I'm not sure about Pearl Jam...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Copy

The Fly
Apparently they are supposed to be a big thing, but listening to their Best Of CD, I have to say that I don't understand why they are being praised so much.

What is it that makes Pearl Jam such a hit among some people?

Why do some people like U2 while others loathe them.
Why do some like Eminem and others don't.
Why does anyone like K-Fed?

There is a reason they make chocolate and vanilla.

Hewson said:
Why does anyone like K-Fed?

Good question, does anyone openly say they like K-Fed?

I'd like to know this as well, I was a big fan in High School and really enjoyed Ten and Vs but after that my interest fell off.

I was in a used CD store the other day and they had a copy of their newest CD (the one with the avacado on the cover) and I wasn't really impressed when I listened to it.

I dunno, not my thing I guess.:shrug:

Last edited:
Copy said:
Apparently they are supposed to be a big thing, but listening to their Best Of CD, I have to say that I don't understand why they are being praised so much.

What is it that makes Pearl Jam such a hit among some people?

an incredible catalogue of songs, amazing technical musical ability, a great front man with an instantly recognizable voice, undeniable loyalty to their core fan base and one of the best live acts in the world.

other than that, not much.

but again... as hewson put it... there's a reason why they make chocolate and vanilla. different strokes for different folks.

Re: Re: I'm not sure about Pearl Jam...

Headache in a Suitcase said:

an incredible catalogue of songs, amazing technical musical ability, a great front man with an instantly recognizable voice, undeniable loyalty to their core fan base and one of the best live acts in the world.

but again... as hewson put it... there's a reason why they make chocolate and vanilla. different strokes for different folks.

Well put. :up:

Vedder's voice makes the band for me! :drool: :drool: :drool:

Re: Re: I'm not sure about Pearl Jam...

Headache in a Suitcase said:

:applaud: You said everything...

I really haven't liked anything they put out since Ten, other a good tune here and there. They do, however, put on great live shows, and they stay out of the music industry bullshit that most bands get sucked into. They'll always have my respect.

Does anyone here remember the Seattle Scene back in the early 90's? It featured bands like Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, this little band called Nirvana, Mudhoney, Pearl Jam and some others I've forgotten. Anyway, out of all of them, Pearl Jam is still rocking.

They're okay.

Some really good songs in their catalogue, but I'm not a giant fan of any of their CDs in particular.

Vedder's voice kind of gets on my nerves. :shrug:

i've only heard a couple of their songs and didn't like either of them. Seemed a bit dull to be honest and made me wonder what exactly the fuss is over them. However i won't judge them until i've heard a bit more from them. No point making bold statements about unfamiliar bands if you've only heard a couple of songs.

MrPryck2U said:
Agreed. Why post a thread that's designed to slag a group? Come up with a better thread.
Next.

why post in a thread that you don't like?

this poster isn't slagging a group, he's just kindly asking other posters what they think is good about pearl jam. that's fair in my book.

MrPryck2U said:
Does anyone here remember the Seattle Scene back in the early 90's? It featured bands like Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, this little band called Nirvana, Mudhoney, Pearl Jam and some others I've forgotten. Anyway, out of all of them, Pearl Jam is still rocking.

I guess you think Chris Cornell got hit by a bus or something, because he's still kicking ass.

and Matt Cameron is in Pearl Jam right now.

U2Man said:
this poster isn't slagging a group, he's just kindly asking other posters what they think is good about pearl jam. that's fair in my book.

same.

i don't get all the hype about radiohead myself. :uhoh:
some of their stuff i like very much. never really got past liking more than just a few tracks though.

Their live shows are awesome, really great.

The music, I've never been a huge fan of and personally find Eddie Vedder's voice to be whiny and irritating. But I've liked some of their albums quite a lot (Yield is excellent, for example).

Vedder's voice whiny? WTF?

To each his own, I guess...

Pearl Jam is an incredible band with so many breathtaking songs; they are equally good at making rockers and ballads, they are leaded by one of the greatest frontmans ever, they are amazing musicians, the best live act in the world, they have the most loyal fanbase I've ever seen and they show deep respect and care for their fans.

I like quite a few Pearl Jam songs, but they're the sort of band who don't really inspire me to investigate their back catalogue beyond the Best Of. Maybe because I find their music a bit, I don't know, meat-and-potatoes.

Eddie Vedder is a great frontman though and IMO has one of the best, coolest voices in rock. I've seen a few videos of their live performances and Eddie's sheer charisma and presence has always impressed me. I've always found PJ a bit frustrating in that the rest of the band and their music in general IMO doesn't quite match up their lead singer.

MrPryck2U said:
Yo Lemon, Cornell isn't in Soundgarden in anymore.
Matt has been a great addition to PJ.

I know, he's in Audioslave, but you know what I'm saying right?

MrPryck2U said:
Mm, the Seattle Four (except Mudhoney). I listen to them all. And yeah, you forgot a bunch; the more little-known. Green River, Mother Love Bone for example, and some girls bands (some from Olympia though) like Hole, L7, Bikini Kill etc.

Pearl Jam is my third favorite band, and the reason is because of Vedder's amazing voice, his well-written lyrics, Ament's bass, and of course Stone Gossard and Mike McCready's guitar riffs. They're awsome! PJ's lyrics are almost as good as U2's. And I *gasp* actually think that Eddie's voice is better than Bonos:ohmy:
But only a little:wink:

Zootlesque said:

Well, this thread is not about U2! Why do you keep posting annoying replies in all the threads? :scratch:

because he's an obnoxious alter? :shh:

Back
Top Bottom