Interference Random Movie Talk Episode IX: Fievel Goes Down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No Country ends perfectly. Faithfully to the book, which I'd recommend reading if you haven't when you get time for leisure reading. I understand when you're having classes how difficult it is to read for pleasure, but when you get a chance, it's sublime. As is all Cormac.

Nice. Burton's best.

All of this is true, including the Burton claim.

I feel sorry for people who don't "get" the ending of No Country.

No Country ends perfectly. Faithfully to the book, which I'd recommend reading if you haven't when you get time for leisure reading. I understand when you're having classes how difficult it is to read for pleasure, but when you get a chance, it's sublime. As is all Cormac.[/quote[

Absolutely. That and The Road have been tops of my list to read along with Dune for a while now.

Nice. Burton's best. I still love every bit of it to this day.

Oh definitely. Amazing to see with a crowd, too.

I'm currently reading it.

A more difficult book to get through than The Road.

Readers that come to Cormac via The Road or No Country will find his earlier works harder to get through. The Border Trilogy, Blood Meridian, etc, are all denser, less dialogue driven, etc.....but no less rewarding, at least for me.

Oh yeah, it's great, I just can't plow through it like the other one. I realized that The Road was a complete stripping-down of his style to the bare essentials.

I've got to catch up on my Cormac one day.

Andrew Dominik is adapting Cities of the Plain. :up:

Oh yeah, it's great, I just can't plow through it like the other one. I realized that The Road was a complete stripping-down of his style to the bare essentials.

Ah, got it. It took me a very long time to read the last portion of the Border Trilogy, and I'm a pretty fast reader. I've still yet to read anyone who, for me, produces more evocative prose than he does. In my mind's eye I very much see and feel what he creates.

RejectedLieutenantSm.jpg

What're these fucking iguanas doing on my coffee table?

That looks like its going to be quite entertaining, even with 'remakes' Herzog never misses an opportunity to surprise. Sounds like he thinks it could be a minifranchise for himself as well.

Have you guys been keeping up on the Sky Movies Tarantino interviews/screening series? The videos on Taxi Driver and Sunshine were pretty insightful and entertaining.

Blu-Ray DVDs that arrived today:

The Aviator
No Country for Old Men
Gattaca
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Layer Cake
Gangs of New York

Anybody seen Mesrine: Killer Instinct / Public Enemy Number One? I saw them as a double feature Friday night and was very much impressed, especially with Vincent Cassel. I missed Public Enemies this summer and would be interested to hear thoughts from somene who's seen all three.

So, Lance. Did you get your midnight tickets for Jennifer's Body yet?

I love David Bordwell. That's a good read. He seems to judge the film's failings on a wish for more classical filmmaking practices to be employed, which I respect. But I've made my case as to why all those particular examples highlighted here as flaws are part of what endeared me to the film and what I believe Mann was trying to achieve, though I've resigned to my position in the vast minority on this one.

I think we used Bordwell's Film Art book for my American Cinema class a couple semesters back. One of the better texts I've purchased here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom