I finally saw monster last night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

isabelle_guns

Refugee
I saw Monster last night.

"We have evil in us, all of us do, and my evil just happened to come out because of the circumstances," said serial killer Aileen Wuornos in an interview conducted shortly before her execution in 2002

The movie was based on the murder conviction of Aileen Wuomos who was executed in 2002 for killing seven of her "johns" while prostituting to support her lesbian lover Tyria Moore (changed to Selby Wall for the movie). I watched the movie with an open mind and was impressed and blown away by the end of it. Charlize Theron did an awesome acting job and completely deserved her oscar for her performance as Aileen Wuomos. The make-up job was so good that Charlize Theron was completely unrecognizable and I had to remind myself that Charlize Theron was the hot chick from "The Italian Job". The DVD extras had comparisons of Charlize and Aileen and Charlize became and was Aileen in the movie. Everything from physical mannerisms to speach impediments and flaws. There are so many movies out there based on serial killers but what impressed me about "Monster" was that you couldn't help but feel sorry for Aileen. The movie gave a human side to what the media, papers want us to think about serial killers. At the same time by showing a little sympathy, it wasn't too softened 'cause the writing also depicted how deranged Aileen was though the amazing acting job of Charlize Theron. I was glad that it wasn't a typical "serial killer" movie.

The only downside to the movie is since writer/director Patty Jenkins played on my sympathy for Aileen Wuomos and her love life between her and Selby, I would've liked to have known more about Aileen's childhood.

I can't forget about Christina Ricci who seems to be forgotten about in lots of movies (review and critic wise). Christina Ricci played a good supporting role and I felt sorry for her as the lost young lesbian just needing to be loved. Christina Ricci didn't have much of a role as the movie was the focus of Aileen but for what she played, I couldn't think of anyone better for the role.

I agree with your review, isabelle. The only thing that really bothered me was Charlize's fake teeth. I was slightly distracted by her mouth through the whole movie, and not in a good way. It just wasn't quite right. But the performances, the script and the direction were incredible. It all rang so true. (Except for the teeth, lol).

:ohmy: I just saw it last night for the first time too....

I agree with you, I would have liked to have known more about her childhood. I also was curious about the pictures of the kids she had with her. I was a little upset at the end of the movie when it only said what happened to Aileen and not Selby. I always do this when I see a movie based on a true story...I looked online last night to see if I could find any info about Aileen's story and it said on a few sites that she only killed the men who tried to rape her. The one rape scene in the movie was bad enough to watch and I'm glad they didn't show more but if that's the case then the movie is a little misleading because it made it seem like she was just on a killing spree for money and not killing men who tried to rape her.

I guess I felt a little empty after watching the movie in a sense that I didn't get the full picture of Aileen's life but all in all I thought it was an excellent performance by Charlize.

joyfulgirl said:
I agree with your review, isabelle. The only thing that really bothered me was Charlize's fake teeth. I was slightly distracted by her mouth through the whole movie, and not in a good way. It just wasn't quite right. But the performances, the script and the direction were incredible. It all rang so true. (Except for the teeth, lol).

Come to think of it, the teeth were a bit of a distraction.

I wanted to know more about Selby as well but odd how they changed the character's name for the movie but I can respect that since the real women in Ailleen's life (or was in her life) wants to be annoymous.

I rented it a couple of weeks ago. From everything I'd read/heard about it, much of it was stretching the truth about facts. I thought I read that Selby was made up for the movie, maybe not..

If she did really only kill men who raped/tried to rape her, that wasn't reflected in the movie. She killed that last man who was kind to her and tried to help her. If that really happened, I think she couldn't even handle at that point the thought that someone genuinely wanted to help her.

I would never excuse what she did, but I can understand what lack of love and the violence did to her.

And I thought Charlize's performance was not at all about the makeup and weight-she made you feel what Aileen felt, what she was like.

We rented it the other night. God Charlize was hiddeous.. and she is so gorgeous in real life. Great makeup job. I agree about the teeth though :lol: Looks like she also had to gain some weight for the movie.

I know this is a stupid question, but is Charlize a lesbian by chance? She's staring in another movie due out sometime this year where she plays the role of a lesbian again. Ofcourse, that doesn't mean anything, but I'm just curious.

Nah! she's just a fine actress with great adaptability...easy on the eyes for either gender...:yes:

Now, I don't know for sure that she's not Lesbian but I wouldn't think so; regardless, it wouldn't deter me from being one her fans...:up:

Zoorock Girl! said:
I know this is a stupid question, but is Charlize a lesbian by chance? She's staring in another movie due out sometime this year where she plays the role of a lesbian again. Ofcourse, that doesn't mean anything, but I'm just curious.

That's not a stupid question. :) It's just that there really aren't alot of meaty roles out there for women, if they're not playing the flippant girlfriend, the bitchy wife or the frazzled housewife. As an actress, you have to take what you can get sometimes when it comes to potentially meaty roles, and lord knows, Charlize has paid her dues playing the trophy wife/girlfriend.

HelloAngel said:

That's not a stupid question. :) It's just that there really aren't alot of meaty roles out there for women, if they're not playing the flippant girlfriend, the bitchy wife or the frazzled housewife. As an actress, you have to take what you can get sometimes when it comes to potentially meaty roles, and lord knows, Charlize has paid her dues playing the trophy wife/girlfriend.

She's paid those dues personally and professionally..:yes:

Back
Top Bottom