Interference Random Movie Talk Episode VII: You Inglourious Little Basterds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if this thing is successful, fast-track Halo movie again? Maybe. Maybe still a bad idea... but one I'm still interested to see happen.

I wonder if this thing is successful, fast-track Halo movie again? Maybe. Maybe still a bad idea... but one I'm still interested to see happen.

That's what I've been thinking. It's certainly possible.

If nothing else it would be the first "video game movie" to have some real filmmaking talent/money behind it. And since MS has got another Halo game coming out in a couple years I'm sure they aren't oblivious to the cross marketing potential.

I am not a gamer,

so I don't see district 9 in that context.

I do like a good Sci-fi movie.

I liked Sin City without any awareness of the comic/ graphic novel.

I also believe many, especially young people liked the Star Trek with no knowledge of the origional series.

The only movie I can think of that a familiarity with the source material made for a better movie watching experience is Watchmen.

I'm not saying I necessarily see D9 in that context exclusively. It certainly looks fascinating in its own right, and I'm a fan of Blomkamp's short films too. I'm looking forward to seeing him bloom as a filmmaker. This could be the first real artistically successful sci-fi film of the year. Well, I did think Moon was mostly successful, but it did leave me with a few complaints of "I can't believe they actually wrote that. Talk about not making any sense."

However, before this, the Jackson/Blomkamp duo were in pre on Halo, so it's still an interesting possibility for its fans, and for better or worse the success of this film is likely inextricably linked to the production of that film.

However, before this, the Jackson/Blomkamp duo were in pre on Halo, so it's still an interesting possibility for its fans, and for better or worse the success of this film is likely inextricably linked to the production of that film.

adds this to stuff I did not know,
I hope this film is good and leads to more good stuff.

I liked Moon, quite a bit

for a first time director, I consider it a success,
there were some pretty big holes for me, too.

Yes, Moon was most definitely a success. But once all the chips were down and the film came to its close, you can't help but feel things could have gone differently and made a bit more sense in the process. I look forward to Jones' next film.

This could be the first real artistically successful sci-fi film of the year.

I'd consider Star Trek to be one, but I know you didn't like it.

Moon should come out around me in the next month or so, so that's good.

Star Trek I think succeeds as a sort of feature film series pilot, rebooting a new Trek series which is sure to be very successful. I think the film itself took way too many conveniences and lazy writing tricks to make it all happen, but I can't really fault it for it. Like I said, if this were a television pilot it would be perfect (well, if that were the case it wouldn't have had to pack so much exposition in, and would like have been even stronger), but I can't say it really succeeds artistically as a feature film. However, I did enjoy watching it, and JJ's becoming quite a competent film director finally. The movie left me wanting to see the next JJ Trek film more than it left me thinking about this one... or really ever wanting to watch it a second time.

I wrote it off the first time

and then on a second viewing, I found my complaints were amplified in my mind based on my expectations, if that makes any sense

well, upon a second viewing I think I raised my score a full point.

You're talking Trek?

As with Watchmen, a second viewing might change me opinion as well. It's just I really don't have the interest any time soon. I might check it out again when it hits DVD. I know at least one friend of mine loved the hell out of it and will be buying it day 1.

Two of my major problems with the film were Nero apparently waiting 20+ years for Spock Prime to show up, which is an entire subplot that was cut to about 2 lines of dialogue involving the Klingon fleet being destroyed. Originally, he and his crew were captured by the Klingons after the first space battle left their ship crippled and they spent the time between then and the time of the film in a Klingon prison colony.

And about the conveniences, they bothered me as well, but apparently they're supposed to a result of "a universe trying to correct itself," thrusting these characters together even after the disruption caused by Spock Prime/Nero's arrival into the timeline.

I'd rather there be a film series than a new TV series, as long as they don't go back to crutches like Khan and etc...

I don't want a TV series either. I was just speaking to the form of this first film.

The whole thing was really just one long exposition-fest. Which is OK, because they had 40 years of mythology to straighten out. And while I enjoyed watching them do it for the most part, I can't in good conscience say it made for a particularly good movie. Though I'll certainly take Trek over Terminator, Transformers, Angels and Demons... pretty much anything I saw last summer.

I am. Some time today, as stated. Meaning, some time before 8am. But probably sooner. Yeah.

I don't want a TV series either. I was just speaking to the form of this first film.

The whole thing was really just one long exposition-fest. Which is OK, because they had 40 years of mythology to straighten out. And while I enjoyed watching them do it for the most part, I can't in good conscience say it made for a particularly good movie. Though I'll certainly take Trek over Terminator, Transformers, Angels and Demons... pretty much anything I saw last summer.

That's fair. I thought the exposition was mixed well into the general action of the film up until Spock Prime explains everything to Kirk in the ice cave.

Up and Star Trek are the two big summer movies that delivered for me.

I will concede that Trek provides the best pure spectacle in the theaters this summer. The money was most definitely up on the screen, and JJ shoots action well.

celebcityorgemmawatsonox.jpg

celebcityorgemmawatsono.jpg

I see what you mean.

She's on Letterman tonight, by the way. I've got my sixer and my pack of smokes ready. Still need to go out and get the popcorn.

She's on Letterman tonight, by the way. I've got my sixer and my pack of smokes ready. Still need to go out and get the popcorn.

Cutting a hole in the bottom of the popcorn bag only works when you've got someone there to watch it with you.

I was thinking about putting together all of Niell Blomkamp's shorts here for people myself. But luckily filmjunk did all the work for me.

The Short Works Of… Neill Blomkamp - Film Junk

It's worth checking out some of this stuff again too even if you have seen some of it. Unfortunately the "Crossing the Line" clip got taken down already. I still haven't seen that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom