Indiana Jones 4, May 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No Sean Connery :down:
John Hurt :up:

I must say, I hope this isn't going to be like Star Wars part 2. That is to say, there's all this hype and buildup surrounding it, I hope it's going to be able to live up to the already astronomical expectations.

I think it will as long as George Lucas isn't involved in any directing or dialogue revision. :up:

I have faith this movie will be good.

The only CG-heavy film I can remember Spielberg doing was War of the Worlds, which wasn't all that bad.

It seemed like a movie I would've rather seen James Cameron do.

Back on topic, the thrill and fun of this series comes from how real everything is. I think Spielberg and to some extent Lucas know this, and will stick to a less-CG heavy movie.

LemonMacPhisto said:
I think it will as long as George Lucas isn't involved in any directing or dialogue revision. :up:

I have faith this movie will be good.

Well, Lucas will have final say on the script along with Spielberg, so he'll definitely have his stamp on it, but something tells me because he's not the one actually writing it that it will be good.

I like how nice he was about saying he wouldn't be in it thought. I mean, in the end I guess we all just have to come to terms with the fact that he's getting old :(. But I like that he said having Harrison as a son is a good thing :D

No Sean Connery? Too bad. So is Indiana's father not a part of this movie at all, or did they get another actor ?

LemonMacPhisto said:
The only CG-heavy film I can remember Spielberg doing was War of the Worlds, which wasn't all that bad.

A.I. and Minority Report both had a fair amount of CGI.

Lancemc said:

A.I. and Minority Report both had a fair amount of CGI.

To me, A.I. is a Kubrick movie that Spielberg finished.

I also like to pretend Minority Report never happened. You hear me? Never happened.

Jurassic Park may also be considered CG-heavy, but unlike the Star Wars prequels, it was used as a "special" effect. Not in every scene.

In the end I feel A.I. had more Spielberg in it than Kubrick, but that's really impossible to know for sure.

And what's so bad about Minority Report? It's probably in my top 10 sci-fi flicks.

Minority Report. :up:

i think Spielberg is on record as saying that this movie is going to be pretty old school.

The ending of A.I. screams Spielberg to me, but I definitely felt the Kubrick slant throughout most of it.

I just didn't like it. I don't know what it was, maybe I saw it too long ago and have a different opinion now. I remember watching it and hoping it was better than it turned out to be. I should re-watch it sometime then.

I guess it goes back to watch I said in your thread about The 3 Most Anticipated Movies, I haven't been impressed with Post-Saving Private Ryan Spielberg other than Munich.

I agree Munich is his best after Ryan but...

LemonMacPhisto said:

I guess it goes back to watch I said in your thread about The 3 Most Anticipated Movies, I haven't been impressed with Post-Saving Private Ryan Spielberg other than Munich.

Minority Report ? A. I. ? :up:

Catch me if you can (about as close as we're going to get to the old-school Spielberg post Schindler's list) ? Solid movie.

I think the weak link is Terminal, tied with War of the worlds (saved only by Tim Robbins and the girl acting as Tom's daughter). Overall I think he's gotten better since 1993.

As for CGI, I don't think we'll be outdoing War of the worlds, or even Jurassic Park.

Last edited:
Tim Robbins saved War of the Worlds? :lol:

I think War of the Worlds would've been a better James Cameron flick than Spielberg. Call me crazy, but it would've been ten times better.

Catch Me If You Can was decent, nothing too spectacular.

The only Post-Private Ryan Spielberg flick that has blown me away was Munich. The rest were decent or good, not what I'd expect from a director of his caliber.

Like I said above, I will rewatch Minority Report and A.I. soon. I hope to prove myself wrong.

War of the Worlds was a travesty. It completely ignored or outright contradicted all the aspects that made the novel such a brilliant work of science fiction. Far and away my least favorite Spielberg film.

War of the Worlds suffered for going out of its way to include the homage to the barn scene from the original film. The entire portion with Tim Robbins was unnecessary and just killed the momentum of the film.

However, for visual effects and the sheer visceral action sequences of the invasion, it's hard to top the War of the Worlds remake.

Have you seen 1941? That's Spielberg's attempt at comedy with almost half the cast of the original SNL Not Ready for Primetime players. That movie's horrible.

War of the Worlds is up there, though. The Tim Robbins scenes and the "IF YOU LOVE ME DAD, YOU'LL LET ME GO OVER THE HUGE EXPLODING AREA OF DEATH BEYOND THAT HILL." Do you agree that it would've been a better Cameron movie?

Also, I don't get all of the hating on Hook. I really like that movie. Well, I can't stand Julia Roberts' part, but that's besides the point. It's not a bad movie.

I hope this thing rocks.

Temple of Doom-annoying really. Still there are some enteretaining parts for sure.

The Last Crusade-saw this about 8 months ago or whatever for the first time since it first came out. Stands up really well over time, pretty fucking good in every way.

Raiders-it could be easily argued that, all things considered, this is the best film ever made.

as for Spielberg and his latest output, I was ready to express a little bit of dissapointment until U2girl reminded me of Minority Report and AI, I really liked both of those movies, I thought AI was tremendous and maybe the most subtle movie he's ever made. Originally it was supposed to be a Kubrick film, had he made the exact same film, it would be lauded by the art house crowd.

I thought Munich was excellent, and I really liked Catch Me if You Can.

He's really only made two bad films since Schindler's List.
Meaning, unquestionable critical and/or commercial failures and that would be Amistad and The Terminal.

He's still probably the best. Sorta like the Beatles or something, it's too easy to call them the best so people will invent reasons to find flaws and then pick a more trendy hipster filmmaker. Yeha, I like some of those dudes as well but fucking watch Jaws again, I dare ya. Close Encounters of the Third Kind, fuckign amazing. These films are timeless. And they were nearly 30 years ago, the list goes on and on....

Fuck ET, never watched it.

Last edited:
It's hard to say whether or not War of the Worlds would have been a better Cameron movie. If nothing else Tom Cruise wouldn't have been in it. The biggest problem with the movie is the script. It's a disgrace. And I'd say I'd like to believe Cameron wouldn't produce such a lousy script, but before this film I would have said the same thing about Spielberg.

But the one big plus about Spielberg doing it instead is that Cameron got to start work on Avatar and Battle Angel. :up:

Let's say Cameron penned the script, it would be perfect.

The unlikely hero is already there, he would've made it believable. Bill Paxton would've been somehow involved. The necessary tension missing in that movie would've been in there tenfold.

Definitely right about Avatar and Battle Angel, though :up:

If Cameron penned the script he would have at least tried to stay true to the themes of the novel, so yeah, it would have been perfect. Plus it probably would have been in 3-D. Fucking awesome.

And I bet he would have included the two most awesome scenes from the novel and updated them: The battleship Warchild fighting 3 tripods in the foggy Bay, and the tripod blasting the river with the heat ray as the main character is crossing it, flash boiling everyone in sight.

Can you imagine a motion picture representation of those scenes??? They were MADE for the movies!

It probably would've been the best sci-fi/action flick ever, dethroning T2.

I think Spielberg was trying to blend the '50s movie and the novel together, and it just didn't work out that well. My biggest gripe was the virtual non-involvement of the military. If the story was going to focus solely on Tom Cruise and his family, keep it there, but it flirts with getting involved in the military aspect that never pans out.

That movie gives me a headache just thinking about it.

Back
Top Bottom