I need networking help again....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
...Some of you may remember when I needed help setting up my parents' DSL and the suggestions of those here helped me solve the problem. I am a computer tech, but don't really do any networking/internet stuff and now I have a problem of my own....

We have SBC DSL with a SpeedStream 5100 modem, Linksys 4-port router, and then an 8-port hub upstairs. On Thursday, our internet just stopped working. This has happened before, so like usual we cycle power to the modem and router. Still nothing. All of the lights on the modem are a solid green (good), except the "Activity" light is blank, or quickly flashes green every few minutes or so. The router was setup when I moved in and I don't even know the password for it so it's not like I changed the config of the router. I thought, screw the router, so I setup my laptop straight into the modem like it should be and got the same result. No "Activity". The computer says "limited or no connectivity" and will not repair the IP address. ipconfig /all shows a bunch of random garbage for the IP and other addresses (like, the IP address has letters too...looks more like a MAC address...I dunno).

So, using a dial-up login I have through PeoplePC, I did an online support chat and the tech said "our DSL line tested perfect". Then I call the support line this morning, but they won't help me b/c I don't have the sbcglobal.net username and password. I moved in after this was setup, so the girl before me knows that and she's long gone. They won't change it for me even though the account is now billed to me and I can't figure out the username b/c I get an online bill, not the printed one w/ the info.

Basically, I'm stuck and need advice. My opinion is that we're either not getting service for some reason, or our phone line is damaged. I've gone through all of their support articles online, but those are all so dumb, like "turn the modem off and on" or "make sure the cable is plugged in". It's my understanding that the modem itself does not need to be manually configured like the router, but maybe I'm wrong?

If your DSL light is solid, then you have sync so it's probably not the line. Are you running a 5100a or 5100b modem? If you are running a 5100a then the username and password are in the router and if you are connecting your PC directly to the modem, you need to set up a PPPoE connection to SBC using Windows XP's client software, or if you don't have XP you need to install the SBC Yahoo! software.

If you have a 5100b modem, it has the login information inside the modem itself, and you should be able to connect with it no problem. If you are not using Windows XP, you may need to reboot your PC after connecting it to acquire a proper IP address. Make sure your TCP/IP properties are set so the IP is DHCP and not static. Let me know if none of this helps, and I can come up with some other suggestions/ideas.

Is there acitivity showing on the modem? ie. Data Send/Receive lights? Usually the service provider can ping the modem to see if data is being transmitted.

Also, is your home network still working? As in...can you still see the other computers on the network? You said the port lights are all still solid/blinking green so it sounds like the router is still working correctly.

Can you determine an ip for one of the computers? If it's something like 169.xxx.xxx.xxx than it's not obtaining an ip address. If it's 192.xxx.xxx.xxx than the router is still working correctly.

It really sounds like a problem with the modem seeing as it's the entire network. Silly question...but you are SURE it's the entire network correct? There are many causes for a single computer losing network connectivity such as spyware that damages winsock protocols, but nothing I'm aware of that effects routers/hubs.

Respond letting me know if the lights on the modem are flashing and whether or not you're still able to see other computers on the network.

Also....you did actually try unplugging the modem for about a minute right? Sometimes (rarely, but sometimes) the ip lease will expire and the modem will not renew the ip address correctly. Unplugging will clear the cache and re-send the request to the DHCP server

Some answers to the questions...

- I'm not sure which model of 5100 it is. I'm at work so I'll check when I get home

- I'm assuming for the PPPoE I'll have to resolve this issue of not knowing the sbcglobal.net password and username?

- No one has internet connection. Three people are home right now and no one has been able to get on since Thursday.

- the IP I get is not 192 or 169....it's a bunch of random numbers and letters, total garbage.

- the router lights still show others trying to connect, so I think the router is fine besides the fact that no data is going through

Techie, I talked to a guy I work w/ and he seems to think the problem is either with my modem or SBC. He said something about maybe calling them and verifying the MAC address on my modem. I took a bunch of screen shots for you (some of the router config pages, ipconfig, my Network Connections window, and a pic of the router and modem). I'll upload them as soon as I have the chance....

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Techie, I talked to a guy I work w/ and he seems to think the problem is either with my modem or SBC. He said something about maybe calling them and verifying the MAC address on my modem. I took a bunch of screen shots for you (some of the router config pages, ipconfig, my Network Connections window, and a pic of the router and modem). I'll upload them as soon as I have the chance....
MAC address shouldn't be an issue, SBC doesn't do MAC address verification. It is possible the modem itself is shot though. Anyways you can either post the link to the pics here or e-mail me [email addy removed at member's request - neutral] if you'd prefer that and I'll take a look.

Hey Techie, I fixed it :D But I'm sure you would have been able to fix it!

I did another online support chat since the guy on the phone was barely understandable and kept repeating himself and I don't think he was getting why I did not know the username or password. I threatened to switch to Comcast and the online guy used my billing address to verify my identity and then gave up the username and let me pick a new password. I called my roommate and had her reconfigure the network and cycle power to the modem once more and then it started working again. I'm not really sure what happened. I guess the router got reset somewhere, but that doesn't explain why the modem had quit. Oh well, it's better now.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Hey Techie, I fixed it :D But I'm sure you would have been able to fix it!

I did another online support chat since the guy on the phone was barely understandable and kept repeating himself and I don't think he was getting why I did not know the username or password. I threatened to switch to Comcast and the online guy used my billing address to verify my identity and then gave up the username and let me pick a new password. I called my roommate and had her reconfigure the network and cycle power to the modem once more and then it started working again. I'm not really sure what happened. I guess the router got reset somewhere, but that doesn't explain why the modem had quit. Oh well, it's better now.
Ah, sounds good. Sometimes you really need to beat those tech support people with a stick until they comply...lol

Techie2000 said:
Ah, sounds good. Sometimes you really need to beat those tech support people with a stick until they comply...lol

Yes...or just go COMCASTCOMCASTCOMCAST lalala COMCAST

I was going to switch the phone and DSL to TDS b/c you get a free iPod shuffle, but they only offer a 24month service agreement and being a college student with an unpredictable future, I can sign off on anything longer than my 12month lease period. :(

Back
Top Bottom