I just got a speeding ticket.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i mean, the speed limit was 70 m.p.h.

there was a construction zone ahead but the barrels were on the side of the road and the "reduced speed" and "speed limit 60 m.p.h." signs were tipped over half way or facing the median.

i jacked it up to about 85 m.p.h. when i got on the freeway because i was going to get into an accident if i didn't. you all know about merging onto freeways, it gets crazy sometimes. it's all chance.

i let off the gas and coasted down to about 75 or so, maybe 77-78. i was going with the flow of traffic and was even getting passed on the right. i was in the left-hand lane. the cop is behind the guy that passes me on the right (who is probably going about 10 m.p.h. faster than i am) and decides to pull me over instead. since i am NOW in the construction zone, he writes me up for going 90 in the NOW 60 m.p.h. construction zone (fine is doubled) and procedes to lecture me on how the construction zone was "clearly marked" and "didn't you see the two signs back there?"

I saw the signs. they were tipped over or looked irrelevent. it was easter sunday night. there was no construction going on. all of traffic was going anywhere from 65 to 75 m.p.h. except for the hot-rodding ass in the lexus that passed me on the right.

i can understand writing me up for going say 90 in the 70, NO CONSTRUCTION ZONE, but because he pulled me over IN the construction zone, he wrote that down as well. BS.

i'm livid. this is all giving me indigestion.

have any of you ever had beefs with the law over something like this? I'd call it a traffic-sting/abuse of power/exaggeration of fault here. i can't wait to appeal it. i'll even bring my bank account that says i have a grand total of $39.57 in it.

sigh.

You should be glad you don't have double demerits on long weekends. it kills me when people complain about the police and how they hide, and then on weekends like this, double the fine and double the points you lose off your licence. I thinks its so simple to just not speed.

I say that now, but if I ever lost points or got a fine, I'd be pissed. Why did he write the speed as 90 though? Does the construction zone mean he doubles what you were over? Or where you actually doing 90 at the time he pulled you over?

the fine doubles. the more money he writes the ticket for, the better it looks. i admit i was going almost that fast, but not in the construction zone (which is where the money is doubled)

i looked it up online, it's a $276.00 ticket.

:rant:

i hate speeding tickets, esp to the "undeserved"
he shoulda gone after the dude passing you!

:mad: i feel for ya, man

It's how states are closing their budget gaps. Expect them to be greater assholes than usual.

My favorite here in Mass. is the anal street cleaning. Not that the streets really look that clean afterwards, but they'll get a fleet of tow trucks to get those people who didn't move their vehicles during the marked hours on the marked day of the week. It's more effort than its worth, but boy do they enjoy the revenue...

Melon

melon said:

My favorite here in Mass. is the anal street cleaning. Not that the streets really look that clean afterwards, but they'll get a fleet of tow trucks to get those people who didn't move their vehicles during the marked hours on the marked day of the week. It's more effort than its worth, but boy do they enjoy the revenue...

It may be a stupid suggestion, but how about they save the money they pay people to drive tow trucks round and pick up cars, and put that towards closing their budget gap?

Because the state doesn't pay the towing expenses; the owner does. Not to mention the ticket that accompanies it.

Melon

:down:

people in michigan pass on the right...and somehow it still "looks worse" when you're coasting at 10 over in the left lane...

luckily i've never been caught...:angel:

I've actually been pulled over twice for speeding...but bless those Michigan cops who took pity on me and just gave me warnings...:heart:

melon said:
It's how states are closing their budget gaps. Expect them to be greater assholes than usual.

Melon

they don't clean the streets where i live..you clearly don't live in the same part of the state as me

i've found that on freeways at least, the cops that will give you the ticket are the local ones with only a couple miles of freeway to patrol. it's their moneymaker.

the state cops are the ones liable to give you a break or the sherrif's too. i got a huge break from the cook county (ill) sherrifs when i was heading back from zwan.

i had to go to court yesterday so i wouldn't get any points for a speeding ticket. when did i get this ticket? this one sunday, the weekend my husband and i went downtown to celebrate our first anniversary! :mad:

i remember that day, i was going to ask him to drive, but i know he hates driving anywhere else but this one little strip of road. :laugh: then, i was going to go on the freeway, but it was the wrong direction and i was too lazy to take another exit so i could turn around and go northbound. finally, like less than a quarter mile of where the cop was, there was a pier 1. i was going to suggest we go there to look around, but i was afraid someone would break into my car (what with our luggage and stuff).

had i followed any of my instincts, for the first one, my husband doesn't speed. he wouldn't have been pulled over. for the second, we would've avoided that area altogether, obviously. for the third, i wouldn't have been able to get up to speed in enough time when i would've driven past him, let alone speeding.

but luckily, i was going like 15 over, he only wrote me down as going 5 (!!!!) over. so although you can tell he was just trying to make quota (he was a motorcycle cop with his bike behind the tree up on a hill, and he was in the sidewalk radaring people), at least he was nice about it.

he told me if i went to court and plead guilty, i wouldn't get any points. thank god. my accident from three years ago is going to go off my record (i don't know if it'll be totally off or not) and my insurance will go down again. it just went down recently because i turned 19. i really didn't want it jumping back up with that ticket. i don't even know if you get points for going 5 over, but i didn't want to find out. $61 court costs is probably a lot less than the ticket would've been.

The last time I got a ticket i had to pay $130 bucks and plus you get points that stay on your record for 3 years. If you get a total 9 points you lose your license for a year. So the last time I got a ticket was back in 1986.

Back
Top Bottom