I need a new car --- What should I get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Utoo

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
So now that Mrs. Utoo and I have a baby, we need a second car. What to get? We have a 2006 Prius and I love it and am more than happy to get a second one, though Mrs. Utoo thinks we need a little more space considering that we're planning on adding more babies to the pile later on (we were filled to the brim with bags and presents on the drive to my parents' for Christmas, and that's just with one!). I'm vehemently against minivans, etc. (come on, I'm a guy), and am at a loss for what else to get.

Thoughts? What do you have? Do you love it or hate it?

Maserati, beautiful vehicle :drool:

Get a nice 7 seater car that isnt a mini-van.
We drive a Zafira, very roomy :yes:

I have a Pontiac Grand Prix. It's roomy without being too big, and it gets pretty good gas mileage, usually between 20 and 25 MPG. It's the third Grand Prix I've had, and my parents have one as well. Obviously, we think it's a great car. :D

Acura. If you want a 5-seater car, go for the TL (or RL if you can afford it). If not, their MDX SUVs are great and you can get the smaller version (RDX) which will probably do for now.

The_Homer_by_Carlos_Bisquertt.jpg

If you're looking to stay green, this is a pretty good web site to look at http://www.greenercars.org/highlights.htm

As a sidenote, I grew up in a family of 4 + dog. My parents didn't get an SUV until my brother went to college (they rented one to help me on my first move to college and found it convenient). My family were Honda and Toyota loyalists. Each of our cars have lasted us for a long time and have been very reliable through the years. Even with frequent travels to Indiana, we did just great in our sedans.

Good luck and let us know what you get!

We have a Honda Odyssey before it became a real "van" in '99. It's like an elevated station wagon of sorts. Seats fold down for more room, etc. I guess it all depends on your budget...

Diemen said:
Utoo, what's your budget?

Well, we've only just started to think about it, so we haven't decided if we want to go with new, used, or a lease. I've never leased before and can't say I'm a terribly huge fan. Ideally, used would make sense as it'd be cheaper. However, it seems like for anything I've looked at, I have to spend at least $12-15K for a used car if I want under 75K miles. At that point, I feel like I may as well drop a few grand more and get something new. If we went for new, I'd like it to be $20K or under. I know that limits a lot, but I really feel like the Prius is the only thing worth more than that (no one else touches the mileage, the packages offer a ton of features, and I don't really feel like a little more space is worth $8-10K more), it's just not quite big enough for us to get a second one.

Jeep Cherokee.

All the space of a minivan but still hip enough not to freak out new parents who fear minivans. Mark my words though, have enough kids and you will soon discover that you LOVE minivans.

RedrocksU2 said:
Toyota Camry.
Period.

Word. Everyone in my family drives one, we've got four (incidently they're all from different generations) one goes as far back as the early 90's, all reliable, never a single major problem.

Camry's aren't bigger than the Prius, I don't believe. If he needs the room, I wouldn't go that route. But that's just me. And we have an old Camry from the 80s. Not gonna fit more than 4 people in it really, maybe 5.

Either another hybrid or 4-cylinder with good mileage. Factor in the possibility of $4 or 5 a gallon gasoline.

Bonochick said:
I have a Pontiac Grand Prix. It's roomy without being too big, and it gets pretty good gas mileage, usually between 20 and 25 MPG. It's the third Grand Prix I've had, and my parents have one as well. Obviously, we think it's a great car. :D

That's what I have, and I'm thinking of trading it in. I get 25-ish mpg highway, but for city driving, the gas consumption is atrocious. Seems like every two days, I'm putting $20 or so into the tank.

VintagePunk said:

That's what I have, and I'm thinking of trading it in. I get 25-ish mpg highway, but for city driving, the gas consumption is atrocious. Seems like every two days, I'm putting $20 or so into the tank.

Wow, that's surprising. I do a lot of my driving through town (takes me about 20 minutes each way to work, and I run errands on Saturdays), and I still get good mileage. Every time I've done the math, I've never been below 20 MPG.

europop2005 said:
Toyota Yaris

great milelage
fun easygoing car

He's trying to fit a family in there not a Yorkshire terrier...

I would recommend the following;

A Toyota, Camry if possible.
A used one; save lots of money and still get a good car with about a couple of thousand miles. Ask the dealer for one that is last year's model.
Do not buy a new one. Car is the biggest investment that will not give you any equity, on the contrary, it devalues as soon as you sign on that paper.
Also, do not lease.
IMO, the hybrids are not worth getting, you spend thousands more to save on gas???????:|

Back
Top Bottom