Interference Random Movie Talk Episode VIII: First Contact with Lance's Mom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While I liked both a lot, yeah, I certainly enjoyed IB more.

I'm trying to recall the last time I saw an actor give a great performance while speaking four different languages and I'm coming up blank. :)

To say the least.

Before Basterds, saw the Avatar teaser, which looked good on the big screen, to my eyes at least. Also, there was a very early teaser for Inception, with maybe 15 seconds of footage.

I had to sit through like 8 fucking trailers to see IB, and none of them were Avatar, unfortuantely, as I really wanted my friend to see it. Oh well. I'm seeing IB again some time with some of my college buddies now that I'm back in DC. Hopefully I'll catch it this time.

Inception looked pretty nuts. Definitely his most interesting project since Memento in my opinions. Maybe in his whole career. And we don't even have any idea what it's about.

I saw at least 6 trailers before both films, including Surrogates twice. IB had the better set of trailers.

I'm already looking forward to a 2nd viewing of IB. I cannot talk enough about how much I enjoy QT's work, except for maybe Death Proof.

Inception...I'm telling you....great cast, great director, a genre I love....it cannot fail for me.

Seeing 2 movies back to back is a joy, but, I usually wind up with a headache. That's some random movie talk right there.

If I'm up to it i'll probably treat myself to some double-feature permutation of Ponyo, Thirst, or 500 Days of Summer tomorrow.

What I will say now about IB is that it definitely reminded me that I do love QT's work, something I think I often brush off because he's such a ubiquitous figure of my generation's cinema in a way... I find myself rejecting him for that reason a lot of the time. And while I still don't think he's any sort of be-all-end-all modern filmmaker as so many raving lunatic fanboys still make him out to be (typically decked out with Reservoir Dogs posters on their dorm room walls, find), I really do still love Kill Bill and Pulp fiction, and Jackie Brown to a slightly lesser extent these days, and I think he's doing some of his absolute best work in IB. Certainly his most rich and (dare I say) mature at the very least.

Definitely his most mature work yet, though, everything is relative.

I just know that I enjoy the fuck out of his work.

Tomorrow could = 500 Days of Summer for me. Or The Hurt Locker. Maybe both. I am also supposed to see Pearl Jam tomorrow night, though, the dude with the tickets has not responded to my texts.

Man, I have a lot of movies to catch up on.

When I heard about Surrogates, I tracked down the graphic novel miniseries online and read it. Pretty cool stuff.

Tetro is finally playing at a place near me, so I may see that soon. Not before Inglorious Basterds though. I tried to lower my expectations after the reception at Cannes, but now with like 3-4 people telling me it's his best since Pulp I'm getting a little more riled up again.

I'd be satisfied if it's as solid as Jackie Brown or Kill Bill Vol. 2.

Tetro is finally playing at a place near me, so I may see that soon. Not before Inglorious Basterds though. I tried to lower my expectations after the reception at Cannes, but now with like 3-4 people telling me it's his best since Pulp I'm getting a little more riled up again.

I'm waiting for a second viewing before saying anything definitive, but right now I'm feeling it's probably his best period.

I wouldn't hesitate on Tetro. You never know how long it will be around.

And I'd be very surprised if IB surpassed either of those two Tarantino films. I like everything he's done, so it doesn't matter too much to me.

I'm waiting for a second viewing before saying anything definitive, but right now I'm feeling it's probably his best period.

INSERT: vomiting eye-roll .gif

Because you're the only person I've come across, in person or in print, who's made such a hyperbolic proclamation?

It's not hyperbolic. I believe it to be true (again, bearing another viewing to confirm or deny some of my own thoughts about it). Funny, as I've also spoken to a number of people in person and online who have at least said it's one of if not their favorite QT films. So I'd suggest seeing it for yourself before giving me your same old shit.

I know I haven't seen it myself, but I have yet to see any notable critics saying the same thing as you are.

That doesn't mean it's not possible it's his best, just improbable.

I know I haven't seen it myself, but I have yet to see any notable critics saying the same thing as you are.

That doesn't mean it's not possible it's his best, just improbable.

Maybe. But I've seen a lot of very surprised and satisfied reactions much like my own the last couple days. Also, I'd recommend checking out the Reverseshot review of the film after you've seen it yourself (they're deliberately care-free when it comes to spoilers). I think they hit this one pretty much on the nose.

And maybe I'm just buying into this particular film much more than others because it feeds so directly into my own personal tastes; a Spaghetti Western WW2 Exploitation film, shot very much in a stagey European theatrical mode, with a 'theme and variations' structure and richly layered themes regarding the roles of cinema and authorship within the larger picture. But I do genuinely think it shows some of QT's most assured filmmaking, from the construction of its mise-en-scene to what are maybe his finest-written screenplay and most compelling cast performances to date. I'd be completely shocked if you don't truly love it yourself.

Why my jackhammer? what have you heard????

Maybe. But I've seen a lot of very surprised and satisfied reactions much like my own the last couple days. Also, I'd recommend checking out the Reverseshot review of the film after you've seen it yourself (they're deliberately care-free when it comes to spoilers). I think they hit this one pretty much on the nose.

And maybe I'm just buying into this particular film much more than others because it feeds so directly into my own personal tastes; a Spaghetti Western WW2 Exploitation film, shot very much in a stagey European theatrical mode, with a 'theme and variations' structure and richly layered themes regarding the roles of cinema and authorship within the larger picture. But I do genuinely think it shows some of QT's most assured filmmaking, from the construction of its mise-en-scene to what are maybe his finest-written screenplay and most compelling cast performances to date. I'd be completely shocked if you don't truly love it yourself.

I just read the Reverseshot review. Good stuff.

Oh, it's gonna be right up my alley. And I'd be very surprised if there isn't a heavy dose of Samuel Fuller influence as well, since he made some seminal WW2 films and is a favorite of Tarantino.

I sometimes think that at times he verges on self-parody. And though I loved Death Proof, there were a lot of lines that were cringe-worthy there. Hopefully this will be a step up in that regard.

I'm right there with you with Death Proof. Hugely enjoyable film when I watched it, but I admire it far more in concept and ambition than in its execution.

This is worth posting. I snuch a photo of this guy in Target yesterday. Sorry it's so far, but you can still see it.

15pib2h.jpg

Back
Top Bottom