Interference Random Movie Talk Episode VII: You Inglourious Little Basterds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll say it right now: Cameron will never top The Abyss.

You're probably right. That's his best overall film, but Aliens and T2 are solid, engaging, sci-fi action romps that I'll probably watch forever. Game over, man, game over.

I was going to say something about wanting to wax her crescent, if you get my meaning, but something tells me I already made that joke.

I'm guessing that you did.

You're probably right. That's his best overall film, but Aliens and T2 are solid, engaging, sci-fi action romps that I'll probably watch forever. Game over, man, game over.

I'd suggest the latter films are superior to The Abyss for that very reason. Cameron is at his best when he puts the most energy into crafting his film worlds and choreographing his spectacle and action. I think Manohla Dargis said something about the value in films stimulating the human body in addition to or maybe even instead of the common virtues in stimulating the brain. I think that's what Cameron does best in films like Aliens and T2.

Sorry, but I find The Abyss, while not as action-packed as those other two, to have better-drawn (and acted) characters, and a great script, so the human drama isn't engulfed by the effects, or done in some kind of pandering fashion like in T2. Also, there's a sense of wonder that at times tops Close Encounters, and I just don't get that from the ones you mentioned beyond "Wow, cool effects!"

Watchmen Director's Cut: Four cities, one weekend. L.A. and NY, obviously, but Dallas and Minneapolis? Hmm.

Random. I feel bad that we (meaning my hometown, which I need to go visit) get it and I don't even appreciate that. Sorry, gang.

Sorry, but I find The Abyss, while not as action-packed as those other two, to have better-drawn (and acted) characters, and a great script, so the human drama isn't engulfed by the effects, or done in some kind of pandering fashion like in T2. Also, there's a sense of wonder that at times tops Close Encounters, and I just don't get that from the ones you mentioned beyond "Wow, cool effects!"

No, that's fair enough. I understand that perspective as well. It's just that I admire different things in his filmmaking I suppose. Probably also accounts for a few of our other differences of opinion regarding other filmmakers as well.

I'd argue that Ripley's character arc and relationship with Newt is as well-done, if not more, than the main ones in The Abyss, but like you said, doesn't have that sense of Close Encounters-like wonder.

It's hard to compare The Abyss to the other two films outside of that aspect, but I've got no problem comparing Aliens with T2.

Dylan and Macca working together must be like Spielberg and Scorsese pairing up for you.

Speaking of Spielberg, he gets a major fuck you from me for having his name attached to Transformers. God, you're TEARING ME APART, Stevie.

For all accounts, even if Avatar fails in every other way, it seems it's going to capture that "sense of wonder" better than any of his films have since. By all accounts he's created an entire living new world for this movie, even if that's it's only real achievement.

Dylan and Macca working together must be like Spielberg and Scorsese pairing up for you.

Speaking of Spielberg, he gets a major fuck you from me for having his name attached to Transformers. God, you're TEARING ME APART, Stevie.

Zing.

Two films that are amped up but inferior versions of their predecessors?

Pretty easy comparison.

Zing.

For all accounts, even if Avatar fails in every other way, it seems it's going to capture that "sense of wonder" better than any of his films have since. By all accounts he's created an entire living new world for this movie, even if that's it's only real achievement.

I'll give you that. I'm definitely looking forward to it, certainly moreso than whatever lifeless bullshit Zemeckis has coming down the pike.

I'll give you that. I'm definitely looking forward to it, certainly moreso than whatever lifeless bullshit Zemeckis has coming down the pike.

A Christmas Carol with Jim Carrey? But he's so TALENTED.

This kid who kind of turned into my Drama/Thespian rival tries to emulate Carrey so much that now I kind of hate Carrey as a result.

Maybe not as awesome as Spielberg and PETER MOTHERFUCKING JACKSON pairing up.

I don't think I've not looked forward to an otherwise unanimously anticipated film as much as Tintin.

I don't think I've not looked forward to an otherwise unanimously anticipated film as much as Tintin.

The Frost/Pegg/Wright combo is really the only thing that excites me about it. And Daniel Craig, too.

Watch them get Zemeckis to do the third movie, if that ever gets released.

I read all the Tintin stories when I was a kid, so part of me is glad it's getting this big-time treatment, and of course part of me is very afraid.

A Christmas Carol with Jim Carrey? But he's so TALENTED.

This kid who kind of turned into my Drama/Thespian rival tries to emulate Carrey so much that now I kind of hate Carrey as a result.

Am I the only person that really liked the Lemony Snicket film? Great design in that thing, like Tim Burton if he wasn't such a goth loser.

Am I the only person that really liked the Lemony Snicket film? Great design in that thing, like Tim Burton if he wasn't such a goth loser.

It got a bad rap because the kids actually were put in danger, and that can't happen because kids are so special now. I kind of liked it, but you're dead-on about the design. Reminded me more of Henry Selick than Burton though.

Yeah. I just mentioned Burton because it was a very design-driven film. Brad Silberling gets a bit of a bad rap. I liked Moonlight Mile a lot as well.

I think I would have made a good actor. I also think I would have made a good pontiff. So I've been wrong before.

Yeah. I just mentioned Burton because it was a very design-driven film. Brad Silberling gets a bit of a bad rap. I liked Moonlight Mile a lot as well.

I'm kind of interested in seeing Land of the Lost since it's been described as a $100 million stoner movie. Plus, I'm a sucker for Will Ferrell and Danny McBride.

I think I would have made a good actor. I also think I would have made a good pontiff. So I've been wrong before.

You weren't Mark?

I still like Jim Carey I guess. I still really enjoy his early comedic stuff like Ace Ventura and Dumb and Dumber. And I've enjoyed him in Man on the Moon and the Truman Show. Aside from that though I don't have much praise or animosity towards the guy either way.

Not in theaters.

I still like Jim Carey I guess. I still really enjoy his early comedic stuff like Ace Ventura and Dumb and Dumber. And I've enjoyed him in Man on the Moon and the Truman Show. Aside from that though I don't have much praise or animosity towards the guy either way.

The fact that he came out with Ace Ventura, Dumb and Dumber, and The Mask in the same year is pretty damn impressive. I dug him in The Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine, and that's about it. I intend to watch Man on the Moon at some point though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom