the sound of Slanted, while also demonstrating their ability to go soft, or epic, or weird, or country, etc. It's a bit like their White Album, and it's actually considered a favorite among many Pavement fans (including myself).

After that, I would go back to Slanted (you'll be a bit more prepared for it after WZ), and then forward to Brighten the Corners and Terror Twilight.

Enjoy. I envy your first encounters with greatness.

The Sad Punk said:

It's a good idea in theory, and actually, I think something similar was done on another forum I went to, which was only slightly smaller than this one. I've just got a feeling it might not really be worth it, though.

Well I'll leave it here hopefully more people see it, cos I think itd be great fun... but i do kinda see where youre coming from.

I'm surprised I haven't been shot down yet with the typical sarcastic replies of grumpy people.

Thanks, Lazarus. I think I will definitely make Wowee Zowee my next purchase. And that particular album cover will be hard to miss when I'm at the music store. I love it.

B00007GZFH.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

It's nearing 4 am here and I have to be at work in about 5 hours, but I'm just sitting here listening to Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain over and over again. It's got a hold of me. A vice-like grip.

If I enjoy Wowee Zowee as much as this one, I might have to change my dumbass username to SteveMalkmusFan.

lazarus said:
Funny you should mention Stipe when talking about Pavement. Malkmus & Co. did a song for a benefit album in the mid 90's that actually mentions the band, Reckoning, and several song titles from that album. The whole song's pretty much about R.E.M., in a surreal setting. They are certainly fans.

That would be "The Unseen Power of the Picket Fence."

All I remember from that song was the part where Malkmus sings (or yells?) "Time After Time was my least favorite song!" Heh.

I've tried to get into Pavement. And have failed miserably.

There's a cover of 'Camera' on the Expanded/Deluxe version of Crooked Rain Crooked Rain.

u2popmofo said:
GAF, please watch this video and then come back and tell Laz and myself how awesome it is.

Major Leagues

How awesome is that video? Very awesome.

I now have a strange desire to play miniature golf.

Lovely song, too. After it was done, I clicked on the video for Spit on a Stranger and that video and song were equally awesome.

I'm picking up Wowee Zowee after work, and I'll grab Slanted and Enchanted too if I'm feeling especially naughty. :hyper:

I know a couple of posters here who may be interested in this news... :wink: Guess who is playing soon at BB Kings in NYC for $25 a ticket???

Gin Blossoms! ;)

$25????? I saw Flaming Lips and Sonic Youth together for about that much. $1.25 would be better.

My mom saw Gin Blossoms for free one year at Virginia Beach. She said they were pretty good. All two songs.

corianderstem said:

That would be "The Unseen Power of the Picket Fence."

All I remember from that song was the part where Malkmus sings (or yells?) "Time After Time was my least favorite song!" Heh.

I've tried to get into Pavement. And have failed miserably.

I'm assuming you have the "No Alternative" compilation? As far as those things go, it was one of the bests. Unreleased tracks from Bob Mould, Buffalo Tom (an AMAZING song), Urge Overkill, and Nirvana (Verse Chorus Verse), among others.

And the operative word in your last sentence was FAIL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom