Interference Random Movie Talk V: The Final Frontier

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
God, LMP, that was as good as I'd hoped. I've wanted to do something like that for so long, but now I don't think I should :lol:

It's a toss-up for me between that intro and the last section. I mean the whole thing was good, but I think the intro was probably the best.

It's a toss-up for me between that intro and the last section. I mean the whole thing was good, but I think the intro was probably the best.

Thanks, I'd probably say the same, too, although the villains one was my favorite to put together. I hit a snag about a month ago and started chipping away at that section, then the rest came easier... you know, when Final Cut wasn't crapping out on me every 20 minutes.

Thanks, I'd probably say the same, too, although the villains one was my favorite to put together. I hit a snag about a month ago and started chipping away at that section, then the rest came easier... you know, when Final Cut wasn't crapping out on me every 20 minutes.

Oh but of course.

The villain's part was nice, if not a tad on the creepy side lol.

Great work, LMP. I can't imagine how much time it must have taken to get the music to line up with the clips at exactly the right points. I've tried stuff like this before, I know how frustrating it can get.

That clip reminded me of a few things.

Little Miss Sunshine moves me. It's sort of indescribable. The characters in that movie are so damn human. Those scenes, like the one you included, where they all had to push the van and then jump into it...I don't know...read that idea on paper and it doesn't sound like anything special, but see it on screen...it's magic.

And the ET clip...if I had to pick one favorite image from all of Speilberg's work to be the only one to remember him by, I just might pick the bike-riding-across-the-moon image from ET. There's something utterly timeless and universal about that image.

The Animal House clip reminded me of this vital fact: John Belusi died way-x-infinity too soon.

Again, great job :up:

I'll watch your video some time today YLB.

Other random tidbits for discussion.

1. I should be seeing Ashes of Time Redux tomorrow. WOOOooo.

2. Last I heard the live-action Ghost in the Shell picture is without director. Who should it be? My gut jumps to the Wachowski bros. but that's probably just because of how much of an influence GitS had on the Matrix. And on top of that, they seem to have a pretty solid contract/relationship with Warner Bros so I'm not sure how that would work anyway. Maybe Danny Boyle or someone like that? Maybe not. I dunno.

3. Exclusive: 'Dark Streets' Poster Premiere - Cinematical
I've never heard of this before, but it sounds completely awesome. Yes?

I've always liked the week leading up to Halloween because there are horror movies on practically every TV channel at every hour of the day. Yesterday while sitting in bed recovering from the weekend I was able to catch all or parts of A Nightmare On Elm Street, Poltergeist, Pet Sematary 1 and 2, and Halloween 4.

Cheesy 80's horror movies FTW.

I've always liked the week leading up to Halloween because there are horror movies on practically every TV channel at every hour of the day.

By the same token, I'd say that makes this part of the year the absolute worst time for watching movies on television.

Although I did get to watch Poltergeist last night, so that's the one thing Halloween is good for.

And I suppose I should probably go watch the little bastard's video now, shouldn't I.

OK.

Pretty slick, YLB.

Honest response time... I didn't dig the first segment at all (ET music). Felt the clips more often conflicted with the music than related to it. And not just the strange king of conflicts as seeing thrillers or darker picture with it, but even something like Tennenbaums seemed really misplaced. It got continually better though as it went along. The villains segment was fantastic, though unfortunately seemed to be the shortest. I was conflicted with the last segment. First of all, there were way too many Batman clips in the whole piece for my liking (but that's not a judgement as to the quality so much as personal taste), but I really got excited when you chose to include the best musical composition from the entirety of the Batman franchise to conclude the video. But the last 10 seconds or so seemed sort of aimless, and just fizzled out. The music was building to a great finish for the whole thing, and I thought the line from The Professional would have probably been a better place to end it, unless you found some more fitting clip(s) to finish the whole thing.

So if anything, I'd suggest reworking the final 20 seconds or so, and maybe deal with some of the tonal problems in the first segment. I am trying to think of a particular scene from Kane you could use to end the thing, since I thought its conclusion you made was kind of wasted, and it would be hard to find a more fitting performer to end this fantastic video with than Orson Welles.

Ouch.

My favorite: "This IS Walter!!!" from The Burbs. No one ever talks about that film.

The Heat thing brings it to a bit of a dead stop, and the edit out of it is a bit weird. Either include De Niro's full response, or not at all.

The villains section: Near perfect, wish it was longer. A suggestion: it should end with Travis Bickle pulling the finger trigger and cut to black, not with Toht melting.

The following, "romantic" section is also great (and also too short), though the Indy clip seems a bit out of place as it seems more goofy and sarcastic than magical like the others.

Great edit from Lawrence to the Raiders shot. You have a great sense for matching cuts.

re: Lance's suggestions, Rosebud is too obvious, but maybe the shot where Kane stands up in the balcony of the theatre and is the only one clapping for Susan Alexander?

The villains section: Near perfect, wish it was longer. A suggestion: it should end with Travis Bickle pulling the finger trigger and cut to black, not with Toht melting.

re: Lance's suggestions, Rosebud is too obvious, but maybe the shot where Kane stands up in the balcony of the theatre and is the only one clapping for Susan Alexander?

Agreed and agreed. Probably the best idea for a Kane clip too.

OK.

Pretty slick, YLB.

Honest response time... I didn't dig the first segment at all (ET music). Felt the clips more often conflicted with the music than related to it. And not just the strange king of conflicts as seeing thrillers or darker picture with it, but even something like Tennenbaums seemed really misplaced. It got continually better though as it went along. The villains segment was fantastic, though unfortunately seemed to be the shortest. I was conflicted with the last segment. First of all, there were way too many Batman clips in the whole piece for my liking (but that's not a judgement as to the quality so much as personal taste), but I really got excited when you chose to include the best musical composition from the entirety of the Batman franchise to conclude the video. But the last 10 seconds or so seemed sort of aimless, and just fizzled out. The music was building to a great finish for the whole thing, and I thought the line from The Professional would have probably been a better place to end it, unless you found some more fitting clip(s) to finish the whole thing.

So if anything, I'd suggest reworking the final 20 seconds or so, and maybe deal with some of the tonal problems in the first segment. I am trying to think of a particular scene from Kane you could use to end the thing, since I thought its conclusion you made was kind of wasted, and it would be hard to find a more fitting performer to end this fantastic video with than Orson Welles.

Ouch.

My favorite: "This IS Walter!!!" from The Burbs. No one ever talks about that film.

The Heat thing brings it to a bit of a dead stop, and the edit out of it is a bit weird. Either include De Niro's full response, or not at all.

The following, "romantic" section is also great (and also too short), though the Indy clip seems a bit out of place as it seems more goofy and sarcastic than magical like the others.

Great edit from Lawrence to the Raiders shot. You have a great sense for matching cuts.

Agreed and agreed. Probably the best idea for a Kane clip too.

Thanks for the criticisms and I agree to a certain extent. Those sections presented the most problems for me, and I was more or less working on a "what films haven't I included" directive and trying to piece those together than a re-shuffling of things together. Rosebud being burnt almost closed out the piece entirely, but I wanted to see Kane in some degree... the idea Laz brought up is pretty awesome.

The Warriors -> Tenenbaums cut was a trouble spot, too, and I just decided to keep it in. Trainspotting -> Warriors worked, and I thought Tenenbaums -> Pee-Wee worked, but they don't gel particularly well. Anchorman -> North by Northwest was surprisingly well-matched, in retrospect. I just wanted to show objects and characters in motion more than focus on the thematic content of each film, which I would do more in the other segments. Any segments with flashes of characters in section was pretty much filler, since I wanted to include them in some degree.

About the Heat scene... I really don't know what to do with it. It's probably one of my 5 favorite scenes ever and I had a hard time cutting up for pacing's sake, but I think it shows the progression from the Comedy/Heroes section to the Villains part fairly well, but could be improved. If anything, I'd put the closing shots at the re-tooled ending.

If there was one section I wanted to lengthen, it would be the romantic section, but I didn't know what else to fill it with, so I kept cutting away at the Raging Bull track until it was the version in the final video. There was about 30-45 seconds more of song in the original version.

Star Wars, Batman, and Indy were used to fill in the blanks I had. So the Indy/Marion "Trust Me" thing would be the first thing removed, most likely, as would the BaleBatman ending shot.

Glad you mentioned the Lawrence/Raiders cut, since that was the one cut that pretty much motivated me to make the whole thing. That and the Wonka/Vertigo cut are my two favorites of the whole thing.

I do appreciate that you guys took the time to watch it and I also appreciate hearing all of your criticisms. I hope to either address them in a modified version or in a future video or something.

I liked the Wonka/Vertigo clips and how they're cut, but again, the music bothered me tonally with them. Maybe put together some more films of the same ilk and create another new separate section with the whole dream/nightmare/trip-out vibe?

If I do another one of these things, I'll certainly try to focus more on a singular mood or tone and work around that, but for now, I'll probably only make some minor alterations to this video and move on. It's better to start fresh with something else than try to overwork something even more to death, you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom