Interference Random Movie Talk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
McTerminator

Sweet Moses on a cracker:

Hey folk Harry here. Just got off the phone with an extremely trusted source who has never been wrong before. he revealed exclusively to AICN that in the upcoming McG reboot, TERMINATOR SALVATION: The Future Begins, that they have cast CHRISTIAN BALE as none other than JOHN CONNER. you folks know what that means...

THIS IS GOING TO KICK ASS!!!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/34867

We all know T3 was a pile of shit and McG still isn't a legit director, but that is a way to start things. Christian Fucking Bale as John Connor. Yes!

What a lame choice by Christian Bale. Doesn't he have anything better to do than work on this fanboy leftover? You'd think he'd be sick of it after 2 Batman films, even if they were with a great director like Nolan.

It's up to him really. I haven't seen Rescue Dawn yet but he was great in 3:10 to Yuma. As long as he can diversify between fanboy and other roles, he should be fine. Now there's at least a 10% chance that movie won't suck.

Hitchcock marathon on AMC tomorrow, some good ones are playing too:

Psycho
Rear Window
Vertigo
Torn Curtain
The Trouble with Harry
The Man Who Knew Too Much ('50s)
Shadow of a Doubt
Dial M for Murder

Now that I have DVR, I can record the last 5 and watch them later. Vertigo came in today from NetFlix, so I'll watch that bad boy tonight.

Last edited:
Coming out of Rescue Dawn, 3:10 to Yuma, The Prestige, I'm Not There, and The Dark Knight, he decides to do THIS???

WTF, Bale. You dumb shit.

I can't believe he would sign on to this absolute abortion of a film project.

Christ.

Bleck.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Hitchcock marathon on AMC tomorrow, some good ones are playing too:

Psycho
Rear Window
Vertigo
Torn Curtain
The Trouble with Harry
The Man Who Knew Too Much ('50s)
Shadow of a Doubt
Dial M for Murder

Now that I have DVR, I can record the last 5 and watch them later. Vertigo came in today from NetFlix, so I'll watch that bad boy tonight.

Definitely try and see Shadow of a Doubt and Dial M For Murder if for some reason you can't get all of them. Both of them are great and fantastic entertainment with it.

Seen any other Hitchcock's recently?

Those are the two I'm most excited for, actually. I watched the first 30 minutes of Vertigo last night before falling asleep (it was about 1 AM), so I'll try and rewatch the whole thing today.

My Hitchcock total will then go up to 4 (loved Rear Window, really liked Psycho, and kind of disliked The Birds)

Cool, it'd be great to hear your thoughts on them.

Whenever you feel like watching more you just can't go wrong with the four he made with Cary Grant: Suspicion, Notorious, To Catch a Thief and North By North West.

I posted reviews of the 3 I've seen somewhere on here or the review thread, can't remember where.

Those 4 movies are on the NetFlix queue, too.

If you guys aren't on Flixster already, you should be. It's a sweet networking site based on film reviews and making lists. I've been using it as a Facebook application and it's been pretty cool.

http://www.flixster.com/

LemonMacPhisto said:
I posted reviews of the 3 I've seen somewhere on here or the review thread, can't remember where.

Those 4 movies are on the NetFlix queue, too.

I read those, thanks for the thoughts.

Just make sure you share the rest here too :D

Oh, there will be quite a few coming in the next week. Don't you worry. :wink:

Apocalypse Now came from NetFlix, too. I plan on watching either this or Gangs of New York tomorrow (Gangs for extra credit in American History). Not sure which.

Last edited:
Wow, my favorite film ever vs. my 2nd favorite of the decade so far.

Enjoy, whatever you choose.

BTW, today in Los Angeles there is a Woody Allen double feature at the New Beverly Theatre: Stardust Memories & The Purple Rose of Cairo. It's nice to be back home where you can see old films, even just for a weekend.

Maybe I'll see if Zooey wants to go with me. :wink:

Wondering if anyone has seen Beowolf in 3D. I love 3D but am generally disappointed by the end result when it has been used. Has the technology really improved like I keep hearing, or is it still occasional thrills while getting a headache wearing those stupid glasses.

Thought I'd ask, cuz this one sounds interesting. And I'd like to catch it before the 3D version disappears, if it's worth it.

Random Movie Talk on p.3?!

PREPOSTEROUS!

Anyway, for anyone who cares, Samuel Fuller's masterpiece Park Row is showing on Turner Classic Movies on January 22nd, if I'm not mistaken. This is not available on DVD, VHS, laserdisc, etc.

You do not want to miss this brilliant look at the early days of the newspaper business. One of Fuller's best.

Here's a little review capsule to whet your appetite:

http://onfilm.chicagoreader.com/movies/capsules/17232_PARK_ROW

I'll be expecting reviews from those who have cable and manage to check it out.

hardyharhar said:
Wondering if anyone has seen Beowolf in 3D. I love 3D but am generally disappointed by the end result when it has been used. Has the technology really improved like I keep hearing, or is it still occasional thrills while getting a headache wearing those stupid glasses.

Thought I'd ask, cuz this one sounds interesting. And I'd like to catch it before the 3D version disappears, if it's worth it.

My roommates saw it and said the 3D was cool and the movie was awful.

Listening to the Youth Without Youth soundtrack now.

It's quite beautiful, and can be found here

http://www.sonyclassics.com/youthwithoutyouth/main.html

under the Soundtrack tab.

You can also find the trailers there, along with lengthly reports and synopsis' of the film and its production. I've been watching the latest trailer for this film pretty frequently during the past couple days. Definitely one of the best trailers of the year.

Early word has been pretty sour overall, but I think this could be one I'll end up liking anyway. I'm hardly the norm anyway when it comes to critical/audience consensus (like everyone slobbering over Into the Wild while I found it to be pretty lousy). The mentioned positive aspects of the film sounds truly wonderful, while the negative remarks seem like things I either wouldn't be concerned with in the first place or would be easy to ignore/forgive in leu of the film's ambitions and approach to the material.

Great film or not I think it's going to be hard to ignore Coppola's ambition and artistic integrity here. He hasn't made a film this way in his life, and really hasn't made a true art film since Apocalypse Now I believe. Great film or not, I'll be there opening night if I can. I'm really anxious to see this one more each day.

Really do try to check out the second theatrical trailer though, it's fantastic.

Finally had a Saturday off and so I saw No Country For Old Men. The Coen's did the book justice. Soooo many movies I missed lately....Lust, Caution.....3:10 to Yuma, Eastern Promises, Assasination of Jesse James....and more, so, glad I at least got to see this.

No Country is probably my favorite of the year right now.

Lust, Caution, Eastern Promises, Jesse James...all 9/10's for me.

Before The Devil Knows You're Dead is my current #2 though. I just can't get enough of Philip Seymour Hoffman these days.

I left that out, Before the Devil Knows You're Dead.....that's on my list, too.....I hate when I fall too far behind with films.....No Country, I want to see it again, soon......I have one or two scenes I'd like to see again.......

No Country and Darjeeling are my faves so far this year. I haven't seen many other "arthouse" films (Lust, Caution, Jesse James..., Eastern Promises to name a few), but some others have been extremely enjoyable:

Sunshine
Superbad
Hot Fuzz
Grindhouse
3:10 to Yuma
Knocked Up
even Die Hard and Transformers were worth the watch on the big screen.

I actually just read another review of Jesse James, from Incontention.com that stated:

At the risk of sensationalism, I would call “The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford” the most accomplished work of moving imagery committed to film in nearly a decade. It is a staggering piece of true cinematic art.

I definitely think that's a bit too hyperbolic, but it did remind me how astonishingly good it was. I think I need to reconsider my "low" rating of 9/10 I gave that film, though I won't do such a thing until I see it for a third time. :up:

Lancemc said:
I actually just read another review of Jesse James, from Incontention.com that stated:

I definitely think that's a bit too hyperbolic, but it did remind me how astonishingly good it was. I think I need to reconsider my "low" rating of 9/10 I gave that film, though I won't do such a thing until I see it for a third time. :up:

I've been reading Kris Tapley's In Contention blog for a while now, and he's often hyperbolic in his raves and dismissals (he gave No Country like 2.5 stars). But I do enjoy his takes, and I love that he loves Jesse, which I need to see again before making a final ranking for the year.

Also, Lance, I disagree that Apocalypse was FFC's last art film. What the hell is One From the Heart? And despite the awful acting by Keanu and Winona, Dracula is very much an art film, and a pretty amazing piece of visualization. So many of those shots are just perfectly composed and lit. I'd also add Rumble Fish to that list.

I do agree that this is Coppola's most ambitious film in 30 years, and I imagine I'll be with you in that minority of its admirers at year's end.

You know, I realized as soon as I wrote that about the "art films" that it was a dumb-shit thing to say. It wasn't what I meant to say, but I think you figured out what I was getting it.

Anywho, once I'm done with A.N. now, I'll be up for some more Coppola/Apocalypse/Y.W.Y. discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom