I am in Japan guys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
make sure to breathe in their twisted take on pop culture.

star2.jpg

That was a quasi bizarre movie, Lost in Translation. My guys at work go to Japan, Taiwan, Korea, Singapore all the time as well as to Europe and Australia. I love booking their trips for them and they always bring me back postcards and little gifts. :up: You should see my postcard wall in my office! :wink:

One of my best friends went to Japan to work for 6 months there. Once there, they introduced him to his "lady friend" for his complete stay.... :huh: ....he declined at first, but after being told that it would be a lack of respect for not obeying with such an "offering"....he went along with it.......:eyebrow: :huh:

I've heard those stories too. Japanese businessmen like to entertain like that. I don't get it. They didn't show THAT in Lost in Translation, tho , did they?

ok I got it :lol: but how would refusing this person be considered impolite??? :eyebrow:

I can understand if refusing food or gifts in certain cultures is considered impolite! But something like this..? :silent:

ok i am a software guy...and that takes me to these places...the kind of job i am in takes people to US,UK, western europe, Japan etc.. my work hasnt taken me to USA yet but other ones i have been to .. .. i have changed 3 jobs.. :) in last 6 years..

so the 2nd day in japan...could manage to get down from local trains at correct station...thanks to english display on electronic screen inside the compartment....otherwise its difficult because all the route maps are in japanese.. no ones seems to understand english..

.even on the screen in compartment, the info in screen in english is flashed for only a smalltime..

however while coming back from work on train, there was an announcement on the trains which made the getting down easier.

the biggest problem i am having now is getting a food that doesnt have beef,bacon,meat,fish etc.. Today in dinner I survived on Potato chips, 1 doughnuts, 1 apple cake of something, another desert which has bread, icecream and caramel syrup kind of things...so basically lot of desserts :).. it costs a lot i think...close to 2000 yen ...( one of my friend who came with me ate OCTOPUS....yuck yuck yuck )

and i had hot hot hot saki of course..make that 2500 yen for dinner alone :)

had a hectic day at work.. difficult to communicate even at office...
did lot of window shopping after work

and the japanese girls with all those short skirts :drool:

more later

yesterday - no saki
today - no saki

today i went on top of tokyo tower..

tokyo tower is very similar to eiffel tower...

although eiffel tower is slightly smaller..it is more huge sideways and also in design

i will post some pics shortly ...not sure when but soon i guess

AcrobatMan said:
ok i am a software guy...and that takes me to these places...the kind of job i am in takes people to US,UK, western europe, Japan etc.. my work hasnt taken me to USA yet but other ones i have been to .. .. i have changed 3 jobs.. :) in last 6 years..

so the 2nd day in japan...could manage to get down from local trains at correct station...thanks to english display on electronic screen inside the compartment....otherwise its difficult because all the route maps are in japanese.. no ones seems to understand english..

.even on the screen in compartment, the info in screen in english is flashed for only a smalltime..

however while coming back from work on train, there was an announcement on the trains which made the getting down easier.

the biggest problem i am having now is getting a food that doesnt have beef,bacon,meat,fish etc.. Today in dinner I survived on Potato chips, 1 doughnuts, 1 apple cake of something, another desert which has bread, icecream and caramel syrup kind of things...so basically lot of desserts :).. it costs a lot i think...close to 2000 yen ...( one of my friend who came with me ate OCTOPUS....yuck yuck yuck )

and i had hot hot hot saki of course..make that 2500 yen for dinner alone :)

had a hectic day at work.. difficult to communicate even at office...
did lot of window shopping after work

and the japanese girls with all those short skirts :drool:

more later

lol @ the short skirts. great you´re enjoying ! :up:

Every few blocks, you have to turn quickly, point to the sky and yell "GODZILLA!" If you don't do it, everyone will know you're a tourist. It's a japanese tradition, like kimonos, saki and self-disemboweling.

Thanks, Acrobatman, for your posts about your experiences in Japan! I am enjoying reading about your trip and your stay there very much. I hope you find more to eat that you like. Maybe some plain noodle dishes? Pizza?:drool:

good stuff acrobatman... sounds like you've got a great 7ob.

you should hook me up. :wink:

Mr. Bo Heiress – lip my stockings!

DIRECTOR (in Japanese to the interpreter): The translation is very
important, O.K.? The translation.

INTERPRETER: Yes, of course. I understand.

DIRECTOR: Mr. Bob-san. You are sitting quietly in your study. And then
there is a bottle of Suntory whiskey on top of the table. You
understand, right? With wholehearted feeling, slowly, look at the
camera, tenderly, and as if you are meeting old friends, say the
words. As if you are Bogie in "Casablanca," saying, "Cheers to you
guys," Suntory time!

INTERPRETER: He wants you to turn, look in camera. O.K.?

BOB: That's all he said?

INTERPRETER: Yes, turn to camera.

BOB: Does he want me to, to turn from the right or turn from the left?

INTERPRETER (in very formal Japanese to the director): He has prepared
and is ready. And he wants to know, when the camera rolls, would you
prefer that he turn to the left, or would you prefer that he turn to
the right? And that is the kind of thing he would like to know, if you
don't mind.

DIRECTOR (very brusquely, and in much more colloquial Japanese):
Either way is fine. That kind of thing doesn't matter. We don't have
time, Bob-san, O.K.? You need to hurry. Raise the tension. Look at the
camera. Slowly, with passion. It's passion that we want. Do you
understand?

INTERPRETER (In English, to Bob): Right side. And, uh, with intensity.

BOB: Is that everything? It seemed like he said quite a bit more than
that.

DIRECTOR: What you are talking about is not just whiskey, you know. Do
you understand? It's like you are meeting old friends. Softly,
tenderly. Gently. Let your feelings boil up. Tension is important!
Don't forget.

INTERPRETER (in English, to Bob): Like an old friend, and into the camera.

BOB: O.K.

DIRECTOR: You understand? You love whiskey. It's Suntory time! O.K.?

BOB: O.K.

DIRECTOR: O.K.? O.K., let's roll. Start.

BOB: For relaxing times, make it Suntory time.

DIRECTOR: Cut, cut, cut, cut, cut! (Then in a very male form of
Japanese, like a father speaking to a wayward child) Don't try to fool
me. Don't pretend you don't understand. Do you even understand what we
are trying to do? Suntory is very exclusive. The sound of the words is
important. It's an expensive drink. This is No. 1. Now do it again,
and you have to feel that this is exclusive. O.K.? This is not an
everyday whiskey you know.

INTERPRETER: Could you do it slower and ?

DIRECTOR: With more ecstatic emotion.

INTERPRETER: More intensity.

DIRECTOR (in English): Suntory time! Roll.

BOB: For relaxing times, make it Suntory time.

DIRECTOR: Cut, cut, cut, cut, cut! God, I'm begging you.

guys

to day is my last day..here in japan

not the last ..but tomorrow i am flying back...

not sure if i am coming back...but may be in may...they say..not sure though

nothing is certain :)

anyway tomorrow i hav ea flight to bangkok and then to india :love:

its 12.15am here..today we start at 4.40am in morning...and i have had many beers :)..KIRINS...i like it....whatever it is

so i havent started yet on my packing,,,i bought LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTS of choclate.....some perfumes...all the japenese electronic stuff has japanese MENU or work at 100 V that wont work for me anyway..so it was diffuicult gfor me to buy stuff

. i dont know how to start my packing and when to sleep..all the clothes are littered around my room..my food is lying next to my laptap... i have to eat that well..

one underwear is near the door ..the other 2 in 2 corner of this hotel room...i am sure i am going to forget packing one of those..

anyway in the local train, you are not allowed to speak on phones here..and the local preople - th eones in my office anyway here drink a lot...both thing surprised me..also they seem to like baseball which is like cricket...
these might not be generalisation but from te ones i interacted...i figured out this.. they like basketball a lot.. too

and sushi is raw FISH...thats what i think.. whic h is pretty popular.. i dontremember the last time i eat meat,,,definitely not this year...may be last year..sometime late

and the photos i promised,,,,i have more than 100 pics :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/letdown_acrobat/DSCN0064_.jpg

these are the link..i generally dont like to be in photos...but i have 3-4 with me in it...that actually spoils the photo..if u want those,,i can upload those a s well when i reach india :love:

well i better start something

drinking KIRIN.. i mean :)

:)

Last edited:
Wow - this is the best thread in the last three months :drool:
Thanks for sharing everything.

I really, really want to go to Japan now. Moreso than before.

its not tomorrow ..its today ,,damn

u2soar - didnt understand a thing,,,i generally understand those stuff

bear - canada has lot of IBM offices ..i think... not sure how i can help u get there...do u know programming... that should get u a job,,

BAW.. i can tell diff between sapparo and kirini..i had sapparo on wednesday i think :)

u2beaver - we have kimnonos at our hotel :)

is it godzilla or kahochuha or something like that that means hello..

oops i just know sayonara

yesterday night i have tempura or some tha stuff...fried vegetable..i didnt have fish because thse days i have got repulsion for fish..i last eat fish in 2002 or so,,,,,my dad likes fish a lot..

but why am i talking about all this :)

Back
Top Bottom