I Honestly Think Vancouver Has A Shot At The Stanley Cup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ummm, no.

forget that, im not giving detroit anything until the canucks get out.

what i really hate though, is how cloutier is getting all this negative attention. thats HORRIBLE for confidence.

i was his biggest critic but he won me over. one frickin goal means nothing to me or to that team. its the media whos gonna have a hey-day over it, and i hope they pay no attention, cause if they do it could really hurt.

oh well, the canucks played with them, for once they got bad breaks whatever.

once naslund and morisson can click with bert and linden everythings gonna be fine. our goalie is the man.

btw, did any of you see the hockey night in canada telecast of it? was that powerful at the beginning or what? a looped intro of where the streets... being played over and over again as the players came out... wow, thats intense.

cant wait for tuesday.

------------------
-deathbear

Well, the Wings won the most important game of the series -- game 3. If the Canucks had won, they would have been up 3-0. I thought the Canucks saved their best for the 3rd period, and that's what cost them the game. Dan Cloutier stood on his head for most of the game, and I agree: I do hope that he doesn't listen to all the bullshit press regarding that goal (though it was really bad timing, with 20 seconds left in the 2nd period!). I couldn't believe the headline on the back of the Province today: "Dan Cloutier: Long Time, No See" Yeah, not very nice at all. But I think there's a reason why Dan was such a high draft pick and did so well in junior: He's got a killer instinct, and the drive to overcome his challenges. This is just merely another challenge that I believe he'll overcome. It's all a matter of how he and the Canucks respond to it.

They lead Detroit 2 games to 1. Naslund said, after the loss, "I like our position." And he should. They could end this series in 5 games, technically speaking. I do believe now, however, it will be a 7 game series.

The Wings really showed their prowess last night, and why they completely dominated the year. Apparently their was a high profile sports magazine article last week that proclaimed the Wings as the "Greatest Team Ever". Well, if that's the case, then The Canucks must be even better than the greatest team ever, as they are the ones who are leading the series. But it's not over yet, not by a long shot (parden the pun
wink.gif
).

By the way, Zoomer, I originally thought the 'Streets' intro was the entire song minus the vocal track (I kept wondering to myself how they did that), but now that you mentin that it's a repitition of the intro to the song, only, I think you might be right. I went to a Canucks game last month, and they used the 'Streets' intro then as well. They've been using it all year long. Some things are just meant to be, I guess.

------------------
The Tempest

saying the Wings are the greatest team ever has to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard, they aren't even the best Detroit team of all time

Gretz and Mess (not to mention Kurri, Coffey, Fuhr, Anderson, Tikannen, MacTavish, Lowe and everyone else from the 80s Oilers) must have had a good laugh over that one, what a joke...

ummm, yeah the wings as the greatest team ever. well they may be the best regular season team in recent memory, tho i would dispute even that. they might challenge all the great teams for most hall-of-famers at one time but to say they are the greatest pays a great disrespect to many teams from years past. and the fact that they may not get of the first round does not a best team ever make.

i think if the canucks can't take the next one it's gonna be detroit in either 6 or 7.

eh? Where's the disaster now?
wink.gif

*I am soooo going to get evicted..... Can't stop screaming!

Well, the series is only tied 2-2, but the way the media is talking you'd think the Canucks have just lost the Stanley Cup. Now it's a best of 3, and I still think the Canucks can do it. Ironically, last night I think Vancouver played their best game of the series. All three Detroit goals (not including the empty net goal) were the results of extremely lucky bounces and deflections off Canuck players (maybe it's karma, as Vancouver had the same bounces the first 2 games). Vancouver has a lot to take from this last game. I do hope, however, that Naslund gets a little more involved tomorrow night. He needs to get his hands a little dirty, I think, as right now he's not playing like the guy who finished 2nd in scoring. Maybe he should take a few notes off Yzerman, who is playing like a god. Another two points last night for my favourite (active) player. Talk about a warrior.

Ps. Hi Angel!

------------------
The Tempest

Random thoughts about Detroit/Vancouver:

Yzerman is a stud.

I'm impressed that Detroit won the last two games after going down 0-2. I might be wrong, but I can't remember Detroit winning a playoff series in the last few years after losing the *first* game.

Detroit Pistons fans booed the Canadian national anthem during game 1 against the Toronto Raptors. I guess they were a little sore about being down against the Canucks. (This was, of course, shortly after the accident in Afghanistan. Oops.)

The most talented Detroit team in recent memory was probably the 1995-1996 team (62 wins in the regular season, if I remember correctly, but a bad loss to Colorado in the conference finals). The best Detroit team in recent memory would be the 1996-1997 team (beat Colorado and absolutely embarrassed Philly in the Finals).

[This message has been edited by speedracer (edited 04-25-2002).]

Hey Michael!

Well my thoughts--> its sooooooo not over yet. Today's game obviously is going to tell alot, but still, I feel it's anyone's series. I have faith in the Canuck's but they just really need to tighten up their passing. I am sorry but after that immediate goal by Detroit in the third period it was like Vancouver gave up. They had some amazing scoring opportunities but simply couldn't come through. It was sloppy and fairly embarrassing to watch. Today is going to be so intense, I don't know if my heart can take it!
biggrin.gif

Btw--> I don't think I have ever watched a more rough series. These two teams *really* seem to hate eachother. lol Makes it quite entertaining to watch.

*On a chick note, Burtuzzi looks so much like my exboyfriend it frightens me....
eek.gif

First to Speedracer:

I find it extremely ridiculous and stupid that those fans from Detroit would boo the Canadian national anthem given the fact that their very own Red Wing team is composed mostly of Canadians, which includes their best player, Steve Yzerman. (BTW, just to clarify, I don't think all Americans are "ridiculous and stupid". Some, not all.
wink.gif
)

And to Angel:

That's hilarious! So I must ask you: did your ex play for the Canucks, without ever telling you? Hmmm...

------------------
The Tempest

[This message has been edited by Michael Griffiths (edited 04-25-2002).]

Detroit 4, Vancouver 0 after the first period.

And to think I looked forward to this all day.

Originally posted by Michael Griffiths:
First to Speedracer:

I find it extremely ridiculous and stupid that those fans from Detroit would boo the Canadian national anthem given the fact that their very own Red Wing team is composed mostly of Canadians, which includes their best player, Steve Yzerman. (BTW, just to clarify, I don't think all Americans are "ridiculous and stupid". Some, not all.
wink.gif
)

True. But, then again...

Dominik Hasek - Czech Republic
Brett Hull - well, you know.
Nicklas Lidstrom - Sweden
Chris Chelios - USA
Sergei Fedorov - Russia
Igor Larionov - Russia

Well, just checked it out: 16 of the Wings 30 players are Canadian (so "most" just by a hair). Some of the best Canadian players are:

Steve Yzerman
Luc Robitaille
Brendan Shanahan
Steve Duchesne

There's also an ex-Canadian who was born in Belleville, Ontario named Brett Hull.

As for the game tonight, yeah, it was quite horrible, indeed. The Canucks totally unravelled. They've lost ALL confidence, from the goaltender on out. Cloutier was horrible, as was just about everyone else.

I think the Canucks will be desperate next game, and just might steal a win, but I'm seriously doubting -- for the first time -- that they'll win both games. My guess is Wings in 7. It's not that this fan is folding. I'm just being realistic. The Canucks gave a valient effort up to, and not including, this game. They've pretty much proved that they're one of the best teams in the league, competing, if not outplaying, the Wings up to (and once again, not including) tonight's game. They had the best record in since Christmas, and they've set some big expectations for themselves for next year. If they don't dominate next year, they are clearly a bunch of slackers. Just my opinion, of course.

I suspect, however, that they are, as Naslund recently said, "destined for greatness". They remind me of a very young Edmonton Oilers team from the early 80s, before they won all those cups, minus Gretzky of course. Naslund is a Kurri type. Bertuzzi is a Messier type. Morrison maybe an Anderson, and Jovonaski a lessor version of Paul Coffey. Cloutier has huge potential too. They are all very young, and this will teach them a great deal. Watch out for this team in the not so distant future.

Not that I'm writing them off already!

------------------
The Tempest

Originally posted by speedracer:

I'm impressed that Detroit won the last two games after going down 0-2. I might be wrong, but I can't remember Detroit winning a playoff series in the last few years after losing the *first* game.

I am forced to retract this claim.

In 1997, Patrick Roy stole game 1 from the Wings (35 shots, 1 goal allowed), but Detroit took the series 4-2.

I'm certain Detroit hasn't won a series after going down 0-2 in the last 15 years, though. Actually, that might not be true either...I remember Detroit being down 3-1 to the Minnesota North Stars in 1992 (?) and winning 4-3, so they might have been down 0-2 in that one.

Originally posted by Angel:
Btw--> I don't think I have ever watched a more rough series. These two teams *really* seem to hate eachother. lol Makes it quite entertaining to watch.

It's been a fairly rough series, though yesterday's game was pretty tame. I think the roughest I've seen is from the heydays of the Detroit/Colorado rivalry during the mid to late 90's. Those were the days when Roy and Osgood fought and Claude Lemieux was up to his usual dirty antics for Colorado.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look good for the Canucks. It seems that after the Lidstrom 90 footer, that Cloutier hasn't been the same. That goal, in my opinion, is the turning point in the series. Hopefully the beating the Canucks took last night will wake them up and they can force a Game 7.

[This message has been edited by The Blunt Edge (edited 04-26-2002).]

Originally posted by The Blunt Edge:
...Hopefully the beating the Canucks took last night will wake them up and they can force a Game 7.

Yes I agree. Of course I want the Canuck's to win the series, but realistically? Well... I haven't given up and they certainly shouldn't give up without a fight. Unfortunately last nights poor attempt at hockey portrayed a team that appears to have given up.
Everyone keeps talking about Hasek and how he has won the games for Detroit. I would have to severely disagree with that point, because the last two games I watched... Vancouver has not even challenged him. Last night they mustered up what? 1-2 decent attempts at a shot on goal in the 3rd and they managed to screw those up too.
rolleyes.gif
I watched that entire game just hoping that they'd get at least one goal to prevent a shutout, but well... Here's to hoping.
I don't mean to knock the Canuck's so bad, but I just find it really frustrating because they are such a damn fine hockey club and have to potential to kick some royal ass and they just aren't meeting their ability at all.

I laughed so hard at the commentators remarks last night. They were saying how the Canuck's should give Yzerman a good check and see just how healed up his knee really is
eek.gif
So harsh! I love it, but even so.... one player does not make a team. Detroit is solid, and just simply watching them play is amazing. I just wish I didn't have to watch them play against Vancouver.

Who knows... the impossible has happened before. Anyone remember the Canuck's vs. the Avalanche in 1994?
biggrin.gif
It ain't over till its over.

Game 7 come on boys!!

------------------
Game On!

[This message has been edited by Angel (edited 04-26-2002).]

I like what our boys did tonight, actually. They certainly didn't roll over. It's really too bad Cloutier choked, but it wasn't just his fault. The Canucks are (were) the youngest team in the playoffs, and it really showed against the extremely experienced Wings.

I think things bode well for next season, though. If they get someone like Kariya in the off season, they'll be a cup contender. Even if they don't get him, they'll still be one of the best teams in the league.

I really liked how relentless they were in the 3rd period. It was as though they actually believed they could come back, and they made a believer out of me that 3rd period, as well. Great effort.

See you next season, boys.

------------------
The Tempest

[This message has been edited by Michael Griffiths (edited 04-27-2002).]

the canucks may not be much more than a 'good' team next year but in time they will most definetely contend if they can renew that team, or something close to it.

a couple of other additions are neccessary: another top flight scorer maybe a veteran goalie to help cloutier come along. maybe vernon, or did he officially retire yet?

I talked with Brendan Morrison today (as he and the Canucks come into my workplace a lot). He looked quite morrose, almost sad. I thanked him for playing "such exciting hockey," and offered my opinion that they'd be awesome next year. He is such a class guy, and thanked me, and said they'd be ready for Detroit next year. It's great to follow a team of faces that you see all the time; they're not just players. You just kind of root for them that much more.

Next year, they'll surprise a few people, and I disagree with Wanderer, as I think they'll be more than just another "good" team. They had the best offence is the NHL this year, and had one of the best defenses. They were the best team since Christmas, if there record counts for anything. Not only that, they were the *youngest* team in the playoffs. Imagine the possibilities...

------------------
The Tempest

Back
Top Bottom