i bought two albums yesterday, and i dont like them. you might.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoomerang96

ONE love, blood, life
so i layed down 35 dollars (different working conditions make me believe money will be coming in better now*justification note) yesterday to buy coldplays latest and ISDN by future sound of london.

we'll start with coldplay. ive heard so many good things here about them, and i had heard two songs that i really liked, one on the radio (in my place) and the other i downloaded (politik). to my horror, after listening to the album, only the first two songs did anything for me. the rest is soooooooooooo dull. downright boring. atyclb part two, in my opinion. except nowhere near as good. id reach for u2's latest any day.

to my credit, i still have it in my discman and im forcing myself to listen to some of the songs over and over again. but wow...this is bland. to compare this to the joshua tree in terms of greatness is the biggest farce E.V.E.R.

now the next album could hardly be described as boring.

isdn by future sound of london.

this will take more listening too, but so far im very disappointed. i should have spent a bit more money and got the fan-favorite the isness. this album will hopefully connect with me later, but so far i wish i had bought the isness.

flame me if you wish. theyre honest, and DISAPPOINTED thoughts. for one, coldplay, i really wished that i like them, they seem like great guys and their music is nice. but too nice. i dont want nice. and on top of that, its not catchy to me! maybe it is for you guys.

i'm sorry you don't like the new coldplay. i love that album. i'm listening to it right now in fact. but i hate it when i buy something thinking i'll dig it and then end up thinking it sucks. that blows. :mad:

i've never heard any songs of the other band. i should download some of their stuff and check it out.

download papua new guinea like ive told you a trillian billion *squared times!

:angry:

:sexywink:

i've listened coldplay new cd in music shop for about 15 mins , didn't liked it , booring , same vocal , piano , standart guitar sound , even oasis is much better , britpop yuck :barf: :barf:

I've waited so long to say this, especially as such a big fan of "Parachutes," but I, too, did not like Coldplay's new album.

To avoid flameage, I see the merits, it just didn't grab me.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
but I think the hype has kinda been pumped up too much. :huh:

ya think?

the posts saying this is the best album since 1997 or even worse - since achtung baby is the worst statement ever.

this album is stale. very, very stale. unfortunately, i know angel and screaming flower really like it, so i hope they dont kill me.

im sorry :|

dont hate me cause im beautiful.

Zoomerang96 said:

ya think?

the posts saying this is the best album since 1997 or even worse - since achtung baby is the worst statement ever.

this album is stale. very, very stale. unfortunately, i know angel and screaming flower really like it, so i hope they dont kill me.

im sorry :|

dont hate me cause im beautiful.

:yes: I know. I haven't heard it yet, so I can't say anything, but when I do, I'll be sure to let everyone know how I feel about it.

(cause I know my opinion on it counts so much, lol)

i actually went into buying the album having not really liked parachutes and thinking that the album was probably going to suck (yes, that's how i always decide on which albums to buy :sexywink: ), but i was pleasantly surprised..even upon first listen. i really think it's awesome album. i'm not saying it's one of the best albums around of late, but it's pretty damn good for what that's worth.

what can i say, i guess i'm just a dull and boring kind of gal :shrug: :p

i'm listening to the new coldplay for the fourth time today. i obviously need help.

i must be dull and boring too. :|

don't worry bear. i won't kill you. however, i might not allow myself to mankiss you anymore. at least not unless picturing chris martin in my head.

bear, your review of the new Coldplay album has been helpful, i was contemplating purchasing it tomorrow, but i will take warning, and save money as well. time to dl a couple tracks :)

long live bear

i LOOOOOOVE the new Coldplay album...but I also LOOOOOVE dull music that i can cry or sleep to.....Sorry you didn't liek it...

I was disappointed in the new Chris Isaak CD if it makes you feel any better...

The upside of not liking new Cds is the fact that you can quickly take them to the Used CD shops and get almost half yer money back since new ones are usually in higher demand....:shrug:

The Wanderer said:
shhhh, let's not spoil the moment with talk

that was funny.

wannabe, i hope coldplay wont kill me now. but as is the case with almost any artist, its a good idea to download songs first then buy the album if you like it. it really pays.

the mankissing girls, larrymullen and screaming flower are quite intrigueing.

i am paying attention.

Zoomerang96 said:
to my credit, i still have it in my discman and im forcing myself to listen to some of the songs over and over again. but wow...this is bland. to compare this to the joshua tree in terms of greatness is the biggest farce E.V.E.R.

I respectfully - and completely - disagree.

Unfortunately, I can offer little to pursuade you that the album is anything but bland, that it truly is a special work worthy of comparisons to Achtung Baby and The Joshua Tree.

But I still believe it is. After listening to songs like "The Scientist," "Daylight," "Green Eyes," and "Amsterdam," I don't see how one can deem it bland, uninteresting, or not very good.

Michael Griffiths and I must see SOMETHING in this album.

(wannabe, don't listen to Zoomerang OR me. Listen to the actual songs and make your decision from THAT.)

Zoomerang, I'm not sure how you're previewing this album - whether you're listening to it as a complete work or in piecemeal, whether you're doing something else or giving it your undivided attention. But I suggest you sit down for an hour and listen to the entire album with interruptions or distractions. If you don't like it after that - if you aren't MOVED by it - fine.

But I close with this thought: some people thought "Slippery When Wet" was better than "The Joshua Tree."

Bubba

Last edited:
Neh... IMHO, Coldplay is overrated, ... even back then with Parachutes... Are they Radiohead or U2? U2 or Radiohead? :shrug:

But, at least they're better than the slew of nu metal bands that are out there.

Achtung Bubba said:
Quick question, while I'm here, Zoomerang. Whaddya think of U2's Boy?

i love the album, though it doesnt make it into my discman very often. that is a solid album, one of the best debuts from any band ever, imo.

why do you ask, may i ask?

and, yes i will continue listening to it more.

and yes wannabe, i agree with bubba on this one. go listen to some songs on the album to get a good idea. go get the ones he mentioned as being good then decide for yourseslf.

The only reason I ask is that, while I believe A Rush of Blood may well be as great as the Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby (time will tell, of course), it reminds me of nothing more than Boy - a very simple, pure sound designed to deliver the most emotional impact.

While probably not my single favorite U2 album, Boy is also VERY high on my list. I think that, because it's so old and so different from U2's later work, it's their most underrated work.

I was just wondering whether you liked Boy. :)

Bubba

Coldplay overrated??

Overrated is a terrible word that usually means "I didn't like it as much as other folks did." Having admitted that I submit that AROBTTH is overrated. Parachutes is overrated. Coldplay is overrated. But only on this board really.
Ironically, I was an early convert. Something about Yellow tugged at me. It could have been just the latest in a long line of Britpop Radiohead rip-offs but I suspected there was more to it than that. So I bough Parachutes and there was. But not much more. Parachutes was all atmosphere with a healthy dose of U2, Travis and Radiohead thrown into the mix. Not bad but lacking in originality and punch. I liked it less and less with each listen. Not a good sign.

AROBTTH is better. The songs are more finely crafted--it's not just atmosphere this time.
But the Joshua Tree? Achtung Baby? The best album since 1997?
In My Place is a beautiful song but it's not exactly the next With Or Without You. WOWY, Streets, Still Haven't Found...they're classics because they meet a number of criteria.
First, they're superlative examples of songwriting. I'll take others at their word that AROBTTH is as well. I don't really agree but that's subjective I guess.
Second the songs on Joshua Tree are incredibly flexible. They can be interpreted in a number of different ways. Is WOWY about Jesus or a woman? Spiritual doubt and yearning or sexual? The song works perfectly well either way. Is Still Haven't Found just a gospel song? What kind of a gospel song revels in doubt anyway? What the heck is Streets "about?" Africa? God? Ali?
Are Coldplay songs that flexible? I would argue no.
Third, Joshua Tree had a unique and original sound. WOWY is a bolero I guess but with a bizarre guitar sound made by a newly invented guitar--the Infinite. There was nothing like it on the radio. The same can be said of Streets. That song is all over the place--one of the most inventive rock songs this side of Bohemian Rhapsody.
Ever heard a Coldplay song that startled you with its originality? I haven't. Ever heard a Coldplay song without thinking of another band or artist? I haven't.

I like Coldplay. I think that they're a good band. But I do think the hype on Interference has been a little perplexing. Better than U2, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, REM, Radiohead etc, etc?

MAP

:|

Does everything have to be an argument around here?

Geez...

MAP2K-- I'm not quite sure whether you're arguing for or against Coldplay... Some parts of what you've wrote doesn't make sense. Basically, I have no clue what you're trying to get at.

In any case, I don't feel like debating anyone at this time.

Everyone has their own opinions, more power to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom