Interference Random Movie Talk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shoot 'em Up: caught a matinee this morning, fucking insane. Laugh out loud funny, with some of the most creative gunplay acrobatics ever. I must have blurted out "Holy shit!" like 5 times.

Well worth the price of admission, though don't expect anything substantial.

Oh yeah, in case you were wondering, Clive Owen is STILL the baddest motherfucker currently in cinema.

I saw the sex scene/gun fight online yesterday. Looks pretty ridiculous and awesome. My friends I'm going out with tonight really want to see this instead of Yuma, but I might just stand my ground and see Yuma alone if need be. I simply can't afford to spend money on movies I don't really want to see. :(

*sigh*

Looks like I have to see Shoot 'Em Up tonight instead. Oh well. Hopefully i'll enjoy it regardless.

Yuma shall wait until tomorrow night.

Lance, I saw your review for Shoot Em Up
sorry you watched a crappy film.

I can only hope I will enjoy it, because I've been looking forward to it for a while.

the worst thing I saw in the theater was Apocalypto, it was so bad I started fidgeting cause I was tired of sitting and having to watch it. My brother chose to see it and of course wanted to watch it all, but it was painful to watch it in its entirety.

One friend I was with loved it, another hated it like me, and two others I think were sort of luke-warm towards it.

Another group of my friends ended up going to the exact same show oddly enough, and 3 out of 4 of them liked it. so that's about 50/50 in/out of favor for it, so I couldn't begin to say whether or not you'd enjoy it.

As for Apocalypto, I sort of enjoyed it. It was completely ridiculous, and one of the most insane films I've ever seen, but there was something attractive about it. There was some real tension in the film despite being completely batshit crazy. :shrug: Still far from a great film though.

I'm waiting for the inevitable Clive Owen-Sam Jackson pairing. That'll be one for the ages.

LemonMacPhisto said:
I'm waiting for the inevitable Clive Owen-Sam Jackson pairing. That'll be one for the ages.

Hopefully the audience's heads will all explode and it will mark the end of the not-short-enough-lived "Let's make a shitty movie on purpose because it's kool" genre.

Lancemc said:

Hopefully the audience's heads will all explode and it will mark the end of the not-short-enough-lived "Let's make a shitty movie on purpose because it's kool" genre.

Not every movie's going to be a cinematic achievement though. If there wasn't a Road House-level great ridiculous movie every year or two, my head would explode from boredom.

At this point, Clive and Sam are about tied in the Badass Top 5, then there's Kurt Russell, who blows them both out of the water.

But Shoot 'Em Up is a boring movie. This is a completely different beast from Road House. Road House is a bad movie for completely different reasons, which makes it reasonably enjoyable. I'm sick of movies that try to be "bad" by design in order to cash in on the Snakes On A Plane "15-to-25-year-old-dudes-who-think-it's-cool-to-like-crap-movies" trend of the last couple years. It's the kind of joke that worked well once, and only then because the script of the movie was genuinely awful, not by design.

Exactly. Road House is a gloriously ridiculous movie, with genuinely entertaining characters.

Movies like Crank and Shoot 'Em Up are just lame, contrived shit-fests.

Camp could work when it's self-aware, look at the '60s Batman series, but you're right, most of the times, it doesn't. A lot of it relies on the popularity of the big star (Clive, The Swayze, Kurt Russell to name a few.) I'm sure when Big Trouble in Little China came out it was considered terrible, now it's a cult classic, so go figure. Same with Escape from New York. John Carpenter, you magnificent bastard.

I need to see Shoot 'Em Up before I make a firm opinion on it though.

No spoken words said:
I like movies like Road House or Tombstone, that tried to be good, failed, but wound up being entertaining anyway.

I think you nailed it there. It's all in the design. What's the point of making purposefully over-the-top, crappy movies? It's an obvious cash-in on the latest trend. 15 years from now, nobody's going ot give a flying fuck about films like Shoot 'Em Up, and they'll just be remembered as boring crap.

And Tombstone was saved by some fantasticly on-the-ball performances, enough so to warrant my DVD purchase the other day. I love that film. Val Kilmer rocks my world.

And who's in Tombstone?

Kurt Russell.

This is getting a little frightening, guys.

Sam Elliot and his wicked moustache. :rockon:

And the James Cameron All-Stars. :up:

How do you top a movie that boasts "I used to fuck guys like you in prison", "pain don't hurt", "right boot" "you're a bleeder" "kick a man in his knee and he'll drop like a stone" and "you're too stupid to have a good time"? (I may have paraphrased one of those but still)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom