Interference Random Movie Talk Episode VII: You Inglourious Little Basterds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in a predicament. My friends all want to see Transformers 2, and I've got a free ticket and like 7 free large pizza cards at the awesome pizza joint next door to the theater. You can kind of see where this is going...

If I had to pay, it wouldn't even be a contest, but since it's a free, then it gets trickier.

went to the movies tonight

saw a preview for. The Hurt Locker

looks promising. they say it is near perfect.

Could it be almost as good as The Wrasler?

You're turning into a sorely in-humorous broken record with that particular one deep. Best to let it go.

went to the movies tonight

saw a preview for. The Hurt Locker

looks promising. they say it is near perfect.

Could it be almost as good as The Wrasler?

I'll know only when I hear your response.

2149838_std.jpg
:shifty:

10 BP nominees could mean that some of the truly adventurous and well-crafted movies make it in amongst the awards bait, but it kind of spits in the face of all the things that were left behind. United 93, The Wrestler, Diving Bell and the Butterfly.

But after 3 years of campaigning and being shut down, Disney should finally be able to get Pixar in with Up. Of course claiming that you're only the second animated film to be nommed looses its luster in this case.

I'm pumped that The Hurt Locker is finally coming out, been looking forward to that forever. Its nice to have the perfect balance to idiotic summer fare with tautly made topical films. Personally I don't care that Transformers is out, its dumb fun for mass audiences and that kind of thing will always be there, the only annoying thing is that you'd have thought that artsy independent directors like Alfonso Cuaron, Paul Greengrass and Christopher Nolan bringing some intelligence and craftsmanship to blockbuster franchises this decade, that people like Michael Bay would have been obsolete as 'directors' instead of stunt-coordinators. Maybe if Aronofsky actually made Robocob that'd be the final nail.

Well to me it's going to make it harder for something with a groundswell of support to overcome a frontrunner, making for less surprises.

The ONE good thing about it is it will make the Director slot more exciting, as those tend to match up pretty closely with Picture. It will really force them to focus on what that category really means.

Well, already it doesn't take a very high percentage of the vote to win a given category, now that will be even lower. So there could be surprises for once.

Sweet. Now the Oscar telecast will be even longer. Billy Crystal's gonna have to come up with 10 funny little song and dance routines instead of 5.

Also, just so everyone is aware, Armond White gave a positive review to Transformers.

I love how it's a given that this is going to be great. Are we forgetting that this guy's last film was an overblown cardboard effects bonanza with a script that George Lucas could have written?

No one's promising an amazing movie here. Not even Cameron, who's even been explicit in trying to keep people's expectations tempered. But it's hard for fans of his work not to be confident in his return to the sci-fi genre, after building his reputation on a series of landmark sci-fi actioners.

edit: Crarky comment replaced

the wrestler was on more top 10 lists than slumdog or milk.

fade to black.

Please shut up.

I love how it's a given that this is going to be great. Are we forgetting that this guy's last film was an overblown cardboard effects bonanza with a script that George Lucas could have written?

I was being fairly tongue-in-cheek, but I do think it's going to be a hell of a lot better than that crapfest.

They probably opened it up to 10 to save a spot for New Moon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom