Interference Random Music Talk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
GirlsAloudFan said:

How awesome is that video? Very awesome.

I now have a strange desire to play miniature golf.

Lovely song, too. After it was done, I clicked on the video for Spit on a Stranger and that video and song were equally awesome.

I'm picking up Wowee Zowee after work, and I'll grab Slanted and Enchanted too if I'm feeling especially naughty. :hyper:

Yeah, that's funny, but that video has NOTHING on Shady Lane, directed by a Mr. Spike Jonez.

One of the most bizarre videos I've ever seen, that if you're into Pavement's humor, is a most excellent piss-take.

0:55-1:06, Steve West's contemplation, Spiral Stairs with that WTF oxygen nose-thing, and the nod from Ibold--GENIUS.

Also, 1:36, Bob N.'s dance moves at the gas station. You can't write this stuff, folks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnClsDe1aeA

And then there's the video for b-side Painted Soldiers, where Sprial Stairs fires everyone in the band, only to hire Veruca Salt (love those gals) to replace them in a video--well, you can only imagine... and it has Ibold as a pimp FTW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlZ0EoBhUeo

corianderstem said:
I did a stint in a mall music store in 1995. "Record Town."

Ha!

Wasn't that the chain of stores only found in wasteland suburban malls? And somewhere on the other side of the floorplan would be their sister store, Tape World?

I'm not making this up!

lazarus said:
Wasn't that the chain of stores only found in wasteland suburban malls? And somewhere on the other side of the floorplan would be their sister store, Tape World?

I'm not making this up!

You are correct, sir!

I started working at Tape World, but when it shut down (shocking, I know), the few of us that worked there went to work at Record Town.

I was known as the girl who knew all the songs. If a customer asked "what's that one song by that one girl and it has that part that goes 'baby baby yeah'" they'd go, "Where's Alicia? She'll know."

It's unfortunate you never made it to CD City, or at least the short-lived DAT Depot, which was one of those mall carts.

Are you sure you weren't the girl who knew all about the old 78s? "What's that one song from 1928 that goes 'dear, yes my dear'?"

gramophone-nostalgia.jpg

lazarus said:
"What's that one song from 1928 that goes 'dear, yes my dear'?"[/IMG]

Sure, that's from "Stock Market Heaven: It'll Never Go Down!" by Philomena Flapper and the Bluebelles.

lazarus said:
I'm assuming you have the "No Alternative" compilation? As far as those things go, it was one of the bests. Unreleased tracks from Bob Mould, Buffalo Tom (an AMAZING song), Urge Overkill, and Nirvana (Verse Chorus Verse), among others.

I totally skimmed right over this the other day.

I used to have that CD but got rid of it in one of my frantic CD-purging fests of yesteryear.

I've gotten better about holding onto CDs even if there's just one or two songs I like on it.

A quick recap of my adventures with Pavement over the last week:

So I went and bought both Slanted and Enchanted and Wowee Zowee. I've spent some time with both albums over the last few days.

I took your advice, Laz, and listened to Wowee first. Better production, better guitar playing. It seems simultaneously more mature and wild than what I'd heard from them before. I love it.

Then I went and attacked Slanted. And let me tell you...it did a number on me. A beautiful mess. The melodies on these songs are already lodged in my head. Why didn't anyone tell me that there was a song as amazing as 'Here' out there in the galaxy? I'm really glad I got these albums....however....

I still can't get over Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain. It's easily my favorite of the three and its slowly working its way up my list of all-time favorite albums.

I think the song Range Life single-handedly spawned 1,000 shitty imitation bands. Wow. Good shit.

Crooked Rain is a great rock album, and there are a handful of some of the most amazing songs ever, but for me Hit the Plane Down is so bad, it really brings down the value of the whole enterprise for me.

I'm not crazy about Heaven is a Truck, either. Luckily the album ends in grand epic fashion with Fillmore Jive.

What I prefer about WZ is that it's much weirder, and a fuller representation of what they're truly capable of, and for me, with this band, more=better.

I'm sure you will like Brighten the Corners and Terror Twilight, too. Malkmus's guitar work only gets better and better. These albums (especially TT) have been slagged by snobby Pavement fans, but I think hearing them all in quick succession will make it easier to just take them at face value, both collections of great tunes by a great band.

I would also suggest tracking down a copy of the Slow Century DVD. It's a 2-disc set that has a compilation of all their videos (with optional band commentary that's hilarious), an hour-long documentary about the band, and two concerts from their final tour. There's also various nuggets of joy including easter eggs.

Well worth the purchase.

I'm giving The Moon & Antarctica a very close listen tonight. I absolutely adore the first four tracks, but it's all downhill from there. I really dislike Tiny Cities Made Of Ashes.

But don't know very many albums with a stretch of songs as good as 3rd Planet--->Gravity Rides Everything--->Dark Center Of The Universe--->Perfect Disguise, so I will press on.

lazarus said:

I'm sure you will like Brighten the Corners and Terror Twilight, too.

I actually think I listen to Brighten the Corners more than any other Pavement album, so I guess it might be my favorite. I highly recommend it to GAF, as I see he's liking the "catchier" side of their work (which I do as well).

I too like Terror Twilight quite a bit. Good ole Nigel did a good job producing it, I think. Aren't some of those "Radioheads" even on one or two of the songs?

I've never seen the video to Shady Lane, I'm going to watch it after I get done listening to Narrow Stairs.

LemonMelon said:
I'm giving The Moon & Antarctica a very close listen tonight. I absolutely adore the first four tracks, but it's all downhill from there. I really dislike Tiny Cities Made Of Ashes.

But don't know very many albums with a stretch of songs as good as 3rd Planet--->Gravity Rides Everything--->Dark Center Of The Universe--->Perfect Disguise, so I will press on.

I found I enjoy the album much more these days. Paper Thin Walls is incredible, and the album keeps its atmosphere going throughout, so the second half still has value, even if it doesn't have the knockouts of the first.

LemonMelon said:

I believe Moon and Antartica was my introduction to Modest Mouse. I remember having 3rd Planet in my head at the job I then had for weeks. 'Gravity Rides Everything' is such a fantastic song.

I too sometimes get a little bored in the middle section of the album, but I think 'Wild Pack of Family Dogs' and 'Paper Thin Walls' are just as good as the first part of the album. There are a couple of the longer songs that I really like as well, but looking at the tracklisting right now, I can't remember which those are.

I still feel like Lonesome Crowded West is the best overall album.

u2popmofo said:
I too like Terror Twilight quite a bit. Good ole Nigel did a good job producing it, I think. Aren't some of those "Radioheads" even on one or two of the songs?

Jonny plays harmonica on Platform Blues and Billie.

And yes, Nigel's work with this mellower stuff is great, same with his work on Beck's Mutations and Sea Change.

I'm surprised by how much I'm liking the Santogold album. I'd heard a lot of comparisons to M.I.A., but I hear a lot more pop sound on a lot of the songs than with M.I.A. But there are definitely a chunk of songs that could be on an M.I.A. album.

Definitely going to pick this up.

Saracene said:
So... I'm interested in adding more Elton John to my collection. I've already got "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road", what should I get next?

Tumbleweed Connection. Easily.

I'm liking Alligator A LOT more than Boxer.

Also, the new Van Morrison, Keep it Simple, may be the best thing he's done since Hymns to the Silence.

u2popmofo said:
I believe Moon and Antartica was my introduction to Modest Mouse. I remember having 3rd Planet in my head at the job I then had for weeks. 'Gravity Rides Everything' is such a fantastic song.

I still feel like Lonesome Crowded West is the best overall album.

What's their earlier stuff like compared to "Good News for People Who Love Bad News"?

I couldn't get into that album at all when I first bought it, then listened to it again a couple of weeks ago and for some reason it really clicked. Just another proof that one should be merciful during a CD purge, :)

lazarus said:
I'm liking Alligator A LOT more than Boxer.

That's because it's 12x the album Boxer is. I've said it before and I'll say it again, even though Boxer was in my year end list, it was still probably the biggest disappointment of the year for me.

sad face :(

Saracene said:

What's their earlier stuff like compared to "Good News for People Who Love Bad News"?

It holds up well. At least, based on the hits I've heard from the newer material, it's much stronger. I hate Float On and Dashboard is just OK.

So you can stream the new Hold Steady song 'Sequestered in Memphis' over at the ol' Pitchfork. And on their myspace. And probably other places, too.

First listen and I'm liking itttt.

I couldn't get into that album at all when I first bought it, then listened to it again a couple of weeks ago and for some reason it really clicked. Just another proof that one should be merciful during a CD purge, :)

Not sure how I missed this. Their "middle" stage of music is really good. A lot of the die hards prefer it to the more recent "poppy" stage. Essentially, it's the same Modest Mouse, but with a little more experimentation, weirdness, and quirkiness. The writing on Lonesome Crowded West and Moon & Antarctica is fantastic though. Interesting lyrics, interesting music, etc. I personally think that if you like either of their recent albums, you'd find Moon and Antarctica and/or Lonesome Crowded West pretty good.

GAF, there's a thread on the Hold Steady track a few threads down.

I think I like the new Black Keys album. Another one to add to the ol' wish list.

Oh, and you know who I finally like now? Feist. She did absolutely nothing for me at first, but I gave The Reminder another listen recently, and it must have been the right time and right frame of mine, because I really, really dug it.

Oh, and I think I definitely don't care for the new My Morning Jacket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom