Indie Record Store Assholes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lazarus said:

Down the hatch!

I hate Green Day because I do know better, regardless of how many mainstream rock critics try to tell me about the genius of American Idiot (been there, done that). And really, we're not talking about high school kids and their "My First Band" infatuations, are we? We're talking about people who should have more eclectic tastes yet still listen to second-rate artists in genres where there is far better.

You're seriously undervaluing the pretentious music lover. If it wasn't for elitism we wouldn't have seen Dylan elevated to god-like status, with scholars pouring over even his most overt attempts at confusing the listening public. If it wasn't for elitism we wouldn't have a band like Pavement. What a sorry music world that would be.

Of course, many of the people rah-rahing your populist rant are probably failing to acknowledge that this is the same vantage point from which you vocally strike down Radiohead's post-OK Computer output.

So you can have your Green Day and lemonade, I'll take the gasoline and Kid A.

I hate Kid A for all the right reasons.

The music is terrible.

The fact some RH fans are hipster douchebags is just a bonus. For them and their ilk, music is a race. A game with a scorecard. The latest fashion trend.

But for those who really love it, it's all good.

And that's all that matters right? A love of music?

Not little cliques where you listen to music to "fit in."

How great would it be if all the attitude was flushed and people just shared their love of music?

Do I really need to hear every Woody Gutherie song in order to dig Dylan?

And if I know every Woody Gutherie song, does it mean my enjoyment of Dylans music is "better" than the fan who loves Dylan, but never dug into his influences?

How many more lurkers here would post if they knew they wouldn't get ther head ripped off for mentioning the "wrong" band?

Then you could tell them about the brilliance of "Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain", and they'd trust you cause you didn't treat them like a shithead. Then they'd go buy it and fall in love with it.

Last edited:
lazarus said:

Down the hatch!

I hate Green Day because I do know better, regardless of how many mainstream rock critics try to tell me about the genius of American Idiot (been there, done that). And really, we're not talking about high school kids and their "My First Band" infatuations, are we? We're talking about people who should have more eclectic tastes yet still listen to second-rate artists in genres where there is far better.

You're seriously undervaluing the pretentious music lover. If it wasn't for elitism we wouldn't have seen Dylan elevated to god-like status, with scholars pouring over even his most overt attempts at confusing the listening public. If it wasn't for elitism we wouldn't have a band like Pavement. What a sorry music world that would be.

Of course, many of the people rah-rahing your populist rant are probably failing to acknowledge that this is the same vantage point from which you vocally strike down Radiohead's post-OK Computer output.

So you can have your Green Day and lemonade, I'll take the gasoline and Kid A.

i'm with you.

ignorance is NEVER good. and some people are written off as elitists far too quickly.

though i'll definitely never argue the FACT that ateaseweb is filled with awful twats, and that pitchfork is far too often so far up their own ass that i hardly make the trek to see what they have to say.

MrBrau1 said:

Ignorance can be replaced with knowledge.
i have to agree with you to a point, mr. brau.

your scenario presupposes that there are people who know better, and can therefore share their knowledge with others.

but, if i said, 'maybe instead of listening to switchfoot, you should try broken social scene,' people would jump all over me for being a pretentious indie bitch.

bear's right:
some people are written off as elitists far too quickly.
especially around here.

lmjhitman said:

i have to agree with you to a point, mr. brau.

your scenario presupposes that there are people who know better, and can therefore share their knowledge with others.

but, if i said, 'maybe instead of listening to switchfoot, you should try broken social scene,' people would jump all over me for being a pretentious indie bitch.

bear's right:

especially around here.

Scenario #1:

Joe: "I like Green Day"

Elitist Music Douchebag: "Green Day suck. You're an idiot. You should be listening to The Ramones. You fucking ignorant idiot. Don't you know this? Your taste in music sucks."

"Joe" never tried The Ramones, cause "Elitist Music Douchebag" treated him like shit and lived up to his name, "Elitist Music Douchebag." Who in their right mind would take advice from such a stuck-up shit?

Joe discovers no new music. Still thinks Green Day are kings of punk rock.

Scenario #2:

Actual Human Being Who Loves Music: "If you like Green Day, you'll really like The Ramones. Old school 70's punk shit. They started it, and are still the best. Hard to believe it's 30 year old stuff. They're fun and I really love them."

"Joe" buys the Ramones Anthology and falls in love with them, because "Actual Human Being Who Loves Music" wasn't an "Elitist Music Douchebag" and his reco sounded positive and interesting.

Joe's ignorance of The Ramones is replaced with knowledge and love of music.

Last edited:
MrBrau1 said:

But an "informed" asshole is better?

Please.

Ignorance can be replaced with knowledge.

Smug is just smug. And there's nothing redeeming about it.

it's hilarious how you pretty much always state your opinion as fact, and is not worthy of even debating.

it actually reminds me of myself.

Anyone else having trouble viewing this? Everytime I click play, it reloads the page instead.

I see what you're saying about Green Day, Mr. Brau, but is there an alternative scenario to this:

Joe: I like Coldplay.

Elitist Music Douchebag: You're a lost cause.

On a serious note, what you're failing to acknowledge is that there are TONS of people who don't do anything with the knowledge they're offered or exposed to. Some people just have bad taste. They could follow Green Day to other (read: actual) punk bands and still prefer the former, not seeing what the big deal is about The Ramones, The Clash, The Germs, X, The Buzzcocks, whoever. And those are the people that ultimately get called tools by Elitist Music Douchebags like myself. How many people are (or were, more appropriately) WAY into the Goo Goo Dolls or but don't get The Replacements?

Just because ignorance CAN be replaced with knowledge doesn't mean it will be. And while I'm all for giving someone a chance, you're being all too forgiving. I'd rather hang out with smug Pitchfork assholes than the heshers who still listen to Bon Jovi, or white yuppie Dave Matthews Band devotees.

1002_thaaannks.jpg

right about now, if mr. brau ran for president, i'd seriously consider voting for him.

MrBrau1 said:

Scenario #1:

Elitist Music Douchebag: "Green Day suck. You're an idiot. You should be listening to The Ramones. You fucking ignorant idiot. Don't you know this? Your taste in music sucks."

"Joe" never tried The Ramones, cause "Elitist Music Douchebag" treated him like shit and lived up to his name, "Elitist Music Douchebag." Who in their right mind would take advice from such a stuck-up shit?

Scenario #2:

Actual Human Being Who Loves Music: "If you like Green Day, you'll really like The Ramones. Old school 70's punk shit. They started it, and are still the best. Hard to believe it's 30 year old stuff. They're fun and I really love them."

"Joe" buys the Ramones Anthology and falls in love with them, because "Actual Human Being Who Loves Music" wasn't an "Elitist Music Douchebag" and his reco sounded positive and interesting.

the only problem is that not all joes are open to having actual human being who loves music telling them of new bands. even if AHBWLM tries to not be a condescending douchebag about it, the situation can play out like:

joe: i like green day.

AHblahblah: "If you like Green Day, you'll really like The Ramones. Old school 70's punk shit. They started it, and are still the best. Hard to believe it's 30 year old stuff. They're fun and I really love them."

joe: (lying, or maybe he heard the offspring's cover of "i wanna be sedated" once) i listened to that stuff, it sucks.

joe moves on to the next trend the next week when people forget about green day again. the same thing happens, say he turns to some pop mainstream techno stuff. another music liking person comes up to him, the conversation happens again albeit with different group names, joe says he doesn't care, thus staying ignorant.

i'm all for what you're saying, mrbrau, but it relies on joe actually being a music-loving human being himself.

MrBrau1 said:

Scenario #1:

Scenario #2:

I see what you mean now, there are way too many Situation 1 characters than the latter.

my major problem is that some people actually think they are elitists while having been exposed to so little music really that the only thing they can comment upon is basically the last 5 indie bands + Pink Floyd

I think I could actually live with elitists if they actually knew what they're talking about
which is the case only now and again with Pitchfork

I like the video :D

Dylan shouldnt have been elivated to god like status anyway his vocals are terrible and his lyrics, I would say certainly are over rated. Hes a good writer sure but hes not the best writer that ever lived by a long shot.

Up with Brau :up:

Shit, I've been a music fan for longer than many of you have been alive. I lived the Ramones era. What if I like them AND Green Day?

Genuine love of music - good. Pretention - annoying and offputting.

Jack Black does the indie record store asshole better and funnier in High Fidelity.

Last edited:
The funny thing about indie eliticism is that while they're chuckling at some Nickelback-loving Joe there's a whole world of music lovers out there who think that ALL modern music is worthless rubbish compared to classical and there's basically no difference between Nickelback and Radiohead. I've met them!

I love music and always will, but seriously, it's just, you know, music.

Saracene said:
The funny thing about indie eliticism is that while they're chuckling at some Nickelback-loving Joe there's a whole world of music lovers out there who think that ALL modern music is worthless rubbish compared to classical and there's basically no difference between Nickelback and Radiohead. I've met them!

I love music and always will, but seriously, it's just, you know, music.

That's pretty awesome that you've met them.

I can be an elitist myself, but there is a difference between music Nickelback makes, and music Radiohead makes.

I read some of the lyrics for Nickelback songs, and they were actually kind of good. To me, everything else they do isn't as good.

yertle-the-turtle said:

AND it reminded me to check out Tapes n' Tapes.

Please do! Give Loon a few listens. I cannot get enough of them right now. In fact, I am driving to Kentucky (of all places) to see them!

Oh, um...EP lives in 'tucky. :uhoh:

Back
Top Bottom