I'm listening to Amnesiac right now for the first time....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.Clayton

Refugee
I just thought I'd share that with all of you. I bought it at Best Buy this afternoon. I don't really have an opinion of it yet, I'm only 3 minutes into it.
I'll be back when it's over.

I really didn't enjoy Amnesiac at first listen but after a few times through I really like the album.

------------------
Me3

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!

Wrong album to start with!

GO GET THE BENDS!!

I have The Bends and OK Computer....
I wanted another album...........
I don't know about this one though...........

Oh ok.

I admit Amnesiac isnt one of my favorite Radiohead albums. But you have to give it a couple listens before you disregard it!

you should ease yourself into this album by following these next 3 steps:
1. sing "Mary had a little lamb" while using wooden spoons to hit the beat
2. sing "Somewhere over the rainbow" with a mixer as only musical back-up
3. put on the Amnesiac album

it should all fall into place now

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Just give it time. Don't you remember listening to OK Computer the first time?? But I admit, Amnesiac is stranger and more...hmm...difficult.

------------------
Take the money and run

Yeah, both those albums took quite a lot of listening before I really got into them....so I won't give up all hope yet.
Thanks for your support!
(Should I have bought Kid A first?)

Originally posted by Don Vito Corleone:
Amnesiac is stranger and more...hmm...difficult.
ah, that should explain my problem then
I'm such a simple boy

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by Don Vito Corleone:
Just give it time. Don't you remember listening to OK Computer the first time?? But I admit, Amnesiac is stranger and more...hmm...difficult.

OK Computer took me approximately 2 listens to fall in love with.
biggrin.gif

yay, now I am getting a copy of Kid A from my local music-loving barista at the coffee joint. He likes U2 too, so we are swapping some stuff.

I am not yet brave enough to make the foray into Amnesiac (note the pun!). But once I get Kid A firmly under my belt, I plan to move to it.

hmmm. great album. listen to it a lot. i.e. whenever my g/f/f/w is not around...

------------------
~stadtmueller

Amnesiac is better than kid a

------------------
I'm not living
I'm just killing time

Ahh...it's the paradox of recording life.
Kid A was radioheads "indie" project - the anti-popculture album.

Critics love it...nominated for album of the year

Amnesiac - we see the return to videos and singles and large-scale promotion. Critics could do without it.

If Amnesiac and Kid a were combined, as they would be in the ideal world, the former would have diluted the success of the double album. They would have one semi-acclaimed album as opposed to a critically acclaimed masterpiece and a somewhat lesser appreciated record.

Whatever

Lets look onward.

------------------
I'm not living
I'm just killing time

I think its the other way around.
Amnesiac is to Kid A what vitamin D is to Calcium.(helps in absorption)

Boy, am I a loser

------------------
I'm not living
I'm just killing time

Interesting. I listened to Amnesiac four times (front to back) over the weekend. It's my favorite Radiohead album (and that's a hard thing to do, since they're all brilliant) and I think one of the best albums of the past 40 years (with Pyramid Song, Like Spinning Plates and Life in a Glass House some of the most amazing songs ever made). Social commentators talk about ATYCLB being the right (post-9/11) album for 2001. For me it was Amnesiac...its subtleties and scope of themes appealed to me immensely.

I think, as music, Amnesiac stands alone and you don't need to listen to Kid A or any other album to get you ready (but, please please please, listen to the album with headphones!). However, if you're a big fan of the band, and will probably remain so, it's always good to start at the first album (Pablo Honey) and go through the albums chronologically to understand the band's development.

Back
Top Bottom