'I will eat your soul": Scary music videos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kieran McConville

ONE love, blood, life
Most music videos are, well, 'blah'. But one that frankly scared the crap out of me one night long ago still stands out.

I'm not sure who did the track (might have been Aphex Twin, but I'm just guessing). Anyway, the video takes place in this old run-down city housing estate. An elderly lady is walking her dog through this rubble. As the video progresses, we see a bunch of schoolgirls creeping up on her. Trouble is, they all appear to have the face of a 30-something man. Little evilly grinning school girls with man-faces. At this point, I'm climbing up the walls. The schoolgirls appear to be entranced by a television lying amidst the rubble, inside the screen of which an identical evil face appears to be roaring out loud, straining to break free. I think at the end, it does...

Yep. that's Aphex Twin all right. Come To Daddy is the name of the song.

I first saw that video at 4 in the morning. I couldn't sleep so I thought I'd turn on MTV just to see if they were actually showing music viddies for a change. Well, needless to say after I saw the Come To Daddy video, I couldn't sleep til the sun rose. That video is truly one of the creepiest thing's I've ever seen. Thing is, I actually like the video because it's filmed well, and it hangs with you for a long time after you see it. I like Aphex Twin, but the song Come To Daddy I think is, well, crap.

Other creepy nominations go to Aphex Twin's Windowlicker video. Again, though I don't find it as creepy as Come To Daddy, but I felt like a.) I was on a really bad acid trip and b.) somewhat molested (you'd have to see the video to understand) after watching it.

Originally posted by adam's_mistress:
Yep. that's Aphex Twin all right. Come To Daddy is the name of the song.

I first saw that video at 4 in the morning. I couldn't sleep so I thought I'd turn on MTV just to see if they were actually showing music viddies for a change. Well, needless to say after I saw the Come To Daddy video, I couldn't sleep til the sun rose. That video is truly one of the creepiest thing's I've ever seen. Thing is, I actually like the video because it's filmed well, and it hangs with you for a long time after you see it. I like Aphex Twin, but the song Come To Daddy I think is, well, crap.

Other creepy nominations go to Aphex Twin's Windowlicker video. Again, though I don't find it as creepy as Come To Daddy, but I felt like a.) I was on a really bad acid trip and b.) somewhat molested (you'd have to see the video to understand) after watching it.

Yes, 'Come to Daddy', thank you. Yeah, the song's a bit ordinary, but you're sure right about it not being a video to watch before sleep.

The funny part is that most videos that would seem to be intended as scary/disturbing, just make me laugh.

Though for slightly disturbing, an honourable mention would go to the Lemon video, where Macphisto is tottering around with his face in the shadows, like he's trying to hold himself together. That desolate smile speaks volumes.

Radiohead's video for 'Just.'

My brother has already been scared by the Japanese stewardess in Catherine Wheel's video for 'Waydown.' Talk about obscure.

------------------
"You gotta love living, baby, 'cause dyin's a pain in the ass."-- Frank Sinatra

Adam: Look guys, I got a Springfield spoon for my spoon collection.
Edge: Oh boy, here we go...
Bono: Wow, how many is that now Adam?
Adam: Nine. If I didn't have my spoons, I'd go insane.
Bono: Can I see it?
*adam gives bono the spoon, bono throws it away*
Adam: My spoon!

Originally posted by Angela Harlem:
TOOL's latest are creepily disturbing.

Are those guys talented or what? They make their own FX.

What, with the little pla-do man and all? Seriously their stuff is pretty impressive.

------------------
"I was in need of help
Heading to black out
'Til someone told me 'run on in honey
Before somebody blows your goddam' brains out'
You shop-lifted as a child
I had a model's smile
You carried all my hopes
Until something broke inside..."

What about the latest video by Basement Jaxx where the scientists are doing experiments to combine monkeys with humans. The creatures have the face of a human and the body of a monkey. The scientists have taught the monkey/humans to play electronic music but then the creatures get angry and start destroying things and come after the scientists to seek revenge. Then when the guy from the waiting room realizes what he is in for he tries to escape but they chase after him with a part dog part human who sings the last verses of the song to him. That video is trippy! It creeps me out but i like it too.

------------------
Remember the goul.

Shake n' bake
Do whatever it takes

Kieran, you gotta admit, its pretty weird stuff! I find it kinda macabre
biggrin.gif

Calluna, I've had that song 'where's your head at' in my head ALL day!
*is ready to morph into half monkey and turn again basement jaxx

biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Calluna:

What about the latest video by Basement Jaxx where the scientists are doing experiments to combine monkeys with humans. The creatures have the face of a human and the body of a monkey. The scientists have taught the monkey/humans to play electronic music but then the creatures get angry and start destroying things and come after the scientists to seek revenge. Then when the guy from the waiting room realizes what he is in for he tries to escape but they chase after him with a part dog part human who sings the last verses of the song to him. That video is trippy! It creeps me out but i like it too.

Thank you for pointing that video out! That is just mindbending. Love the scientist with his little dog on a leash, with its own little snarling face.

I'll admit I found it very very funny, rather than frightening, but my God is it freaky!

Originally posted by Angela Harlem:
Kieran, you gotta admit, its pretty weird stuff! I find it kinda macabre
biggrin.gif

Calluna, I've had that song 'where's your head at' in my head ALL day!
*is ready to morph into half monkey and turn again basement jaxx

biggrin.gif

Like I said, it's pretty impressive, that Tool video. And yes, weird.

------------------
"I was in need of help
Heading to black out
'Til someone told me 'run on in honey
Before somebody blows your goddam' brains out'
You shop-lifted as a child
I had a model's smile
You carried all my hopes
Until something broke inside..."

I haven't seen the "Come to Daddy" video, but just your description made me think "yep.. Aphex Twin" I saw their "Windowlicker" video--it was truly something else.

I love Tool's Schism video, it's extremely unique

Nick Cave's "Do You Love Me" video is pretty spooky. Nothing really happens much, I just find it really eerie and unsettling.

And this probably doesn't count, but I just have to mention Alan Parker's "The Wall", which had some most disturbing and creepy animation sequences. I've always found the "marching hammers" segment especially scary.

Originally posted by Saracene:
Nick Cave's "Do You Love Me" video is pretty spooky. Nothing really happens much, I just find it really eerie and unsettling.

And this probably doesn't count, but I just have to mention Alan Parker's "The Wall", which had some most disturbing and creepy animation sequences. I've always found the "marching hammers" segment especially scary.

Another slightly out of kilter Nick Cave video is for that new song called (I think) Oh My Lord. You know, the one with all the people dancing to themselves in some sort of holy-roller revival hall, with the flickering half-light. That's a damn fine song also.

Back
Top Bottom