In the words of Kramer: "I'M OUT." - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-01-2005, 10:14 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
randhail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Outside Providence
Posts: 3,560
Local Time: 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy
People cant leave this site. I dont care what they say. And I'm willing to bet money that he wont leave unless he's banned. No one ever can.
That's a fairly pompous statement to make.
__________________

randhail is offline  
Old 08-01-2005, 10:16 AM   #22
Refugee
Note: Troll-like
 
Palace_Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Morning After. Ranking: Troll of Interference. Interference Hotness Level: 3rd. Sex: Yes please.
Posts: 2,098
Local Time: 05:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by HelloAngel


Anyone who works on this site has a right to be sore due to all the times we get unceremoniously kicked in the head on a daily basis due to various things and misunderstandings.

Harsh? No. Just expressing myself how I see fit. And no, I didn't put words in his mouth. My words around here don't really matter, and I certainly don't think they do more than anyone elses.
I beg to differ. I feel a great deal of weight is placed on your (and your peer's) words, as I have come to realise recently. I certainly feel that others could take a negative stance on blahblahblah by taking a lead from your disapproval.

Just as blahblahblah is free to leave or buy a membership if he doesn't like his status, you are equally so free to quit your moderator position if it causes you such hassle.
__________________

Palace_Hero is offline  
Old 08-01-2005, 10:17 AM   #23
Refugee
Note: Troll-like
 
Palace_Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Morning After. Ranking: Troll of Interference. Interference Hotness Level: 3rd. Sex: Yes please.
Posts: 2,098
Local Time: 05:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by randhail


That's a fairly pompous statement to make.
I'd replace "pompous" with "tounge in cheek" and you might be closer to the truth.
Palace_Hero is offline  
Old 08-01-2005, 10:20 AM   #24
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator
 
Sicy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 69,349
Local Time: 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by randhail
That's a fairly pompous statement to make.
I'm sorry, I've been here for almost 5 years, how bout you?

It's a pretty much a fact.
__________________
Sicy is offline  
Old 08-01-2005, 10:24 AM   #25
BAW
The Flower
 
BAW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: The OC....!!!!
Posts: 11,094
Local Time: 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by randhail


That's a fairly pompous statement to make.

It's not a pompous statement at all, its a true statement. In the 4 years I've been here, I can't even tell you how many people have started a thread exactly like this one, only to be back a few days or sometimes weeks later. Sometimes it only lasts a few hours. People who go to great lengths to get themselves banned usually end up begging to come back or sneak back in with an alter.
BAW is offline  
Old 08-01-2005, 10:32 AM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life
 
HelloAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: new york city
Posts: 14,534
Local Time: 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Palace_Hero


I beg to differ. I feel a great deal of weight is placed on your (and your peer's) words, as I have come to realise recently. I certainly feel that others could take a negative stance on blahblahblah by taking a lead from your disapproval.

Just as blahblahblah is free to leave or buy a membership if he doesn't like his status, you are equally so free to quit your moderator position if it causes you such hassle.
I apologize if I came across that way. I have nothing against blahblahblah as a person or forum member. However it is possible to disagree and/or dislike something someone says rather than disliking the person. I don't wish to invite ire towards blahblahblah at all. He has every right to express himself and his aggravations against the forum and site. He made some valid criticisms, and suggestions on how to improve paid memberships are always welcome.

I can't simply walk away from something I made a commitment to 4 years ago to the fans. Keeping the main site (not the forum) fresh along with the zine takes time and energy and love and I am glad to do it. I do however, have a right to comment when things are said that are not accurate or true that people choose to continue to believe.
HelloAngel is offline  
Old 08-01-2005, 10:37 AM   #27
Refugee
Note: Troll-like
 
Palace_Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Morning After. Ranking: Troll of Interference. Interference Hotness Level: 3rd. Sex: Yes please.
Posts: 2,098
Local Time: 05:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by HelloAngel


I apologize if I came across that way. I have nothing against blahblahblah as a person or forum member. However it is possible to disagree and/or dislike something someone says rather than disliking the person. I don't wish to invite ire towards blahblahblah at all. He has every right to express himself and his aggravations against the forum and site. He made some valid criticisms, and suggestions on how to improve paid memberships are always welcome.

I can't simply walk away from something I made a commitment to 4 years ago to the fans. Keeping the main site (not the forum) fresh along with the zine takes time and energy and love and I am glad to do it. I do however, have a right to comment when things are said that are not accurate or true that people choose to continue to believe.
All that you have just said I do understand and was aware of. I'm glad you said it to because to me it came across in your first post that you were blowing off steam and I think this post confirms that to me.

Don't think for a second I was trying to encourage you to leave, you're one mod in particular I have noticed that does a top job and is very professional. Interference is richer for it.
Palace_Hero is offline  
Old 08-01-2005, 01:14 PM   #28
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: The Great Beyond//
Posts: 8,637
Local Time: 10:42 PM
Unzips zipper and pisses on interference. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FREEEEEEDOM!!!!!!!!!
Mullen4Prez is offline  
Old 08-01-2005, 01:15 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy
People cant leave this site. I dont care what they say. And I'm willing to bet money that he wont leave unless he's banned. No one ever can.
It's true.

When I first came here I didn't expect to post much or to stay long -- 18 months and 4417 posts later, I'm still here.
indra is offline  
Old 08-01-2005, 01:18 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
doctorwho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: My TARDIS - currently located in Valparaiso, IN
Posts: 6,361
Local Time: 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy


I'm sorry, I've been here for almost 5 years, how bout you?

It's a pretty much a fact.
It's true, people do leave and return...

However, I have noticed that those returning are not the same as they once were (which can be a good thing). The goals of the returning person are not the same as the reasons he/she had for originally joining Interference, which was often a sense of community. Sadly, that is often lost once a person leaves.

That said, I applaud the mods/admins here. There was a time when I could not say this, but I now feel that Interference has become one of the best U2 fan sites, with mods who are supportive, courteous and helpful. It's little wonder, then, that some mods here are offended by the comments written by the original poster.
__________________
https://u2.interference.com/attachments/forums/signaturepics/sigpic11661_2.gifI always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific.
doctorwho is offline  
Old 08-01-2005, 01:25 PM   #31
pax
ONE
love, blood, life
 
pax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Ewen's new American home
Posts: 11,412
Local Time: 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho


The goals of the returning person are not the same as the reasons he/she had for originally joining Interference, which was often a sense of community. Sadly, that is often lost once a person leaves.

That's what makes me the saddest about this place these days, much as I still love it...it's that too many of the noobs don't want a community. They want someplace where they can participate in popularity contests, make fun of people they don't know without any repercussion, and basically draw attention to themselves. They have no interest in building community; they don't care about the feelings of longtime members; they are inconsiderate, disrespectful, and just plain annoying.

Now, is this anyone who joined after I did? No, of course not. New blood is wonderful, and lots of newer members still bring fun, positivity, and kindness to Interference. I like quite a few of the newer members. But the nice-people-to-jackasses ratio is getting uncomfortably low, I fear. It didn't used to be this way.

Every forum will always have people who just want to spoil things for others. But I'm afraid that too few people here care about being a community anymore.

And that's sad.
__________________
and you hunger for the time
time to heal, desire, time


Join Amnesty.
pax is offline  
Old 08-01-2005, 01:26 PM   #32
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Popmartijn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 32,821
Local Time: 11:42 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Infinitum98
what edge incident?
http://forum.interference.com/t99316.html
Popmartijn is online now  
Old 08-01-2005, 01:26 PM   #33
ONE
love, blood, life
 
indra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho


It's true, people do leave and return...

However, I have noticed that those returning are not the same as they once were (which can be a good thing). The goals of the returning person are not the same as the reasons he/she had for originally joining Interference, which was often a sense of community. Sadly, that is often lost once a person leaves.

Do you think people join for the sense of community, or do they get that once they are here? I didn't feel any great sense of community when I joined...more of a "wow! lot's of threads to post in and things to discuss here" feeling. The people I've gotten to know (a bit) and enjoy came later. Maybe I'm just odd.
indra is offline  
Old 08-01-2005, 01:29 PM   #34
pax
ONE
love, blood, life
 
pax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Ewen's new American home
Posts: 11,412
Local Time: 06:42 PM
One more thing that I didn't make clear in my original post...while the mods can try to encourage community-building to some extent, it's a hard job when the community doesn't necessarily respond. I don't wish to blame the mods for this; I blame members who are variously averse to community-building, judging from their posts.
__________________
and you hunger for the time
time to heal, desire, time


Join Amnesty.
pax is offline  
Old 08-01-2005, 01:31 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
popacrobat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: this house
Posts: 9,866
Local Time: 06:42 PM
hey as long as were bringing up 'fake edge',

at least he was right about electric co and zoo station coming back
popacrobat is offline  
Old 08-01-2005, 01:38 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
doctorwho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: My TARDIS - currently located in Valparaiso, IN
Posts: 6,361
Local Time: 02:42 PM
The sense of community doesn't have to come right away, but it's always great seeing fellow U2 fans respond to your words - knowing that you aren't alone in your views.

Unfortunately, there was a time that I felt the mods actually hurt this feeling of community. The mods sometimes hurt more than helped, which broke the sense of community.

But those events occurred years ago. I don't see this behavior from the mods at present in any capacity. Rather, I find all mods to be very responsive and receptive to suggestions. I feel that they are professional and courteous. It's because they are trying so hard that I feel some of them were hurt by this thread.

The community, of course, is what one makes of it... but those who leave usually do not return for that feeling of community any more. They (we) tend to return to gather information and tend to post on vastly different topics than they once did. At least these are my observations.
__________________
https://u2.interference.com/attachments/forums/signaturepics/sigpic11661_2.gifI always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific.
doctorwho is offline  
Old 08-01-2005, 01:57 PM   #37
Neon Zebra
 
beegee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: southern nevada
Posts: 10,609
Local Time: 02:42 PM
i happen to know (and miss) someone who did, indeed, leave. and while i know for a fact that this person still reads my journal, i know they will never post again.

of that i am sure.
beegee is offline  
Old 08-01-2005, 04:23 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
cass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Australia.
Posts: 6,117
Local Time: 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy


I'm sorry, I've been here for almost 5 years, how bout you?
It's a pretty much a fact.
I was trying to recall when I arrived I think it might have just been the anniversary? August 1st 2000?the horse's birthday. Now that really is 5 years
that may not be a fact, just a guess.

As beegee just said , I know and miss quite a few of the old regulars who lost faith in this place and moved elsewhere.I suppose that is why I am still here, lost in the corridors hoping they might return. But I doubt they will.

So I suppose I should be careful not to let that famous door hit me on the way out.
Take care blahblahblah, I'm sorry you have been made to feel that way.
Please if you feel differently at some later point, come ye back
Viva U2
cass is offline  
Old 08-01-2005, 04:35 PM   #39
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Zoomerang96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: canada
Posts: 13,462
Local Time: 05:42 PM
blahblah, i don't think many people know who you are, nor will you be missed.

you're point isn't taken.

you signed up AFTER all these fees came into place, you knew that going in. you have no reason to complain.

goodbye, and please don't come back.
Zoomerang96 is offline  
Old 08-01-2005, 04:54 PM   #40
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 12:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra


Do you think people join for the sense of community, or do they get that once they are here? I didn't feel any great sense of community when I joined...more of a "wow! lot's of threads to post in and things to discuss here" feeling. The people I've gotten to know (a bit) and enjoy came later. Maybe I'm just odd.
I agree completely. The more you post, the more you find people who share your opinions and make friends. This place is good fun. And $12 really isn't much. It's the price of an evening at the movies plus some popcorn. I don't understand why blahblahblah feels the way he does. Too bad, he was a pretty cool guy otherwise.

PS: And Sicy is right. This place does pull you in. I took a break from this site when I went on vacation. Couldn't wait to log back in when I got back. It's addictive!
__________________

Zoots is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×