Interference Random Music Talk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the Elbow version, don't care for the Jose Gonzalez. Actually, I haven't really cared for any of the songs I've heard from Mr. Gonzalez.

corianderstem said:
I like the Elbow version, don't care for the Jose Gonzalez. Actually, I haven't really cared for any of the songs I've heard from Mr. Gonzalez.

I've don't think I've ever even listened to one of his original songs. I downloaded the Massive Attack and The Knife covers from iTunes, and I enjoy them mainly because I like the originals.

I do think it's pretty lame that his biggest songs are covers that sadly a lot of people don't seem to realize are covers. The first time I heard 'Teardrop' at a record store, I had to tell the people that owned the store that it was a Massive Attack song. I also had to tell one of my friends (who actually is a fan of The Knife) that 'Heartbeats' is one of their songs, not the other way around.

I'll watch the Elbow vid after work.

Does anyone remember the band called The Darkness?

Goddam they fucking rock.

No joke.

Story has it that Liam Gallagher was on the piss at a bar in London and saw the lead singer of the Darkness and stumbled up to him and said "Top band, man...top band."

If Liam Gallagher is drunk and actually gives you a compliment....i think that says something.

The Darkness....debut album 'Permission to Land'....fucking brilliant. I'm sure you guys remember the hokey video for their lead single 'I believe in a thing called love'....

But have you heard tracks like 'Black Shuck' and 'Get your hands off my woman', etc.?

If you haven't you should. They just made my hungover morning.

Also, some quick notes on R.E.M.:

1. How ballsy and badass was it to release What's the Frequency Kenneth as the lead single off of the follow up album to AFTP?

2. Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite makes me dance in a fit of uncontrollable joy and Stipian hand-gesturing.

GirlsAloudFan said:

1. How ballsy and badass was it to release What's the Frequency Kenneth as the lead single off of the follow up album to AFTP?

2. Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite makes me dance in a fit of uncontrollable joy and Stipian hand-gesturing.

Fucking WIN for both comments! :love: Sidewinder is close to being my favorite REM song only cos it's so nuts in a completely awesome way! As for Stipe's hand gesturing, the Losing My Religion video is the best example! :lol: :drool:

Teardrop... heard both Jose's and Elbow's versions. Jose had a very interesting video but I wasn't too fond of that arrangement. Elbow... was good but it's pretty much the same as the original. Even the video looks exactly the same. :scratch: The original vocal by Liz Fraser = :combust:

uh... what else was I gonna add?.................. I forgot. :huh:

Oh yeah... I remember... this is random but when you buy a CD and copy it to itunes and put the CD away.. don't you guys feel like the album gets totally lost in the library. I mean sometimes I literally forget that I got something and want to listen to it. :huh: I guess that's one of the disadvantages of mp3s. At least with the CD, it's staring at me in the face and I'll be like Ooooh I never really listened to that one properly, lemme give it a spin!

u2popmofo said:

I've don't think I've ever even listened to one of his original songs. I downloaded the Massive Attack and The Knife covers from iTunes, and I enjoy them mainly because I like the originals.

I do think it's pretty lame that his biggest songs are covers that sadly a lot of people don't seem to realize are covers. The first time I heard 'Teardrop' at a record store, I had to tell the people that owned the store that it was a Massive Attack song. I also had to tell one of my friends (who actually is a fan of The Knife) that 'Heartbeats' is one of their songs, not the other way around.

I'll watch the Elbow vid after work.

I'm really only familiar with his work with Zero 7. I've heard a handful of his original songs, but nothing that really sticks out. I should give him another listen.

Zootlesque said:
Oh yeah... I remember... this is random but when you buy a CD and copy it to itunes and put the CD away.. don't you guys feel like the album gets totally lost in the library. I mean sometimes I literally forget that I got something and want to listen to it. :huh: I guess that's one of the disadvantages of mp3s. At least with the CD, it's staring at me in the face and I'll be like Ooooh I never really listened to that one properly, lemme give it a spin!

I agree. Perhaps it's materialistic to an extent but I like to hold the actual object. It makes the whole artistic endeavor more tangible to me. And I'm glad I don't have an MP3 player in my car, so I can still pick out CDs to listen to when I drive.

Of course, there's a lot of stuff I have now that isn't...uhh...on CD, so that's a problem...

GirlsAloudFan said:

:lmao: Funny someone mentions that song...my professor wrote a freaking 30 page academic article about it. Love the song though, it's so out there, and I love the little giggle Stipe does in the middle. :drool:

Zootlesque said:

Agreed. That ALWAYS happens to me. :huh: I don't even know how many unlistened to cds I have on my harddrive, ones I ripped intending to get to, someday.

Friday Night is a great pop song from the first Darkness album.

And the lead singer would be a lot cooler if he had beaten Liam Gallagher to a bloody pulp after receiving that compliment.

New Verve Tune?

w w w. t h e v e r v e o n l i n e . c o m

(Sorry, this site won't let me post straight link)

This site has a song streaming over it.

It's not an old track or obscure b-side. I'm sure of that.

A new album track? demo?

Kinda sounds like the description for "Appalachian Springs." Enjoyable regardless.

GirlsAloudFan said:
Does anyone remember the band called The Darkness?

They weren't built to last and the second album already felt redundant, but the first album is fun as hell, :up: It always puts a smile upon my face.

I just found out that Mark Lanegan and Isobel Campbell have made another album together! :combust: I LOVED "Ballad of the Broken Seas", their voices work together so well.

yertle-the-turtle said:
I saw Control today, the film about Joy Division.

I liked it. A lot.

I still need to see that. Looks like it's not available here to rent until June 3rd.

Back to The Darkness, 'Christmas Time (Don't Let The Bells End)' is easily one of my most listened to Christmas songs every December.

New Elvis Costello & The Imposters (sic) is out. Or available, at least.

Very upbeat, very good, but I don't know that I'd say it's up there with When I Was Cruel. May be the best thing since then, however.

hey. a bit of an idea popped into my head... though id post it here and see what people think.

so we do a little 'interference's top ten songs of all time' compeititon. theres innumerable numbers of these lists, but i think because were all so diverse and have different tastes, we'd get quite a good list.

whoever wants to compete could send me a pm or email or whatever naming their top ten songs of all time, a bit of an explanation for why they're there, and then after a month or so compile all the lists for an overall top 20.

howzat?

martha said:
I like the idea, but you may get 100 songs with one vote each.

well, that is true. but if enough people would dig it, then there'd be plenty of entries i would have thought.

and itd be counted by number of times on a list, not for example, 10 points for song #1, 9 for song #2, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom