I Hate Espn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

I'm Ready

War Child
I just cant stand them anymore

peter gammons is always wrong and there coverage is insanely biased towards the yanks and red sox:angry:

espn.com sucks now too because theyre making practically EVERYTHING "insider."

i don't need to pay for anything i don't already know anyway.

yeah, almost all of the articles on espn.com are Insider stuff which you need to pay for...um, no thanks.

i agree that ESPN sucks, but the Peter Gammons comment? The only wrong thing I think he's said in the last six months is that the Twins were going to win the world series. but back to ESPN; all they do is just blow smoke up the superstars' and winning teams asses and diss the great athletes who perhaps never got a chance to prove themselves in the postseason. Take for instance Rafael Palmiero and Jason Giambi. Rafael just joined the 3,000 hit 500 HR club which should be certain for a first ballot hall of fame induction yet half the commentators on their channels and/or websites discuss how "boring" and "unproven" he is since he never impacted a posteason team. then giambi starts the year off terrible and has a good two week period and of the sudden he's the "giambino" again. it's shite i tell you, shite.

TheFly84138 said:
i agree that ESPN sucks, but the Peter Gammons comment? The only wrong thing I think he's said in the last six months is that the Twins were going to win the world series. but back to ESPN; all they do is just blow smoke up the superstars' and winning teams asses and diss the great athletes who perhaps never got a chance to prove themselves in the postseason. Take for instance Rafael Palmiero and Jason Giambi. Rafael just joined the 3,000 hit 500 HR club which should be certain for a first ballot hall of fame induction yet half the commentators on their channels and/or websites discuss how "boring" and "unproven" he is since he never impacted a posteason team. then giambi starts the year off terrible and has a good two week period and of the sudden he's the "giambino" again. it's shite i tell you, shite.

didnt peter gammons say the angels are the best team in the american league?

that the cubs will make it to the world series?

I'm not going to get on Gammo for saying the Cubs will make the World Series. The man clearly knows his stuff and their isn't a better baseball guy out there. With that said, he is one of the few highlights of ESPN along with the College Gameday guys. As long as Chris, Kirk, and the Coach are on the air on autumn Saturdays, the world is a good place.

HG's list of ESPN's redeeming qualities:

1. College Game Day
2. PTI (if and when Tony and Wilbon actually show up on it)
3. Stephen A. Smith
4. The Sunday Night Football games
5. Mike Patrick and Dick Vitale doing ACC basketball games

And that's about how I see it. I never get to watch PTI because now I live on West Coast time, so it airs before I get home from work. I'm looking forward to the new Stephen A. Smith show. But unless it's something named above, I completely understand people's frustration with ESPN. SportsCenter has become unbearable to watch with the reporters trying too hard to be clever, and listening to Stuart Scott makes me want to :banghead:. Sometimes I think ESPN try too hard to be hip, which really hurts the integrity of their sports coverage.

PTI irritates me. I hate wilbon. He's an idiot and very "pro" when it comes to black players. I dont mind him favoring them but it just irks me the way he comes off

Give me around the horn any day with my boy woody paige

Stephen A Smith?!?!?!?!?!

omg he is the most annoying person of alllllll time. he can't speak without yelling.

and what a surprise, a Red Sox fan likes Gammons, Gammons openly roots for the Red Sox

but Gammons is probably one of the least annoying people on ESPN, even though all of his trade predictions are always wrong

Chizip said:
Stephen A Smith?!?!?!?!?!

omg he is the most annoying person of alllllll time. he can't speak without yelling.

and what a surprise, a Red Sox fan likes Gammons, Gammons openly roots for the Red Sox

but Gammons is probably one of the least annoying people on ESPN, even though all of his trade predictions are always wrong

yea, hes actually on Around the Horn abit. Now he has his own show........who will I dislike more. Him or Jim Rome!!!

I find Stephen A. Smith refreshing compared to most of the other people working for ESPN. I get the impression that he's more concerned with speaking his mind than kissing the asses of the people in the NBA. I especially liked his comments during the coverage of this year's NBA draft.

I used to think Jim Rome was annoying, but the more I listened to his radio show, the more he grew on me.

Chizip said:

Are you going to slam a guy who grew up in Mass and wrote for the Boston Globe because he roots for his home team? There's a long list of "homers" in the media.

TheBrush said:
PTI irritates me. I hate wilbon. He's an idiot and very "pro" when it comes to black players. I dont mind him favoring them but it just irks me the way he comes off

Give me around the horn any day with my boy woody paige

Most days I want to choke Woody Paige. Although, he does have some amusing things written on his chalk board occasionally. :hmm:

Who I really, really, can't stand is Jay Mariotti. No man should have eyebrows like that. Not to mention he's blow-hole.

WildHoneyAlways said:

Most days I want to choke Woody Paige. Although, he does have some amusing things written on his chalk board occasionally. :hmm:

Who I really, really, can't stand is Jay Mariotti. No man should have eyebrows like that. Not to mention he's blow-hole.

yea hes a dick.

StlElevation said:
espn.com sucks now too because theyre making practically EVERYTHING "insider."

i don't need to pay for anything i don't already know anyway.

Not only that, but half the time I visit espn.com, the stupid site either loads wrong or doesn't come up at all.

WildHoneyAlways said:

ahh jay mariotti

:rant: :rant:

on another note on whitesoxinteractive.com they call mariotti mornonotti :ohmy:

steven a rocks. come on, how can you not want to listen to him yell? its the only reason i have to watch anything nba related on espn!

it's almost as if ESPN had an ego, and it's finally reached the high level mark and is now spilling over.

I remember the days with Kilborn, Patrick, Olberman (spelling?). And a few others like Rich Eisen.

Instead of showing us the highlights or stories of the past week with a little humor thrown in, every sportscaster is a comic, and everyone has to come up with their own thing.

I want to blame Stuart Scott for starting this. He really took the one liners too far, now everyone has something to say after every highlight.

And I'm really sick of hearing about the Yankee's and Red Sox. But the worst is Danica Patrick. Every weekend we need to watch a 5-10 minute story on her. We all know she's a women, and that's she's pretty good at driving a race car. But she also races for one of the best teams around......and more importantly...she hasn't won anything. I watched a little of the IRL race last weekend. Up until the final 10 laps, it was Danica, Danica, Danica. I don't even find her that attractive. She needs a real chest. Just like espn needs real reporting again

BEAL said:
I don't even find her that attractive. She needs a real chest. Just like espn needs real reporting again

You were really making some good points in your post, right up until this. So if she were hotter, you could excuse the unnecessary reporting on her? Why bring that up at all?

:down:

I find anna kornakova super hot, but I can't stand seeing her on a sports show. She was a decent player, that decided to cash in on her looks.

Danica is the same way. Do you think we'd even be talking about Danica if she wasn't good looking? I doubt it. In fact, I doubt she'd even be on the team that she is.

I guess I should have kept my opinion to myself on her looks. I didn't mean to imply that if she met my tastes, that I'd allow all the ridiculous coverage.

ESPN has gone down the shitter. However, I will surely change my mind when college basketball returns in the fall.....the ACC nights are amazing! The day that Dickie V either retires or croaks will be terrible since he IS college basketball to me. Only downside to the upcoming season is that us Tar Heels and Roy Williams fans will have nothing left to cheer for.

PS- whatever happened to Kilborn?

ESPN is the greatest....cause they show sports, how much can I hate it?

Around the Horn gets on my nerves and I want to kill everyone on the show, but its still about sports. So I watch it when I have nothing to do.

PTI is awesome, Tony K. is hilarious and Wilbon is pretty cool, he says dumb shit here and there, but they are both very intelligent when it comes to sports IQ. I'm just more of a Kornheiser fan. They are both from DC (Wash. post) so I am kind of biased, but I think it's a great show.

Steven A. Smith is the most annoying man on television, and now they are giving him his own show. I guess I can respect him because he speaks his mind....I'd rather watch "Rome is Burning."

I love watching ESPN's broadcasting of college sports, their basketball broadcasts are always great. They got the best tourneys and their team is great (Vitale is the man). College Gameday is awesome when it comes to college ball, and while guys like Trev Alberts pisses me off, he helps me with my gambling because I always take the team that he goes against. Fail-proof system. :wink:

When it comes to baseball, they are a little bias for the Red Sox and Yanks, but NY is my team so i'm not complaining. Gammons is the Don of baseball, he knows more about the game than anyone I've ever seen. I like Harold Reynolds and the whole Baseball Tonight show.

And now they are getting Monday night football (aren't they?). I hate Joe Theissman with a passion, but it is monday night football.

ESPN is awesome, it's the reason I have cable. I have issues here and there with it, but it's all I watch, as I'm not a big TV person.

Add to that: World Series of Poker......:drool:

Back
Top Bottom