Interference Random Movie Talk Episode VI: Return of Lance's Mom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Official site now open for Francis Coppola's upcoming film Tetro:

Francis Ford Coppola | Tetro | Official Movie Site | Tetro Movie

There's a nice little video introduction from the man himself.

Can't wait, even if I think Vincent Gallo is an overrated douchebag.

I have no idea who Vincent Gallo is outside of his name alone, but I don't care. Words cannot describe how fucking excited this website makes me. Fuck! Knife Crime.

In other news, The Passenger still owns my life. Hasn't left my mind a moment the last 24 hours.

The Eclipse is coming from netflix this week, and I'll watch Il Notte on their watch instantly selection as well.

Does Lance's mom happen to know if Slumdog is out on DVD? I suppose since it won all kinds of awards I should watch it.

I think Lance's Mom only know about the release date for Hairy Honies 8: Furburgers.

There still isn't a release date for the DVD release of the film you're looking for.

Mike Fint said:
"We're just starting work on a project for Terrence Malick, animating dinosaurs (the film is Tree of Life, starring Brad Pitt and Sean Penn.) It'll be showing in IMAX - so the dinosaurs will actually be life size - and the shots of the creatures will be long and lingering."

Could this movie get any more bizarre/mouth-watering?

The only thing worth remembering from that movie is the atrocious opening montage of them shooting guns and lifting weights together. Absolutely cracked me up.

I'm surprised, I thought that Jonas Brothers movie would be huge

msnbc.com

Is the Jonas star falling?
Is it a sign the apocalypse is upon us?

Disney’s "Jonas Brothers: The 3D Concert Experience" didn’t top the box office this weekend. Instead, “Tyler Perry’s Madea Goes to Jail” nabbed the No. 1 spot in an upset.

“Madea” made another $16.5 million; the Jonas Brothers only took in $12.7 million.

Just for frame of reference, consider that “Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert Tour,” made $31.1 million its opening weekend.

Is this Jonas fatigue, or perhaps, proof that there’s just not much added value in 3D? I tend to think the latter.

In other film news “Slumdog Millionaire” scored the best Oscar bounce seen in more than a decade. It made $12.2 million, which is a 44% increase over its performance last weekend.

Malick, Olstein & Me :: Hollywood Elsewhere

Jeff Wells said:
I've just clarified the source of a 1995 Los Angeles magazine article about Terrence Malick that "TheJeff" excerpted last night, called "Waiting for Godot." And I may as well make this a front-pager. The '95 article was essentially based on a 1991 Malick piece I had worked on for months but failed to sell, called "Malick Aforethought." A spruced-up, cut-down version was published by a Los Angeles editor, Andy Olstein, which I was pleased with and conflicted about at the time. The backstory still bugs me a little bit.

Terrence Malick (l.), myself sometime around in the mid '90s (r.). If there's a photo of Andy Olstein on the web, I couldn't find it. Too bad the Los Angeles staff didn't run a hand-drawn visualization of Olstein's "Joe Gillis" figure back in the day.
I worked for Olstein at Los Angeles in '95 and, I think, into '96. Andy felt, as did many others, that my original Malick piece was a little too turgid and term-papery. (He was right.) So he enlivened it by pruning it down and inserting a narration penned by Andy's Joe Gillis persona (Billy Wilder's Sunset Boulevard creation reborn as Andy's hard-boiled alter ego, sipping mai tai's at the Formosa Cafe). I think I was given a "researched by" or "reporting by" credit at the very end of the piece. I needed the money and the activity so I accepted the diminished status.

During the preparation of this piece I had managed, incidentally, the almost unheard-of feat of getting Malick to come to the phone. (He was staying at Mike Medavoy's, and I had just rung Mike's house one afternoon, hoping I might get lucky.) Our conversation barely happened because of Malick's historic aversion to sharing with journalists (then, before, now, forever), but I taped and transcribed what we said to each other. Olstein, committed to the Gillis authorship and keeping me out of the picture except as an assistant/researcher, used the transcript, of course, but as a conversation between Malick and Joe Gillis (!) And so people naturally presumed it hadn't happened and was made up. Brilliant, Andy! My eternal thanks

Here's the portion of the article as it relates to Malick's Q, which has manifested in some form in Malick's forthcoming The Tree of Life. Full disclosure: I rewrote (i.e., pilfered) a paragraph or two from a piece called "Absence of Malick" that had run in New West or California magazine. I forget the author's name, but it was a first-rate job.

"In the summer of 1978, Malick had begun work on Q -- easily his most ambitious project. The original concept was a multicharacter drama set in the Middle East during World War I, with a prologue set in prehistoric times. But after dispatching an assistant for 10 weeks to scout locations, Malick chucked the Middle East section. By the end of the year, the prehistoric prologue had become the whole script.

"'Imagine this surrealistic reptilian world,' says Richard Taylor, a special-effects consultant Malick hired. 'There is this creature, a Minotaur, sleeping in the water, and he dreams about the evolution of the universe, seeing the earth change from a sea of magma to the earliest vegetation, to the dinosaurs, and then to man. It would be this metaphorical story that moves you through time.'

"Malick covered a lot of ground and spent a bundle of money preparing to film Q. By midsummer 1979, Paramount had become very frustrated trying to reconcile the mounting bills with the director's ever-evolving concept.

"'It got to the point that whatever people wanted, he wouldn't give it to them,' Taylor remembers. 'Because he was expected to make a movie, he'd say, 'I don't want to.' One day he went to France, and that was it." What was thought to be a brief vacation turned into a permanent one. Says screenwriter Bill Witliff: 'I think the more applause he got, the more frightened he got.'

"Much of Malick's life since has been spent avoiding that fright. He lives now with his second wife (a former Parisian guidance counselor whom he married in 1988) and her daughter. He writes and travels, spending half his time in Paris and the other half at his apartment in Austin, with stopovers in Oklahoma to visit his brother and father. Or he pops up on either coast.

"In the last few years, Malick was said to be in New York working as an adviser on an experimental film; visiting Sam Shepard (the farmer in Days of Heaven) in Virginia armed with a 250-page version of Q that Shepard thought 'absolutely brilliant but virtually unfilmable,' according to mutual friend, writer-director Chris Cleveland; and attending a Pasadena Playhouse production, where screenwriter Tom Rickman asked him what he'd been doing lately. 'Nothing' was the reply."

AICN Exclusive: You Now Have 2001 More Reasons To Be Excited For Malick's THE TREE OF LIFE! -- Ain't It Cool News: The best in movie, TV, DVD, and comic book news.

Beaks said:
Ever since running that TREE OF LIFE story last night (most of which was essentially purloined from Jeffrey Wells's Hollywood Elsewhere), I've been receiving emails from people who've "heard things" about what Terrence Malick is up to in Austin, Texas. I'm still trying to clarify/verify some of these tips, but the scoop that hit my inbox a few minutes ago is so big, it deserves its own story.

Visual f/x legend Douglas Trumbull is working on THE TREE OF LIFE.

In what capacity? Is he assisting Mike Fink on the dinosaur footage? I don't know just yet. But he has been seen knocking around Austin with Malick's crew, and I can confirm that he has been shooting footage of some sort fairly recently. Personally, I hope he's involved with the NASA-shot sequences that will allegedly be included in the IMAX movie.

And when I say "IMAX movie", I mean a whole second movie. That's right, we'll be getting two new Malick movies in the next year or so: the first is THE TREE OF LIFE (which one source tells me is "massive"); the other will be an "IMAX-only" feature depicting the birth and death of the universe. It's important to note that these films are not narratively connected; to the best of my knowledge, they're thematically complementary pieces. Hopefully, I'll be able to elaborate on this by the end of the week (though I'd kinda like to stay a little vague on the details if only to preserve the air of mystery that's surrounding this production).

But Douglas Trumbull, the visual f/x pioneer who collaborated with Stanley Kubrick on 2001 and Steven Spielberg on CLOSE ENCOUNTERS, will be receiving his first feature credit since Ridley Scott's BLADE RUNNER. On a Terrence Malick film. It don't get any cooler than that.

Thanks to "Heywood Floyd" and "John Galt" for getting in touch.

I need some recommendations on a really good family movie, a new DVD release, to take to my nieces and nephew this weekend so I can defend my Best Aunt In The World title.

The kids are 9, almost 13, and 16. I could get two, one for the 9 yr old twins and one for the older two. The twins have Down Syndrome so while really bright and not severely Down's, they are definitely younger than their age.

Any suggestions before my lunchtime Best Buy run would be appreciated.

I need some recommendations on a really good family movie, a new DVD release, to take to my nieces and nephew this weekend so I can defend my Best Aunt In The World title.

The kids are 9, almost 13, and 16. I could get two, one for the 9 yr old twins and one for the older two. The twins have Down Syndrome so while really bright and not severely Down's, they are definitely younger than their age.

Any suggestions before my lunchtime Best Buy run would be appreciated.

There's always Wall-E.

8d53aa74-cc3a-49ce-9f6d-0d6257a53ddd_Main_PUB_RGB_TSR1SHT_0225_1_502.jpg

ZOmg MANN COPIES THE DARK NITE! fWTf

Nolan copied Heat? More like copied a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy. What with generational decay and all that.

More Malick

Empire said:
In this month's Empire magazine, we interviewed effects guru Mike Fink, an Oscar winner for The Golden Compass, and he told us a little bit about the work he's doing for Terrence Malick on Tree of Life, starring Brad Pitt and Sean Penn. We didn't have room for the whole interview in the magazine, so here are a few more snippets.

"We’re just starting work on a project for Terrence Malick, which is actually 3 films. There’s going to be a 35mm release, a shorter IMAX version, and then they’re talking about another shorter 35mm version which isn’t quite the Imax version but not the feature length one either."

"We’re animating dinosaurs, but it’s not Jurassic Park. The attempt is to treat it as if somehow a camera wound up in the middle of these periods when dinosaurs roamed the earth and creatures first started to emerge from the sea onto the land. The first mammals appearing. We’re doing a number of creatures all seriously scientifically based."

"I think when it’s finished it’ll be something that’s referred to for years."

Over at AICN, they reckon the whole thing is a reworking of Malick's Q, an abandoned project he was working on in the 1970s, but it remains to be seen how it's all going to fit together. In any case, colour us excited.

Helen O'Hara

Why am I hot hard for Public Enemies?

Probably because I could give a rat's ass about any of Johnny "Sellout Whore" Depp's projects.

And this just seems too obvious a film for Mann to make.

Please understand this is coming from someone who loved Ali and Miami Vice.

Speaking of Mann, I watched Thief for the first time the other night. Fucking hardcore.

Wow, everything about Public Enemies looks great. That's definitely near the top of my most-anticipated list for this year. Badass. Johnny Depp with a tommy gun has been a sorely underused combination in film.

Wow, everything about Public Enemies looks great. That's definitely near the top of my most-anticipated list for this year. Badass. Johnny Depp with a tommy gun has been a sorely underused combination in film.

It would've been welcome in Benny & Joon.

Back
Top Bottom