I had no idea it was happening this young...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Sweetest_Thing

MacPhisto's serving wench
(Sorry. Slightly more serious post)

My little sis had a birthday party last weekend (she turned 13). And as the big sister, I got to hang around, make sure the kids didn't break anything, etc. Anyway, one of her friends was talking about the class trip to Ottawa. And how she had gotten to sit across from the boy she liked at dinner:

"Yeah...I didn't eat anything at dinner because I was afraid of looking like a pig in front of Vince. I mean, I don't want to gain weight. Then he probably wouldn't like me."

She's 13...:huh:

My favorite was when I was visiting Salem, MA and there was this group of girls who looked all of 12 talking about the wonders of laxatives for losing weight. Needless to say, what a gross mental image.

:crack:

Melon

i knew it was happening that young, i'm surprised you think that's "young" in the weight controversy.

when we were in 5th grade we all got diet talk...how bad consecutive dieting is blah blah blah. the best was their slogan "the first three letters in diet spell DIE"

everyone knows that eating right is going to kill...:shifty:

at any rate...our societal obsession with weight is sickening and doesn't look like it will leave soon. it's in our culture.

While i knew it was prevalent, I don't know why I'm surprised. Maybe the fact that she did it for a boy...or maybe that my sister would never say something like that (she's a bit young for her age, but much more levelheaded).

Personally, the whole thing sickens me. I want to talk some sense into these kids (this girl is incredibly thin as it is). I want to tell them that they can be themselves and still be happy and to stop going around at the age of 13 trying to seduce guys and to stop trying to adhere to this stick-figure ideal...these were the girls in high school that I never understood.

...lilly...:lol: so anyone who attempts to lose weight (no matter how good it may actually be for their health) will die?

Last year, my then 11 year old niece went on medication for ADD and the main side effect was weight loss. Her doctor was so concerned that he told her if she lost another 2 pounds, he would have to switch her to something else.

She was very upset because she was didn't want her appetite to come back...she was only eating a a few bites of breakfast, no lunch at all and she would just pick at her dinner. She said no way would she get fat again...and she is far from fat. I HATE that she's thinking about this at 11 years old. :tsk:

The_Sweetest_Thing said:
...lilly...:lol: so anyone who attempts to lose weight (no matter how good it may actually be for their health) will die?

eating right = bad

that's all i discerned from the course.

:(

it's sad that so many women and girls have to deal with this...when i was 11, one of the girls in my class was gossipping about how i had gotten fat over the summer. i don't appreciate that that burden was put on me that early. so hear that she would do this at such a young age is discouraging.

the least we can do is assure the women and girls in our lives that this isn't be an issue...at least it shouldn't be.

while I agree that it's awful, I knew girls who were sexually active at the age of 12.

*Seventh Grade Conversation in School Library*
KAYLA: Wait, bbug, you're STILL a virgin!? SERIOUSLY!?
MADDIE: Nuh-uh! NU-UH!
ME: Um, you guys, we're TWELVE...

and that was 9 years ago. *shakes head*

maybe i just had a sheltered upbringing, but that is absolutely ridiculous. did they even know the meaning of love? that's really sad...

What's even more sad is when kids are SO CRUEL about it.

I have been the victim of violence relating to this issue. It's something I have to live with all my life... and sadly, that memory is always the first one that comes to mind from my fifth grade year. :(

Needless to say, I would love it if this problem and this stigma that goes with the problem could be resolved or not made an issue at all... it pains me when I hear things like this. :(

i just asked my ten year old daughter about this. she says none of her friends worry about their weight or dieting. hopefully, this kind of thinking will continue in her group.

once again, it's a case of a parent raising a child to know what is right. i tell my daughter several times a day how beautiful she is, and she truly is...her face is incredible, and she has such style...but i always tell her that this should never be enough. i will teach her that the real trick is not to have just beauty, but brains as well.

Bbug said:
while I agree that it's awful, I knew girls who were sexually active at the age of 12.

*Seventh Grade Conversation in School Library*
KAYLA: Wait, bbug, you're STILL a virgin!? SERIOUSLY!?
MADDIE: Nuh-uh! NU-UH!
ME: Um, you guys, we're TWELVE...

and that was 9 years ago. *shakes head*

:tsk: it really is sad how kids are these days, but i agree that it's because of the messed up society we have where image is everything

i hope to god my niece doesn't start having concerns about this. she is lucky and has my skinny genes *however i wonder where those are now. lol* but i know she dances ballet that weight concern will be out there.

oh and about weight loss, it is always nice to go to your doctor in your late 20's and watch him as he takes his hand and wraps it around your wrist and tell you that "you are small frame, you shouldn't be at the weight where you are at. you need to loose some weight, i want you to pick up some dieting info on the way out of the office! " :mad:

Yes, anorexia and bulimia are concerns.

However in America, a much greater concern is obesity. I think something like 55% of us are seriously over weight. It is taking years off of lives and much of the quality out of our lives.

I have high blood pressure that I can reduce by losing about 15 pounds and getting in some cardio-vascular exercise.

I spend too much time watching tv and online. I eat things based on my appetite instead of when I am actually hungry.

Sorry, I did not mean for this to turn into a rant. I am going to log off and take my lard a** on a five mile bike ride.

Back
Top Bottom