Interference Random Movie Talk Episode IX: Fievel Goes Down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this fantastic film the other day at our local revival theatre, and really wanted to share it. The director is Jean-Jacques Beineix, who along with Luc Besson and Leos Carax were barely keeping French cinema alive in the 80's. Beineix had a huge hit with his thriller Diva, but I think his next two films were even better, though critics at the time found them pretty indulgent.

Anyway, they just had a huge retrospective of his films here in town, and they're all getting spiffy new DVD releases. The one I saw, Betty Blue (1986), had an additional hour added to it a while back, and that director's cut is the one I saw. Clocking in at over three hours, this isn't an epic in any sense, but it's pretty exhaustive in the way it covers the span of a single dysfunctional relationship (even if the passage of time isn't very long). Hard really to put my finger on what was so unique about it...the photography is great, the actors all charismatic, but I guess it was just the little details and how it made something like a struggle for domesticity so interesting.

Oh yeah, the title character (played by Beatrice Dalle) is nude for a large portion of the film, and it's pretty graphic about the sex, though it's not done in a gratuitous fashion. The music by frequent Minghella collaborator Gabriel Yared is really nice too, and I downloaded the soundtrack immediately after coming home from the theatre.

Anyway, well worth putting in the queue after the DVD comes out later this month, and the other Beineix films I've seen, Diva and The Moon in the Gutter, are already out and are both fantastic. The latter is a visual orgy and very much in the vein of Coppola's One From the Heart (both films feature the insanely hot Nastassia Kinski as well).

YouTube - "Betty Blue" (Director's Cut) - Official Trailer [HQ]

I've seen most of Betty Blue. Though I think I'm due for checking out this director's cut when it hits DVD. I'm sold.

Oh yeah. I wouldn't go near the regular cut. I can't imagine this film without the seemingly throwaway stuff that fleshes it out.

(it's not an extra hour of naked Betty, just so you know)

I can't tell if it's Kelsey Grammar or my father on Conan right now. This likeness is getting out of hand.

I still cannot understand how the show Frasier lasted 11 seasons, or how that character had been around for even longer. Holy shit. Maybe someday, but not today.

Oh, I can think of a couple reasons.

Jane-Leeves-6.JPG

20080419-Jane%20Leeves.jpg

Maybe I was too young to appreciate it at the time, which is probably the case, but watching the occasional episode now, I don't find it all too funny.

Hopefully the age of the laugh track sitcom will be dead in the next couple of years. Imagine how much better Seinfeld would've been without it, or if it were shot like Curb or 30 Rock, for example.

It would be interesting, but it would be hard to imagine some sequences in Seinfeld without the laugh track. The one that leaps to mind is in the Marine Biologist, when George finally pulls out the Titleist "obstruction" and one woman on the laugh track gives a clearly audible shriek. I always kinda liked that one. I don't know.

You could be right. I try to block the laugh track out whenever I watch a show with one.

I still cannot understand how the show Frasier lasted 11 seasons, or how that character had been around for even longer. Holy shit. Maybe someday, but not today.

the first six/seven seasons of frasier were brilliant. it helps that i saw it in isolation without having seen cheers before. it then really badly lost momentum and i don't know how they somehow managed a half decent second half to the final season. it wasn't until the later seasons that i even realised there was a laugh track.

Hopefully the age of the laugh track sitcom will be dead in the next couple of years.

we can only hope. there are very few occurrences where it helps. it's lucky that most shows i like with one are good enough that i'm laughing at the same time so it doesn't hurt as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom