Instrumental Soundtracks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pearl

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I just bought all three Lord of the Rings soundtracks, and all of them are great. The music is so beautiful. I just added them to my small, but growing collection of movie soundtracks that are mainly instrumental. That includes:

Bram Stoker's Dracula - haunting and eerie, but dramatic
Braveheart - a mixture of excitement and emotions
Dances With Wolves - I think this CD is the most exciting
Gladiator - my favorite until now
Last of the Mohicans - also excitement and emotions, but better than Braveheart

Troy is next on my list of CDs to get

I was wondering if anyone here has any instrumental soundtracks. Which ones do you have and what do you like about them?

I don't know...

I love The Hours ost, and is instrumental, but I'm not sure that would be good choice

I also have the trilogy of LOTR, Gladiator, Braveheart, and Last Of The Mohicans (Promentory is one of my all time favorite themes)

The Passion Of the Christ by John Debney is really good, but I would only recomend this one if you were moved by the movie. There's also the Passion (Last Temptation Of Christ) by Peter Gabriel which is probably one of the best scores I've ever heard, I actually bought this one before watching the movie and loved every single track.

Other favorites are
Road To Perdition, but just some of the tracks.
Black Hawk Down, is really good, but it includes many guitars and drums, the 11th track Gortoz A Ran-J'Attends is similar to the last tracks of Gladiator. (Hans Zimmer made both)
If you like African rhythms you'll probably like The Power Of One, although the movie is not very good the soundtrack is incredible, actually one of the tracks was featured on one of the first trailers for Fellowship of the Ring that's how I discovered this soundtrack.
Last Samurai is also a favorite.

My sister has the soundtrack to the Passion, and I saw the movie. I'll probably get that one too.

Promentory is excellent. As for Gladiator, tracks 8,9, 16 and 17 made the CD one of my favorites. The first seven on Braveheart are also good.

Another soundtrack I have but don't listen to much is Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. The music is great, but I felt that some of the music from the movie was cut out, and most of them I thought provided the best music in the movie

Last edited:
Any soundtrack that Vangelis has done. My favs:

Chariots of Fire
1492: Conquest of Paradise
Blade Runner

I don't think I have a purely instrumental soundtrack, although Paris, Texas and Cookie's Fortune are largely instrumental. I've also heard good things about another Ry Cooder soundtrack, his score for The End Of Violence (which should be largely instrumental). Speaking of which...
Although not instrumental at all, the soundtracks to Until The End Of The World, Faraway, So Close! and The End Of Violence are great. They (mostly) consist of original songs written for the respective movies and are thus more than just a great compilation CD. And having just bought the Gangs Of New York soundtrack (another with U2 involvement, see a pattern here? ;)) I have to say that one is really good too, it brings across that Irish/New York link and the history of it.

C ya!

Marty

My faves:

LoTR trilogy - my absolute favourite, not the least because I'm so enthralled with the films, :). Howard Shore is a bloody genius.
The Godfather
Gladiator
Twin Peaks (the TV series) - eerie, unsettling score by Angelo Badalamenti
Schindler's List - haunting stuff, with beautiful violin
Titanic - ok, that Celione Dion song is pretty horrid, but I really like the score itself

The only ones that I know of and love are,

Dead Man- Neil Young- awesome and haunting music
The Insider- Lisa Gerrard- one half of Dead Can Dance and I would buy anything that has her name associated with it:wink:

oh and I forgot to mention most of Tim Burton's films have excellent scores that are done by Danny Elfman, most notably Edward Scissorhands and The Nightmare Before Christmas:wink:

Last edited:
To follow up on the Twin Peaks suggestion, also check out The Straight Story OST, another work by David Lynch which was also scored by Angelo Badalamenti. It's eerie and haunting at times as well, but in a slightly different way. "Rose's Theme" is a very, very pretty piece. The score fits the film and its Midwest US backdrop very well.

Also recommend the movie for anyone who hasn't seen it. I haven't seen much of Lynch's other stuff, but it's what I might call "minimalist" cinema, which isn't a bad thing.

Last edited:
A have a compilation of music from the the first three Star Wars movies. I've loved that music since I was a little kid! Even now that I'm older, I find it holds up really well.

Another CD I would recommend is "The Snow Files" by Mark Snow. About half of it is stuff he composed for "The X-Files" and the other half is stuff he composed for other TV shows. It's kind of hard to find, so you probably have to go to Amazon or Ebay and get it used, but if you loved the work Snow did on XF it's a must. There's another CD out there with just Snow's XF music on it, but it sucks because they have bits of dialogue from the show over parts of some tracks and it's extremely annoying when you just want to hear the music.

I haven't seen The Hours, but sometime I'll get around to seeing it. What does the soundtrack sound like?

originally posted by Bono's Shades
I have a compilation of music from the the first three Star Wars movies. I've loved that music since I was a little kid! Even now that I'm older, I find it holds up really well.

Its funny, I was thinking about those movies today and wondering if I should ever buy the soundtracks to them! I remember some of the music being good

Did Mark Snow compose the theme to X-Files that is electronic and you hear "Do you really want to know?" several times? I've also heard the theme song to Twin Peaks. I have those two songs on one of those "Pure Moods" CDs that has a few other movie themes on it. It has the themes to "The Exorcist" (eerie in a cool way) and "The Last Emperor" (good score)

Last edited:
Pearl said:
I haven't seen The Hours, but sometime I'll get around to seeing it. What does the soundtrack sound like?

the movie rules :yes: and the soundtrack too... is Philip Glass, piano and strings, very dramatic and tragic music... I simply love it :drool:

Jack In The Box said:

the movie rules :yes: and the soundtrack too... is Philip Glass, piano and strings, very dramatic and tragic music... I simply love it :drool:
:yes:
Definitely. I think the film is better and makes much more sense if you've read the book (which is amazing). Also, having a basic idea of Virginia Woolf and her issues with despression is useful. It's definitely one of those movies you think about a lot afterwards. Oh, and yes, the soundtrack is wonderful.

I haven't read the book :reject: , but still the movie is in my top 10, I have something with depressive movies... and the soundtrack captivated me

Back
Top Bottom