"In Time" the best of R.E.M. 1988-2003

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeartlandSoul

The Fly
Yes all you R.E.M. fans, the new album is out. Seems everybody's putting out these "best of" albums lately. I got my copy yesterday with the b-sides plus a cool little booklet and poster for the low, low price of $15.98 at my local Target :D

1. Man on the Moon
2. The Great Beyond
3. Bad Day
4. What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
5. All the Way to Reno (You're gonna be a star)
6. Losing My Religion
7. E-Bow the Letter
8. Orange Crush
9. Imitation of Life
10. Daysleeper
11. Animal
12. The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite
13. Stand
14. Electrolite
15. All the Right Friends
16. Everybody Hurts
17. At My Most Beautiful
18. Nightswimming
19. Pop Song '89 [ b bs ]
20. Turn You Inside Out [ b ]
21. Fretless [ b bs ]
22. Chance [ b bs ]
23. It's a Free World Baby [ b ]
24. Drive [ b bs ]
25. Star Me Kitten [ b ]
26. Revolution [ b ]
27. Leave [ b ]
28. Why Not Smile [ b ]
29. The Lifting [ b bs ]
30. Beat a Drum [ b bs ]
31. (All I Have to Do Is) Dream [ b ]
32. The One I Love [ b ]
33. Country Feedback [ b ]

s = single
b = bonus track
bs = bside (singles only)

I was glad for the new songs "Bad Day" and "Animal" plus the B-sides/live versions. "The One I Love" on the B-sides is a live acoustic "sad" sounding version which is truly haunting and beautiful. B-side "Star Me Kitten" is sung/intoned by William Burroughs which Peter says in the booklet is "an idea that crossed that line between genius and insanity." :crack: "Chance" is also hilarious. Some good and interesting ones on there!

I would recommend this for someone wanting to become familiar with R.E.M. or any rabid R.E.M. fans like me :yes: My only regret is there aren't more of the older songs but I suppose that would've been copyright infrigement - these were all songs done on the Warner Brothers label.

Enjoy!

I'll prolly be buying this one very soon

too bad that most of those b-sides are from the Automatic for the people album
and I already have those

ah well

:hyper:

I bought it yesterday and I love it already. I've been DYING to hear 'Animal' since I saw them play it live. I love that song!

I'm going to go pick up the DVD probably later this week. :up:

I like SHP much better than half the stuff on that list. Not only is it a peppy song and a good driving song, it has meaning. I never knew it, but I heard it was about the AIDS quilt. Then think of the lyrics-

"take it into town...put it on the ground where the flowers grow.. there's no time to cry, happy, happy...put it in your heart where tommorrow shines!"

You don't hear much about the AIDS quilt anymore, but years ago they used to add a panel for each victim and once a year the families and friends of those who died would take it to DC (take it into town) and lay it on the steps of the Capitol or the lawn by the Washington Monument and the pond (put it on the ground). It was to get the message out and ask for more funidng. I don't even know if it still exists, and how big it must be by now :( From what I heard, the song was a tribute to a friend of Stipe's who died of AIDS, who was also the brother of the redheaded girl from the B52's who sang with him. So try to overlook the lame video.

it's a great mix, even without find the river...and the dvd is really good too...even though the nightswimming video disappointed me...

highly recommended :up: :up:

Tabby said:
From what I heard, the song was a tribute to a friend of Stipe's who died of AIDS, who was also the brother of the redheaded girl from the B52's who sang with him.
the girl is kate pierson, and i wonder if the guy was kate's bandmate and cindy wilson's (the blonde girl) brother, ricky wilson. he died of aids in 85 or something.

Hello,

In the current issue of Uncut (so not the U2 one, but the next one, with Michael Stipe on the cover) there is a huge article about 20 R.E.M. singles from 1988-2003 and #20 is Shiny Happy People. Here's what they have to say about it:

Intended by Warners as a big play for chart success (they hadn't figured on "Losing My Religion"), "Shiny Happy People" is one of R.E.M.'s most notorious and reviled songs.
Comedian Denis Leary did a short routine to camera lampooning its clappy-happy sentiments which was so heavily rotated on MTV that it threatened to rebrand R.E.M. as inane jangle-popsters. While some shuddered at the song, coupled with the video featuring guest artist Kate Pierson of The B-52's bopping and cavorting joyously, it can be regarded, years on, as what it is - a consciously exuberant piece of bubblegum pop which, even minus any inverted commas, has in inbuilt irony. What's more, elation is a more difficult emotion for left-field bands to capture and sell to teen audiences than misery, so kudos to them for trying.

Mike Mills: It's not exactly the legacy we would have chosen for ourselves. Then again, it entered the lexicon and maybe there's something to be said for that/ But would we play it live? No. Never have and never will, I assure you. It's not a bad song. I'm not ashamed of it. Once in a while you've got to write a happy song and that's what that is.
Michael Stipe: Denis [Leary] at that time was approaching me at dinners, saying it was a schtick, he was a fan of the band and I completely understood that. I wouldn't say I'm embarrassed by the song but it is what it is, it has limited appeal for me. I never bad-mouth - I try to never say anything bad about the songs that I don't particularly like. Because there might be someone out there whe hears that to whom that song means everything, to whom that song represents some moment in their life which is essential and I don't want to take that from them. I put it out there, I accept responsibility. Bat, that being said, it is kind of a fun, stupid song if you're six years old. I'm not getting defensive, I'm just saying there it is, end of story. But I wouldn't particularly want to sing it again.
Peter Buck: I know Mike and Michael are embarrassed by "Shiny Happy People" but I'm not. It's totally twee, but that's OK. Even Led Zep sang about fairies and Tolkien. It's just a small part of what we've done. I'd be happy to play it live just as a one-off but Michael and Mike wouldn't agree. I don't know why they're so embarrassed about it. It seemed like I was doing it under protest at the time? Well, the video, yes, I hated that. They're like, "And then you'll dance." And then I'll dance, my ass! It's not gonna happen. "Well, try to look like you're having fun." "But I'm not having fun!" In the end, they had to work around me and they managed to find one bit of me dancing, when I was actually making fun of Michael.

They don't say anything about the song having any connections to AIDS, etc. But then again, most R.E.M. songs are so ambiguous, it's hard to put an exact meaning to it. Or rather, it can mean everything.
I'm also surprised about the dismissal by Michael and especially Mike "It's not exactly the legacy we would have chosen for ourselves." Then don't record/release the song! Duh! :tongue: You did chose to record/release the song (on the album at least) so you did put it consciously in your legacy. And it's not as if they hadn't done it before, as Pop Song '89 and Get Up (and to an extent also Stand) were also dumb pop songs (dumb in a positive way).

Anyway, it's a great collection, In Time. As for the tracks not on it that should have, that's a luxury problem when you have too many good songs. :)

C ya!

Marty

bonosgirl84 said:
well it WAS cute when they sang it on sesame street. :angry:

:lmao:

"Furry Happy Monsters looking sad!"

I love that!!

The best was when R.E.M. were on The Simpsons

Stipey: "mmmmm...curds"

:applaud:handy:applaud:
I don't own and REM CD's. I have always wished I did but didn't know whcich one to get. This solves that little problem.
to buy
-12 memories
- REM best of
:applaud:

this will be SOOOOOOOOOOO good:heart::hyper: :) :dance:

I LOVE the furry happy monsters :lol:

"Shiny Happy People" is one of R.E.M.'s most notorious and reviled songs.

I think that's hilarious! I always liked it, but I have a real silly sense of humor. I remember hearing somewhere that the band considered SHP a "musical cartoon" not to be recreated live. I didn't know they disliked it so much!!

other than SHP, in the In Time liner notes, R.E.M. said that "Stand" must have been "the stupidest songs we've ever written."

:lol:

Shiny Happy People :up:
Find The River :up:
I'll Take The Rain :up:

They all should've made the cut for the best of. Ironically i think Man On The Moon is a very pedestrian song.

Last edited:
KhanadaRhodes said:

the girl is kate pierson, and i wonder if the guy was kate's bandmate and cindy wilson's (the blonde girl) brother, ricky wilson. he died of aids in 85 or something.

I knew it was something like that, some kind of connection. I remember hearing it on MTV, like back when I was in middle school. I know there's something to it. I'll try to search for documetation of some kind. I am excited about this compilation anyway, and I still have my copy of SHP :D

Last edited:
~LadyLemon~ said:
Ahh...one of my favorite things ever: William Burroughs singing Star Me Kitten.

NO JOKE! i was on the ground laughing...i love it. along with chance, there's no way they can't cheer you up.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom