Idlewild Warnings/Promises

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Apparently it was delayed in the US:

http://www.idlewild.co.uk/idlewild.html

*Update* USA/Canada release date is now 6th September.
The album will see an early release to all Digital Service Providers on 23rd August.

Also, I never saw this allmusic review until today. I'm impressed by the rating (4.5/5 stars):

Review by John D. Luerssen
As Scotland's finest export, one would think that Idlewild would get the same kind of treatment bestowed to lesser talents like Coldplay, Snow Patrol and Keane. Troubling then, that the band's U.S. devotees have been left with no choice but to buy the band's last few records on import when faced with the promise of a six-month Stateside release delay. That complaint aside, Idlewild's fourth studio album Warnings/Promises is superb. As consistently good as the outfit's 2001 breakthrough 100 Broken Windows and 2003's more mature-feeling follow-up Remote Part, the band feels even more adventurous this time out. Expanding their reach, Roddy Woomble and Company ditch nearly all of their punk leanings (save for the hard-charging "I Want a Warning") but still retain their edge as the unique pulse of "The Space Between All Things" exhibits. Set in motion by a stadium-ready anthem "Love Steals Us From Loneliness," Woomble sings it superbly and finds himself accompanied by a wall of swooning guitars. But beneath what's expected — like the warm near-ballad "Welcome Home," which clearly deserves the airwaves — it is musical magic like "El Capitan," with its gorgeous, piano-steered melody and memorable hook that captures hearts while unveiling Idlewild's credo. As Woomble encourages us to "Stand up and stand out" amid the song's glorious refrain, his band has already done it, not just on these eleven tunes (twelve if you count the hidden, unlisted track) but in almost everything they've done since they rose to prominence. Doing things their way may have kept them out of the limelight until now, but it's only a matter of time. To steal a line from the liner notes of Remote Part — support your local poet. Get this album by any means necessary.

I agree with the frustration at having to import their albums considering they're vastly better than many of the UK bands who get exposure here.

I bought it back in April, loaned it to someone, can't remember who, and now have to buy it again...ah, well...it's worth it. :)

Love that review. It's not my favorite album of theirs, but it's wonderful.

Just saw them Sat and Sun night - AMAZING. I love them. Which I knew, but...definitely reaffirmed. :) they were soooo good live - I'd only seen them at glasto, not a club setting. :heart: Roddy :heart: Rod cracked me up with all his jumping around too.

I was thinking of you this weekend Jenn.

I know they played Phila. on Friday...I was in Phila. on Saturday and Sunday.

They played a "Friday Lunch" radio show at the World Theater...I completely forgot that it was going to be on and missed it.

Yay! :) It was a fabulously idlewildy weekend. Sorry you missed the radio thing. :( I need to see if they are doing any others.

Back
Top Bottom