Idlewild Warnings/Promises

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I preordered it a few days back too. Amazon better pull through quickly on it. :up:

I will be popping along to my local record shop and buying it. Then taking it with me to work and subjecting co-workers and customers to it.:wink:

Was at the acoustic set in Fopp(record store), glasgow, the other week, I liked what I heard of the new stuff, El Capitan acoustic was:drool:

I love the new Idlewild :heart:

Tickets for their gig went on sale here last week, they are really cheap as far as concert tickets go, I'd love to go see them but I need someone to go with.

DiGi said:
my amazon.uk order shipped the other day. i can't wait to listen to this...

Mine still hasnt shipped yet from normal Amazon (got it as an import)....

How long do the UK orders take to arrive? How much was shipping? Maybe I should cancel this one and order from the UK site. Not sure what to do, I want to hear that CD right now!!!!! :mad:

u2popmofo said:

Mine still hasnt shipped yet from normal Amazon (got it as an import)....

How long do the UK orders take to arrive? How much was shipping? Maybe I should cancel this one and order from the UK site. Not sure what to do, I want to hear that CD right now!!!!! :mad:

I would cancel the amazon order and order from the UK. reasons.
Import price from .com - $23.99
converted US dollars price from .co.uk - $20.00 with shipping.

You'll have it in less than a week.

Digi, thanks for the advice. I cancelled my order and switched it to Amazon UK. I also added their first release, 'Captain' to the order for virtually the same price I was going to spend for only Warnings/Promises from the US site. :up:

Hopefully it all ships soon, I'm not even going to be here next week when it arrives. :mad:

yeah I did the same thing popmofo - i cancelled from regular amazon and ordered via amazon UK and within about a day or so I got an e-mail saying mine had been shipped. Man this album is so good.... I sneaked.... more than several listens to the entire album already via internet...... it's awesome.

saw this in HMV today when I was out shopping for my girlfriend's birthday

will buy when i have the money

actually, i've got to buy the other freakin' idlewild albums too

damn

yertle-the-turtle said:
saw this in HMV today when I was out shopping for my girlfriend's birthday

will buy when i have the money

actually, i've got to buy the other freakin' idlewild albums too

damn

actually it's darkness.......errr i mean.... :confused:

Great article review of the new album I found:

Idlewild - Warnings/Promises
By Laila Hassani

The imminent return of Idlewild is a welcome one. With Keane, Maroon 5, Bloc Party, Doves and, soon, Coldplay, inevitably boring us at every turn with dull, washed-out indie, we need something.

An injection of invention. A hint of excitement. Melodies to swoon over. Lyrics with more depth than your average Jet song. Non-drippy alt rock with some thought put into it.

Their fourth full-length is first to feature 'new' guitarist Allan Stewart and bassist Gavin Fox (from Dublin rockers Turn), collaborating on writing duties with the other three members.

With singer Roddy Woomble living in New York's East Village and the others scattered across the UK and Eire, the band decamped to the States and set up home in LA to record with Tony Hoffer (Beck, Phoenix, Air).

Whether all this, or simply age, has had an effect on the band and their songs, who knows.

All that can be said is that in the 10 years since their formation, Idlewild have gone from being four young men in an unpredictable, uncontrollable whirlwind of chaotic art-rock, to a mature (don't freak out) quintet who pen songs of ingenious proportions.

The cringeworthy title of new single 'Love Steals Us From Loneliness' aside, it's the perfect start to 'Warning / Promises'.

Beautiful harmonising and a chorus laced with dry lyrics, it firms up Idlewild's place as the UK's very own REM.

A band who, despite their size up until recent years, were always miles ahead of their peers in the creativity stakes. And that is where Idlewild stand today in the UK scene.

As the latest Doves album bores us all to tears with more Manc miserablism (tell that to Berry, Miss Hassani – Ed) and bands like The Others focus on style and scene over content and music, Idlewild are a breath of fresh air. None of those bands would ever have the capability of writing a song like 'El Capitan' and 'Disconnected', themes of being in transition and love.

There's no doubting this band have softened over the years, but there's still a trace of their rock-heavy roots in the angular sounds of 'I Want A Warning'. It might not quite be 'A Modern Way Of Letting Go' or 'Film For The Future', but it's still a welcome addition to a collection of mellow songs and slots in alongside 'I Understand It' and the rest of this album snugly.

Naysayers can write them off as a student band all they want, but Idlewild have grown up beyond that. They're upping the ante, taking things further, and bringing some Morrissey-style contemplation and intelligence back to music. For that, they should be thanked and adored.

Thanks for the review :up: That guy really seems to not like Doves. :shrug:

My Idlewild CDs shipped from Amazon UK this morning, I'm very excited. :up:

u2popmofo said:
Thanks for the review :up: That guy really seems to not like Doves. :shrug:

My Idlewild CDs shipped from Amazon UK this morning, I'm very excited. :up:

I like Doves but I thought their most recent album was a bit weak compared to their other albums.

Why do people keep comparing Doves to bloody KEANE????

Anyway, as much as I love Idlewild, I prefered them when they were an "unpredictable, uncontrollable whirlwind of chaotic art-rock" rather than the more mellow band they are now. :slant:

DiGi said:
my copy has arrived today.

That was fast!! For some reason they were telling me it would take nearly 2 weeks! Hopefully that's just a broad estimate.....I need the album NOW!!!! I still have heard nothing other than 'Love Steals Us From Loneliness' (which I love and worship).

DiGi said:
El Capitan - This song is freakin awesome!! - I can't imagine how good that would be to hear live.

I've said it before, but acoustic this was so very gorgeous. Definately one of my fave tracks. Anyone else like "Hold on to your breath" (b-side on love steals....)? Idlewild have the best b-sides.

smooshcat said:

I've said it before, but acoustic this was so very gorgeous. Definately one of my fave tracks. Anyone else like "Hold on to your breath" (b-side on love steals....)? Idlewild have the best b-sides.

I would agree that their B-sides are great. Do you know where Hold on to your breath can be found?

Ok, I'd be interested on hearing other people's opinions on this album. There's a LOT of negative feeling towards this record on the idlewild boards, as some fans just want another "hope is important". Which is fair enough, I suppose, but I'd be more pissed off if they kept churning out albums of the same stuff.

I had my far and away best experience with this album tonight. I hadnt commented on it up until this point because for some reason I just didnt like it. I have a feeling my own desires for what kind of music they'd be doing on this album greatly affected my impressions. I had hoped it would be an album along the lines of the first single, 'Love Steals Us From Loneliness'. Obviously, it was not. A good portion of the songs are on the "soft" side of things for an Idlewild album.

I think that giving myself a little break from the CD (I probably hadnt listened to since March) and knowing what to expect this time around really helped me appreciate it for what it is. That being said, I still like all the rocking songs considerably more than the poppy/mainstreamish/softer ones. Over all though, it's far better than I first thought it was. Good album :up:

'Too Long Awake' has been a major fav., very 'shoegazey'. I'm certainly into that kind of thing lately :up:

I'm very jealous, what all did they play? Lots of the new stuff? Good amount of the material from former albums? Do describe the show. DO.

Back
Top Bottom