Interference Random Movie Talk & Robin: The Thrilling Fourth Installment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You've read all the Potter books, and have seen the five films, yes?

Read all the books, yes. I live with a maniacal fan who wouldn't let me rest, otherwise. The films, I just got around to seeing the first four on dvd last summer, I still haven't seen the 5th. Said maniacal fan is a book purist who goes to see the films, but thinks the books hold much greater importance, so the films aren't the be all, end all in this household.

I'm down with the McDiarmid change, to keep in line with the other films, but don't like the added lines here. Changing the deliver to sound more like the Palps we know? That's cool, but apart from that, I find it unnecessary.

I know you're a fan of Attack of the Clones, but don't recall how you feel about Phantom Menace. I saw it in theaters 3 times, the most ever for me.

Well I don't like how in the original he says "Luke Skywalker". Here it's a bit more subtle, "the offspring of Anakin Skywalker", etc. Palps wouldn't give a shit what his first name is. But what Vader says is so similar it doesn't seem tonally different to me. All that's added is him asking is "how is that possible?" and to me this rings truer. He senses something about Luke in the space battle from A New Hope, but he still gets the truth from his superior. I don't get where the DVD Active guy thinks he's keeping something Palps. Although you could argue that Vader is the only one who actually deals with Palps, and that any spy reports revealing the identity of the "young rebel who destroyed the battle station" would go through Vader first.

And I love TPM. I still shudder at the bad lines, but there's just too much cool shit peppered throughout. It's still the most epic of all of them to me, and the pod race and sabre fight have been matched but not really surpassed. That's not to say it's my favorite; I still rank it second to last.

Read all the books, yes. I live with a maniacal fan who wouldn't let me rest, otherwise. The films, I just got around to seeing the first four on dvd last summer, I still haven't seen the 5th. Said maniacal fan is a book purist who goes to see the films, but thinks the books hold much greater importance, so the films aren't the be all, end all in this household.

Same goes for anyone that's literate. LOTR films are fun for me, but the books are priceless.

Well I don't like how in the original he says "Luke Skywalker". Here it's a bit more subtle, "the offspring of Anakin Skywalker", etc. Palps wouldn't give a shit what his first name is. But what Vader says is so similar it doesn't seem tonally different to me. All that's added is him asking is "how is that possible?" and to me this rings truer. He senses something about Luke in the space battle from A New Hope, but he still gets the truth from his superior. I don't get where the DVD Active guy thinks he's keeping something Palps. Although you could argue that Vader is the only one who actually deals with Palps, and that any spy reports revealing the identity of the "young rebel who destroyed the battle station" would go through Vader first.

And I love TPM. I still shudder at the bad lines, but there's just too much cool shit peppered throughout. It's still the most epic of all of them to me, and the pod race and sabre fight have been matched but not really surpassed. That's not to say it's my favorite; I still rank it second to last.

I think Vader may be withholding his intentions over what to do with Luke when they finally meet up. I mean, the guy flat out says at the end of Empire that they'd "rule the galaxy as father and son," Palps be damned.

Now looking back on it, I'm warming up to the change.

There's great stuff to be found in TPM: Qui-Gonn, the podrace, the final battle sequence, all of the effects being fully realized, but I hate having to shift through the mounds of corny shit to enjoy it.

I haven't either, and I can add LotR to that statement, too. It's a source of pride for me.

For the record, I've never been in a cult or otherwise forcibly confined in any way.

Nice "to watch" list, btw. :up:

I've not seen LotR either. Not all that much interest to, at the moment. Many films I'd like to see before them.

There's great stuff to be found in TPM: Qui-Gonn, the podrace, the final battle sequence, all of the effects being fully realized, but I hate having to shift through the mounds of corny shit to enjoy it.

Hard to argue about the corny stuff, but to me, it's worth wading through.

Just, please remember this, YLB:

Sandstorms can be VERY dangerous.

I've read all of the Potter books, and saw the first four films, but hated the fourth Potter film so much that I still haven't gotten around to viewing the fifth film.

Oh, god. Life Aquatic is absolutely hilarious if you're in the right frame of mind.

"Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go on an overnight drunk, and in 10 days I'm going to set out to find the shark that ate my friend and destroy it. Anyone who wants to tag along is more than welcome."

You like Bowie a lot, too, don't you PFan?

Look out for the dude playin Bowie songs in a foreign language throughout the entire film.

Are you an angel?

A goddess in disguise.

Pfan, you should watch the LOTR movies when you can. Keep your hopes relatively low and you may be very surprised. They're technically brilliant, though the story may not interest you. I prefer the books, personally.

I love the LOTR movies. Just sayin'.

They are definitely worth watching. Especially if you have procured some of that Elvish pipe-weed first.

Hard to argue about the corny stuff, but to me, it's worth wading through.

Just, please remember this, YLB:

Sandstorms can be VERY dangerous.

Well to me the big difference between TPM and Jedi is that in the latter, whole sections of the film are terrible and virtually without merit. You have the Vader/Palps/Luke stuff, which is great, and the space battle, but to me THAT'S IT (the Jabba's skiff barge thing has like 2 cool moments and about 20 bad ones) for the whole film.

In TPM, even a scene as bad as the dinner table at the Skywalker residence has some great lines, like Qui-Gon and "I wish that were true." Same with Otoh Gunga. Okay, there's a lot of Jar Jar, but the whole design of the underwater city is awesome. And I personally love Boss Nass. There aren't any SCENES that are worthless, with the exception of Jar Jar entering the droid hold on the Queen's ship (it's mercifully short). Now to be fair, there aren't many scenes that don't have something forehead-slappingly stupid in them, but it's more consistent and you don't have to wait as long for the next highlight.

TPM also benefits from seeing all these new characters and places for the first time. In Jedi the only character improved from the previous films is Luke, and that haircut threatens to sink him as well. As for "exciting" new settings, Jabba's palace is like a combination of the Jawa's Droid Factory and the creature cantina from A New Hope. The Death Star and Dagobah we've seen already (and more OF them the last time), and most of us have seen a forest before. In TPM you have the Federation Base Ship, the underwater city, Theed Palace, Mos Espa (a lot more varied than what we've seen before from Tattooine), and Coruscant. It's loaded with imaginative ideas, whereas in Jedi that's left to Jim Henson, and doesn't yield very good results.

Well to me the big difference between TPM and Jedi is that in the latter, whole sections of the film are terrible and virtually without merit. You have the Vader/Palps/Luke stuff, which is great, and the space battle, but to me THAT'S IT (the Jabba's skiff barge thing has like 2 cool moments and about 20 bad ones) for the whole film.

In TPM, even a scene as bad as the dinner table at the Skywalker residence has some great lines, like Qui-Gon and "I wish that were true." Same with Otoh Gunga. Okay, there's a lot of Jar Jar, but the whole design of the underwater city is awesome. And I personally love Boss Nass. There aren't any SCENES that are worthless, with the exception of Jar Jar entering the droid hold on the Queen's ship (it's mercifully short). Now to be fair, there aren't many scenes that don't have something forehead-slappingly stupid in them, but it's more consistent and you don't have to wait as long for the next highlight.

TPM also benefits from seeing all these new characters and places for the first time. In Jedi the only character improved from the previous films is Luke, and that haircut threatens to sink him as well. As for "exciting" new settings, Jabba's palace is like a combination of the Jawa's Droid Factory and the creature cantina from A New Hope. The Death Star and Dagobah we've seen already (and more OF them the last time), and most of us have seen a forest before. In TPM you have the Federation Base Ship, the underwater city, Theed Palace, Mos Espa (a lot more varied than what we've seen before from Tattooine), and Coruscant. It's loaded with imaginative ideas, whereas in Jedi that's left to Jim Henson, and doesn't yield very good results.

You liked Boss Nass' obnoxious facial tics? More power to you. I would've enjoyed the Gungans more if they didn't speak like an overt racial stereotype. Same with the Neimodians. When you go back to the original trilogy, I don't think you see anything as racially, either intentionally or unintentionally, motivated.

I definitely agree with you about locations though. And then in Jedi we get Endor, which looks like the woods about 50 yards from my house, save for the redwood trees.

Absolutely. Murray really sold his character, which really struck me half way through the film.

Did I ever mention that I recently won an eBay auction for Adidas custom "Team Zissou" shoes? Exactly like they are in the film.

Solid.

154587830_c46557d8eb.jpg

Well, in the spirit of full disclosure...

I've never seen any of the Evil Dead films.

Do your worst. Sigh.
what. evil dead is a great series. i especially love army of darkness.

all right you primitive screwheads, listen up! you see this? this... is my boomstick! the twelve-gauge double-barreled remington. s-mart's top of the line. you can find this in the sporting goods department. that's right, this sweet baby was made in grand rapids, michigan. retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. it's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. that's right. shop smart. shop s-mart. you got that?

:heart:

oh and i hate to double post, but...i see pfan is also watching the star wars movies. i watched the first one (as in a new hope) saturday night. i'm now waiting for empire strikes back to arrive. :waiting:

They're technically brilliant, though the story may not interest you.

I'd say it's the complete opposite really, although I'm not particularly compelled by that kind of D&D fantasy stuff either. But the character arc and plot threads were pretty interesting for the most part, but I think the whole thing suffered from Peter Jackson syndrome. Principle symptom being he can't fucking direct. Pretty pedestrian filmmaking through and through, aside from some of the great stuff WETA accomplished with those films.

what. evil dead is a great series. i especially love army of darkness.

all right you primitive screwheads, listen up! you see this? this... is my boomstick! the twelve-gauge double-barreled remington. s-mart's top of the line. you can find this in the sporting goods department. that's right, this sweet baby was made in grand rapids, michigan. retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. it's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. that's right. shop smart. shop s-mart. you got that?

:heart:

I know that a lot of people love the series, hence me "admitting" that I'd not seen any, and hence me saying that fans should "do their worst" to me for not having seen it. They lobotomize you, or just work on your feet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom