if your name was to be 'jan'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would guess female, but that answer seems to obvious to have a thread started...

Is there something you'd like to share with us, kobe??? :scratch: :D

jan can be a male name can it?

i'm applying for a super-cool job with foreign affairs and international trade. i don't want the cover letter to start with the wrong sex!:lol:

if jan isn't a normal male name than i guess i've no reason to be concerned. i could swear i've met males named 'jan' though.

I come across this situation at work all the time.. not knowing if the person is male or female so I just leave off the "Mr." or "Mrs."

:slant:

The first guy I thought of who's name is Jan, is the actor Jan Michael Vincent. So to answer the question, yes Jan can be a man's name, although I belive it is most commonly a womans' name.

stringfellow_hawke.jpg

Last edited:
If it is a man's name then it should be pronounced "Yon" if they are pronouncing it the way it is spelled it is only the americanized version.

maybe you should ask the pail man. maybe the pail man's name is jan.

kobe is going to be the next 007.

Jan Michel Gambill (tennis player)

I think it's pronounced 'Yahn"

He's a guy (and a good-looking one at that).

I have "Jan" in my name....I'm a female. Do I count?

KhanadaRhodes said:

:yes:

didn't the dude who wrote the miami vice theme song have the name jan? like jan hammer or something? :huh:
definately

Jan is a very common name for guys in dutch and german speaking countries

kobayashi said:
jan can be a male name can it?

i'm applying for a super-cool job with foreign affairs and international trade. i don't want the cover letter to start with the wrong sex!:lol:

if jan isn't a normal male name than i guess i've no reason to be concerned. i could swear i've met males named 'jan' though.

Kobayashi, if the person you are addressing your letter to is foreign then I'm 90% sure that person is male. As Salome said, in Dutch and German speaking countries Jan is a very common name (as the foreign equivalent of John). However, if the person is not Dutch/German, then you have to check it out before.

C ya!

Marty

Back
Top Bottom