Interference Random Movie Talk & Robin: The Thrilling Fourth Installment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, she's unavailable tonight. I'm going out with the boys, then returning home and watching this on the downstairs computer.

Also, I may listen to Exile on Main Street tonight. Then probably your DI5 list tomorrow.

Shit's going on.

Go with the originals, unless you want respectable quality digitally re-mastered audio and picture that doesn't look like it was shit out a second-rate VHS salesman's butthole.

Agreed. Do not waste your time with the originals. The one cool Han Solo moment is not worth the upgraded effects. It really isn't. The fleshing out of Mos Eisley and Bespin would be worth Han offering to blow Greedo to avoid getting killed.

Wow. I almost expected you to vehemently disagree with me on that one. Good to see you're not one of those scary uberpurists.

Agreed. Do not waste your time with the originals. The one cool Han Solo moment is not worth the upgraded effects. It really isn't. The fleshing out of Mos Eisley and Bespin would be worth Han offering to blow Greedo to avoid getting killed.

I was never too fond of the new Jabba sequence in the '97 cut, or the inserting of Ian McDiarmid and Hayden Christiansen in Empire and Jedi, or the new song in Jabba's Palace. The McDiarmid one would've been cool, but the dialogue and delivery change give the whole scene a different feel. Since 99% of anyone knows the "big twist," it's not that big of a deal, but for someone watching it for the first time, it takes the fun away. The Anakin thing would be alright, if not for the awkward "I'm going to rape the shit out of you" glare he gives...

That aside, I prefer the special editions and would suggest those over the original cuts, since they're more true to Lucas' original vision.

When I rewatch them, I always return to the originals. Fuck the special editions.

It's a sentimental thing.

PFan, since you have no sentimental attachment to these films, please make the wise decision and choose the special editions...they represent a significant improvement over the originals. When Laz, Lance, YLB and I all agree, there has to be some truth being laid down.

I'll never have the same attachment to the original trilogy as the guys who saw them in theaters in their youth. That's something I'll never argue, unlike some people. The closest thing I have is seeing the Special Edition re-releases back in the late '90s and wearing out all of the VHS copies that I owned.

They got the original trilogy... I got the prequel trilogy. And for that, I was always be green with envy.

I saw the originals in the theater, and remember the fucking lines around the block to see Empire and Jedi.....Empire came out before there were cineplexes, so it was mass chaos...by the time Jedi came out, you had more multi-theater complexes, but still not like today.

That being said, I love love love those films, but, feel like the special editions are a better example of what Lucas wanted to get done, and so I'll opt for the better viewing experience over "sentimentality" every time.

I want to say I had my "Seeing Empire in theaters" moment with The Dark Knight. Are they in the same ballpark in terms of overall quality? Not quite, but my attachment to Batman outweighs my attachment to Star Wars, shockingly.

Empire and Raiders of the Lost Ark are the two most entertaining films ever made, in my opinion... and some of you slapheads saw them when they first came out.

I want to say I had my "Seeing Empire in theaters" moment with The Dark Knight. Are they in the same ballpark in terms of overall quality? Not quite, but my attachment to Batman outweighs my attachment to Star Wars, shockingly.

Empire and Raiders of the Lost Ark are the two most entertaining films ever made, in my opinion... and some of you slapheads saw them when they first came out.

Impossible to compare, I think. No internet, for one. So, there were zero spoilers.

You're sitting there, and Vader and Luke are going at it in Cloud City, then you fucking found out that Vader is Luke's Dad....WTF??? It was truly a jaw-dropper.

Then, it ends with a very strong cliff-hanger.

But you're asking about overall quality.......

I loved TDK very much, and was as amped to see it as I had been for a film in a long time, but it's, to me, no Empire (that's no moon)....and that's not a sentimental thing......you know how I feel about Empire, best action flick of all-time, for me.......of course, Empire does not feature a performance as riveting as Ledger's, that must be said........but overall, the mix of action, comedy, drama, revelation and suspense in Empire is hard to top.

Well, in the spirit of full disclosure...

I've never seen any of the Evil Dead films.

Do your worst. Sigh.

I had only seen Army of Darkness until I dated a girl who loved all of them. They're atrocious honestly, and that's what makes them good. I guess. I'm not a huge fan but a 4th one still interests me.

Impossible to compare, I think. No internet, for one. So, there were zero spoilers.

You're sitting there, and Vader and Luke are going at it in Cloud City, then you fucking found out that Vader is Luke's Dad....WTF??? It was truly a jaw-dropper.

Then, it ends with a very strong cliff-hanger.

But you're asking about overall quality.......

I loved TDK very much, and was as amped to see it as I had been for a film in a long time, but it's, to me, no Empire (that's no moon)....and that's not a sentimental thing......you know how I feel about Empire, best action flick of all-time, for me.......of course, Empire does not feature a performance as riveting as Ledger's, that must be said........but overall, the mix of action, comedy, drama, revelation and suspense in Empire is hard to top.

BUT SIIIIIIRRRRRRR

I tried to stay as spoiler-free as I could, and TDK still managed to surprise me. But yeah, living in the Internet Age hampers that immensely. I'm with you on the TDK / Empire thing entirely, that experience is impossible to replicate now, but I feel that my own experience with TDK is the closest I'll have in my childhood/young adulthood to something like that.

Army of Darkness is pretty fun, I'd like to check out the other ones.

This has nothing to do with movies, but what the FUCK are they doing making me work 6 fucking days this week? Bad enough I have to call in for my schedule the night before the new week starts, but my schedule's been the same all summer long, and we already have too many fucking shifts a piece so that none of us end up making any money. Now I only have Friday off?! Fuck it all.

(I'm a server at a local bar/restaurant by the way)

This has nothing to do with movies, but what the FUCK are they doing making me work 6 fucking days this week? Bad enough I have to call in for my schedule the night before the new week starts, but my schedule's been the same all summer long, and we already have too many fucking shifts a piece so that none of us end up making any money. Now I only have Friday off?! Fuck it all.

Are you in school, too?

Don't try to make it sound more glamorous than it is.

fairhotdogonastick.jpg

I was never too fond of the new Jabba sequence in the '97 cut, or the inserting of Ian McDiarmid and Hayden Christiansen in Empire and Jedi, or the new song in Jabba's Palace. The McDiarmid one would've been cool, but the dialogue and delivery change give the whole scene a different feel. Since 99% of anyone knows the "big twist," it's not that big of a deal, but for someone watching it for the first time, it takes the fun away. The Anakin thing would be alright, if not for the awkward "I'm going to rape the shit out of you" glare he gives...

While the extended dance number in Jedi was painful, when you're already operating on that awful level it just doesn't matter so much. It's like someone shits on your face, and then decides to vomit on you for good measure. You're already numb at that point (or hard, if you're NSW).

And I don't really know what you mean about McDiarmid in Empire. All he says is "the son of Skywalker". He doesn't imply that Darth is Anakin in any way. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong by quoting the different versions, but I don't even have a copy of the old one anymore.

As for the level of excitement, yeah, Empire and Jedi were both hugely promoted. And I mentioned recently that my whole second grade class (it pains me to write that) took a field trip on a school day to see Empire when it opened. Having said that, I was probably at the peak of my Star Wars fandom when The Phantom Menace came out. I bought every magazine in sight that featured the film, had Star Wars 2-liter Pepsi bottles, Slurpee cups, Doritos bags, etc. saved. I got like 12 twenty-somethings from my work to all see it together on opening day, and the funny thing is that everyone seemed to like it at the time. For the record, it's the film I've seen the most times in the theatre...9.

I have now lost all credibility on this forum, though in my defense, films lasted a lot longer in the theatres back in '99, and this is including a few trips to the dollar theatre, and a re-release screening for charity in November.

While the extended dance number in Jedi was painful, when you're already operating on that awful level it just doesn't matter so much. It's like someone shits on your face, and then decides to vomit on you for good measure. You're already numb at that point (or hard, if you're NSW).

And I don't really know what you mean about McDiarmid in Empire. All he says is "the son of Skywalker". He doesn't imply that Darth is Anakin in any way. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong by quoting the different versions, but I don't even have a copy of the old one anymore.

As for the level of excitement, yeah, Empire and Jedi were both hugely promoted. And I mentioned recently that my whole second grade class (it pains me to write that) took a field trip on a school day to see Empire when it opened. Having said that, I was probably at the peak of my Star Wars fandom when The Phantom Menace came out. I bought every magazine in sight that featured the film, had Star Wars 2-liter Pepsi bottles, Slurpee cups, Doritos bags, etc. saved. I got like 12 twenty-somethings from my work to all see it together on opening day, and the funny thing is that everyone seemed to like it at the time. For the record, it's the film I've seen the most times in the theatre...9.

I have now lost all credibility on this forum, though in my defense, films lasted a lot longer in the theatres back in '99, and this is including a few trips to the dollar theatre, and a re-release screening for charity in November.

I think your breakdown of how Jedi sucks is one of the best things I've read on this part of the forum.

RE: McDiarmid:

At one point during the film, the Emperor contacts Darth Vader aboard his flagship, the Executor. This exchange acknowledges that both the Emperor and Vader know they are searching for Luke Skywalker. Click here for the original version of this scene. For the 2004 DVD release, actor Ian McDiarmid reprised the role he played in the other films and re-recorded all of the Emperor’s dialogue. What is more, certain lines were altered to make it appear as though Vader was keeping something from the Emperor. You can listen to the new dialogue in its entirety by clicking here.

Star Wars: The Changes - Part Two in Editorial > Articles at DVDActive

I'm down with the McDiarmid change, to keep in line with the other films, but don't like the added lines here. Changing the deliver to sound more like the Palps we know? That's cool, but apart from that, I find it unnecessary.

I know you're a fan of Attack of the Clones, but don't recall how you feel about Phantom Menace. I saw it in theaters 3 times, the most ever for me.

Having said that, I was probably at the peak of my Star Wars fandom when The Phantom Menace came out. I bought every magazine in sight that featured the film, had Star Wars 2-liter Pepsi bottles, Slurpee cups, Doritos bags, etc. saved. I got like 12 twenty-somethings from my work to all see it together on opening day, and the funny thing is that everyone seemed to like it at the time. For the record, it's the film I've seen the most times in the theatre...9.

Laz, at my job, two coworkers and I watched the Phantom trailer every day, until the 2nd trailer came out....then we watched both every day until the fucking film came out.

And, with Menace AND Clones, I can honestly say that everyone I saw it with liked it a whole of a lot more than they'll admit to now. I liked them a lot more than most people did, I suppose, and still do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom