Interference Random Movie Talk II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pfilm10731677608759.jpg

You guys really need to see Empire of the Sun. Spielberg's nearly forgotten masterpiece / ode to David Lean.

Plus, it's Bale's first film and he's incredible.

Imagine being Luke Skywalker...you're a fucking farm boy all your life....with dreams, sure, but still...you're raised in a farm setting and in a short period of time, your Aunt & Uncle get killed, you almost get jacked up at some bar by a dude with the death sentence on 12 systems.....then you barely escape your home planet, only to be captured by a floating planet called a "death star". Your brand new father figure is killed right in front of your face. Then you enlist in the rebel fleet, and before you know it, you're the leader of the last attack wave, which is ok because you did some flying back at Beggar's Canyon. You'll also hear said mentor's voice in your head. Later on, you'll kiss a woman who turns out to be your twin sister, find out that your Dad is a mass murderer, lose a hand, get mocked by some crazy old man with a hood, etc.

Last edited:
He also gets shoved into a Tauntaun carcass.

All he wanted was to go to the Toshi Station to pick up some power converters...

My nominee for Best Wooden Delivery Not from Carrie Fisher in Jedi:

Two fighters against a Star Destroyer?

Fuck, Jedi just frustrates me.

You could've had Wookies, a more competent director (Spielberg, Lynch, or Cronenberg), and I dunno, actual sacrifice at the end?

One major character should've bitten it (apart from Yoda's 20 minute death and Vader's)

I'm not in the Lucas is a poor Director camp, so it's hard for me to wish someone else directed it. The Ewoks are semi-annoying, but to be honest, they do not bother me all that much. That film is worth it just for Palpatine.

There is one thing I don't like about Empire, and that's Han's

"Then I'll see you in hell!"

line. So fucking stupid. Doesn't even make any sense. WTF Charles?

No spoken words said:
I'm not in the Lucas is a poor Director camp, so it's hard for me to wish someone else directed it. The Ewoks are semi-annoying, but to be honest, they do not bother me all that much. That film is worth it just for Palpatine.

Glad to see the Lucas defense, but Richard Marquand directed Jedi. Now you could certainly argue that Lucas was looking over his shoulder, but Jedi is the least visually interesting of the entire saga. The compositions aren't up to the epic standards of the Lucas-directed installments, and doesn't have the claustrophobic intimacy of Kershner's Empire, either.

I don't get the "have to watch Jedi after Empire" or the "Jedi is the most easily-watchable" thing. Watching Jedi after Empire is like eating a shit sundae for dessert after a great meal at a French restaurant. And as for rewatchable, I still think it's the first one...or Clones (which to me is the most flat-out entertaining of the saga, despite the clunky Naboo scenes).

Let it also be noted that I had nothing to do with hijacking this thread yet AGAIN with Star Wars material.

Empire is easily the most rewatchable for me.

And, this is a random movie talk thread, you cannot hijack it unless you start talking about something not related to cinema. Unless you're talking about Lance's Mom, which is perfectly alright.

No spoken words said:
Empire is easily the most rewatchable for me.

And, this is a random movie talk thread, you cannot hijack it unless you start talking about something not related to cinema. Unless you're talking about Lance's Mom, which is perfectly alright.

Well, she does relate to cinema, but I think she was appearing under an alias back then.

lazarus said:

Glad to see the Lucas defense, but Richard Marquand directed Jedi. Now you could certainly argue that Lucas was looking over his shoulder, but Jedi is the least visually interesting of the entire saga. The compositions aren't up to the epic standards of the Lucas-directed installments, and doesn't have the claustrophobic intimacy of Kershner's Empire, either.

I don't get the "have to watch Jedi after Empire" or the "Jedi is the most easily-watchable" thing. Watching Jedi after Empire is like eating a shit sundae for dessert after a great meal at a French restaurant. And as for rewatchable, I still think it's the first one...or Clones (which to me is the most flat-out entertaining of the saga, despite the clunky Naboo scenes).

Let it also be noted that I had nothing to do with hijacking this thread yet AGAIN with Star Wars material.

I'm gonna sit down one day and write a treatment/outline for what Jedi should've been and it will be awesome.

Did anyone happen to catch Martin Scorsese's documentary on Val Lewton last night, on Turner Classic Movies? I wish I had heard about this earlier or I would have warned everyone in advance.

Lewton was responsible for a horror division of RKO Pictures after Orson Welles had nearly financially ruined the studio with Kane and Ambersons. These films were given preposterous, pulpy titles and miniscule budgets (compared to the Universal Monsters classics), yet were revolutionary in the way they showed less and suggested more. Very atmospheric, at times almost dream-like photography. Lewton fostered the careers of directors Jacques Tourneur, Robert Wise, and Mark Robson with these films.

Anyway, I don't know if TCM is even airing the doc, or the films (they had a complete festival last night as well) again this month, but it's something to keep an eye out for, or perhaps download. The thing is called Val Lewton: The Man in the Shadows.

There was actually a boxed set released about a year and a half ago that had all the films, many with commentary, and a different documentary on Lewton. It is very much worth the purchase, or at least a rental, and all run less than 90 minutes.

Here is the complete list:

Cat People (Tourneur)
I Walked With A Zombie (Tourneur)
The Leopard Man (Tourneur)
The Seventh Victim (Robson)
Curse of the Cat People (Wise)
Ghost Ship (Robson)
Isle of the Dead (Robson)
The Body Snatcher (Wise)
Bedlam (Robson)

I'd also like to add that the last three films star, and breathed new life into the career of none other than Boris Karloff.

So, I decided to rewatch The Terminator tonight. I haven't seen it in 10-12 years, but I had a amazing realization within the first 5 minutes of watching.

Bill Paxton is the most SIGNIFICANT actor of our time. Simply put, having Paxton in your movie will not make it a blockbuster, but you cannot have a blockbuster without Paxton in your movie.

Proof:

# The Slammin' Salmon (2008) (pre-production) (rumored)

# "Big Love" .... Bill Henrickson / ... (15 episodes, 2006-2007)
- Good Guys and Bad Guys (2007) TV episode .... Bill Henrickson
- The Writing on the Wall (2007) TV episode .... Bill Henrickson
- Damage Control (2007) TV episode .... Bill Henrickson
- The Ceremony (2006) TV episode .... Bill Henrickson
- Where There's a Will (2006) TV episode .... Bill Henrickson
(10 more)
# "Big Love: In the Beginning" .... Bill Henrickson (2 episodes, 2007)
- Meet the Babysitter (2007) TV episode .... Bill Henrickson
- Moving Day (2007) TV episode .... Bill Henrickson
# The Good Life (2007) .... Robbie
# Magnificent Desolation: Walking on the Moon 3D (2005) (voice) .... Ed Mitchell
# Haven (2004) .... Carl Ridley
# Thunderbirds (2004) .... Jeff Tracy
... aka Thunderbirds - Les sentinelles de l'air (France)
# Club Dread (2004) .... Coconut Pete
... aka Broken Lizard's Club Dread (USA: complete title)
# Pat Benatar: Choice Cuts - The Complete Video Collection (2003) (V) (uncredited) .... Radio operator (segments "Shadows of the Night")
# Spy Kids 3-D: Game Over (2003) .... Dinky Winks
... aka Spy Kids 3: Game Over (USA: video title)
# Resistance (2003) .... Maj. Theodore 'Ted' Brice
# "Frasier" .... Ernie (1 episode, 2003)
- Analyzed Kiss (2003) TV episode (voice) .... Ernie
# Spy Kids 2: Island of Lost Dreams (2002) .... Dinky Winks
... aka Spy Kids 2: The Island of Lost Dreams (USA: video box title)
# Frailty (2001) .... Dad Meiks
... aka Dämonisch (Germany)
... aka Frailty - Nessuno è al sicuro (Italy)
# Vertical Limit (2000) .... Elliot Vaughn
... aka Vertical Limit (Germany)
# U-571 (2000) .... Lt. Cmdr. Mike Dahlgren
... aka U-571 (France)

# "Saturday Night Live" .... Host / ... (2 episodes, 1980-1999)
... aka NBC's Saturday Night (USA: first season title)
... aka SNL (USA: informal title)
... aka SNL 25 (USA: alternative title)
... aka Saturday Night (USA: second season title)
... aka Saturday Night Live '80 (USA: sixth season title)
- Bill Paxton/Beck (1999) TV episode .... Host
- Ellen Burstyn/Aretha Franklin/Keith Sykes (1980) TV episode (uncredited) .... Man in 'Fish Heads' video
# Mighty Joe Young (1998) .... Professor Gregory "Gregg" O'Hara
... aka Mighty Joe (UK)
# A Simple Plan (1998) .... Hank Mitchell
... aka Einfacher Plan, Ein (Germany)
... aka Un plan simple (France)
# A Bright Shining Lie (1998) (TV) .... Col. John Paul Vann
# Titanic (1997) .... Brock Lovett
# Traveller (1997) .... Bokky
# The Evening Star (1996) .... Jerry Bruckner
# Twister (1996) .... Bill Harding
# The Last Supper (1995) .... Zachary Cody
# Apollo 13 (1995) .... Fred Haise
... aka Apollo 13: The IMAX Experience (USA: IMAX version)
# True Lies (1994) .... Simon
# Frank & Jesse (1994) .... Frank James
# Tombstone (1993) .... Morgan Earp

# Monolith (1993) .... Tucker
... aka Monolith (Germany)
# "Tales from the Crypt" .... Billy DeLuca (1 episode, 1993)
... aka HBO's Tales from the Crypt
- People Who Live in Brass Hearses (1993) TV episode .... Billy DeLuca
# Boxing Helena (1993) .... Ray O'Malley
# Indian Summer (1993) .... Jack Belston
... aka Été indien, L' (Canada: French title)
# Future Shock (1993) .... Vince
# Trespass (1992) .... Vince Gillian
... aka Looters
# The Vagrant (1992) .... Graham Krakowski
# One False Move (1992) .... Chief Dale 'Hurricane' Dixon
# The Dark Backward (1991) .... Gus
... aka The Man with Three Arms (UK)
# Predator 2 (1990) .... Jerry Lambert
# Navy Seals (1990) .... Dane

# The Last of the Finest (1990) .... Howard 'Hojo' Jones
... aka Blue Heat (UK)
... aka Street Legal
# Brain Dead (1990) .... Jim Reston
... aka Paranoia (USA)
# Back to Back (1990) .... Bo Brand

# Next of Kin (1989) .... Gerald Gates
# Slipstream (1989) .... Matt Owens (at Cafe)
... aka Slipstream: Bounty Hunter 2000 (Philippines: English title)
# New Order: Substance (1989) (V) (uncredited) .... (video "Touched by the Hand of God")
# Pass the Ammo (1988) .... Jesse Wilkes
# Near Dark (1987) .... Severen
# "The Hitchhiker" .... Trout (1 episode, 1987)
... aka Deadly Nightmares (UK)
... aka Voyageur, Le (France)
- Made for Each Other (1987) TV episode .... Trout
# "Miami Vice" .... Vic Romano (1 episode, 1986)
- Streetwise (1986) TV episode .... Vic Romano
# "Fresno" (1986) (mini) TV mini-series .... Billy Joe Bobb
# Aliens (1986) .... Pvt. Hudson
# Pat Benatar: The Visual Music Collection (1986) (V) .... Radio operator ("Shadows of the Night")
# Riding Fast (1986) .... Bobo
# An Early Frost (1985) (TV) .... Bob Maracek
# Commando (1985) .... Intercept Officer
# Weird Science (1985) .... Chet Donnelly

# "The Atlanta Child Murders" (1985) (mini) TV mini-series .... Campbell
# The Terminator (1984) .... Punk Leader
# Impulse (1984) .... Eddie
# Streets of Fire (1984) .... Clyde the Bartender
# Pat Benatar: Hit Videos (1984) (V) .... Radio operator ("Shadows of the Night")
# Mortuary (1983/I) .... Paul Andrews
... aka Embalmed (UK)
# Deadly Lessons (1983) (TV) .... Eddie Fox
# Night Warning (1983) (as William Paxton) .... Eddie
... aka Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker
... aka Momma's Boy
... aka Nightmare Maker
... aka The Evil Protege (UK)
... aka Thrilled to Death (USA)
# The Lords of Discipline (1983) (as 'Wild' Bill Paxton) .... Gilbreath
# Taking Tiger Mountain (1983)
# Stripes (1981) .... Soldier
# "The Six O'Clock Follies" (1980) TV series
# Fish Heads (1980) .... Main Character

# Crazy Mama (1975) .... John

So, in closing I would like to say, "Game over, man, game over!"

Can you imagine if Bill Paxton, Clint Howard, and Danny Trejo were all in the same movie?

It would probably disrupt the space/time continuum.

I wonder if everyone of Danny Trejo characters is called "Dangerous Mexican" on IMDB. Talk about being typecast.

Dalton said:
Can you imagine if Bill Paxton, Clint Howard, and Danny Trejo were all in the same movie?

It would probably disrupt the space/time continuum.

Game over, man. Game over.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'll never understand the love for Terminator 2, which is a bit of a bitch-out, if you ask me.

"You're Terminated, fucker!" > sensitive Arnie

They should have retitled that film 'The Kneecapper' for all the Happy Meal-friendly violence Arnie dished out.

Good news, gang. Last night I bought my ticket to see TWBB at the Alamo Ritz tomorrow at 3:30 CST.

Back
Top Bottom