I am desperate for computer help please... my system is fried.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Angel said:

Totally embarrassed to say this but... I'll need all the discs for those right? I mean, Windows 98 is just Windows... it won't have the microsoft programs on it will it?

Windows 98 is just Windows...you'll need all the discs for the other programs.

Melon

Well... all I have on there at the moment is Word, Excel, Adobe and such....
What about all the little stuff? Oh gawd. I sound stupid. Nevermind. :reject: I suck.

:crack: I know. What about Windows Explorer? That must be part of Windows... hmm :hmm: what else? I decided I don't care if I sound stupid. What about Settings etc..? that's all part of Windows?
So then... I have Microsoft stuff... like Excel, Word, Imaging...
I have ACDsee, but I think that is freeware available online. Adobe... also freeware.
I have a really basic PC.

There is no way that while formatting C: the system would automatically format D: too? That would be a nightmare.

ACDsee and Adobe and those things you need to download. Browser comes with windows *I believe*.

If you direct it to format C it wont format anything else but that.

I have had a similar nightmare when my hard drive went bad :crack: And when I bought a new comp and windows ME sucked so bad it froze every 5 seconds. I've had to re-install things so many times.

Now I just need to get my hands on this software. Then I think it will all work fine.
It will be good to clean up the C:
If this computer can last me just a little longer... 6 months.. a year. :sigh: I just can't afford a new PC this year.

:happy: My co-worker just offered to bring in some discs for me tomorrow. :dance:

Boy am I going to have a fun weekend. lol

Umm.. a little late on the uptake I guess..

but if you are wiping your drive, make sure you have all your drivers for all the peripherals that you have, meaning any special cards you bought for the computer. Video cards, modem, network, that type of thing. When you reinstall Windows it will have generic drivers which dont always work for the hardware...

Windows Explorer is part of operating system, Internet Explorer is not...if anything comes bundled with Win98 it may be like IE 4 if you're lucky..that was a long time ago cant remember if it came bundled or not.

All other software is separate, Office - which is Word, Excel, Powerpoint are separate, Adobe, Winzip, all the little stuff not part of WIndows operating system.

Good luck..you should be fine as long as you have all cds that came with your unit....if not you could always use a friends computer to download the stuff you may need, ie. drivers, Internet Explorer, Winzip, and burn to cd then install..but of course make sure when you reinstall windows it recognizes the cd rom..I have had problems where it doesnt see it after reload.

Cheers, just go slow...take your time..itll go fine...:yes:

guaca said:
but if you are wiping your drive, make sure you have all your drivers for all the peripherals that you have, meaning any special cards you bought for the computer. Video cards, modem, network, that type of thing. When you reinstall Windows it will have generic drivers which dont always work for the hardware...

I am scared now. I don't know if I will have all that stuff. :scream:

:der: I can't do this.

Well, you could always take it to a computer shop :reject:

I did when my hard drive went bad and had to get a new hard drive and have win2000 re installed. They installed browsers for me, some programs and even photoshop :dance:

Cost me $300 though :uhoh:

:crack: I'll totally lose my internet hookup and everything... Dood from the cable company did all that.

:banghead:

nah you can do it...give me a rundown of your computer, make and model, and give me a list of the stuff you have attached to your computer...see what happens is they install an oem version on your computer which means you dont get the cds..either that or they install the stuff and dont give you the original cds and license as they may have installed it as a favour or what have you..

the main problems I have had is installing Windows 98 and then needing the network drivers for the network cards...and of course you cant get them from the network because your card isnt working...that makes me mad...and the video card uses the pnp generic vga driver which doesnt give you 256 or high colour but rather only 16 and you cant adjust the screen properties...or the CD rom doesnt get recognized - that has happened to me a few times...and Ive had to resort back to old DOS drivers to get it to work..but that doesnt happen alot..and the modem needs its driver...and what else...printers...mostly its the cards though..and if you upgraded your system after the fact, like you bought a new motherboard or something, then sometimes you need to use the cd to install all the firmware and flash the BIOS and whatnot...but all this stuff I tell you - dont let it scare you..9 times out of 10 you dont need anything special..but telling you so you are prepared as best as you can be is all....

have fun

You can download most of the hardware drivers from the manufacturers' websites, if you don't have them on Windows 98. Also try Windows Update *immediately* after the reinstall, because you'll get a lot of updates right there, such as Windows Media Player 9 and Internet Explorer 6 SP1.

I wouldn't worry too much.

Melon

oh. that sounds less frightening.

how do I find out what drivers etc... I need? :crack:

Yes but before you can run Windows Update you will need your internet connection working which means if going through cable modem or whatever that itll have to be setup...so while drivers you can get after the fact for most things...you'll still need your internet connection to work before you can do that...

I have Rogers hi-speed internet which goes through a cable modem and into my network card...my network card came with a 3 1/2 inch disk which gives you driver for it under Add new Hardware....and the Rogers stuff comes with CD in the manual that the guys should have left you after he installed it...or something like that.

yes. I think I have something of that sort. This is all above me now.

How do I find out what kind of cards I have in my system. Like soundcards, videocards etc...

Go into the Control Panel, Start button, Settings, COntrol Panel. Then go into System...then into Device Manager...click on the plus sign to the left of display adapter and that will give you name of sound card...do the same for your modem, do the same for network card, sound card...DVD/CD rom driives..will tell you what you need to know...sound easy enough to follow?

Go into the Control Panel, Start button, Settings, COntrol Panel. Then go into System...then into Device Manager...click on the plus sign to the left of display adapter and that will give you name of sound card...do the same for your modem, do the same for network card, sound card...DVD/CD rom driives..will tell you what you need to know...sound easy enough to follow?

:lol:

Also if you dont think you can hook your cable back up by yourself just call the cable company and they will walk you through it :yes:

:hug: You all rawk. Thanks again. I will fiddle around with your suggestions and hope it all works. Won't be able to post tonight (for obvious reasons) so have a great evening.

:up: Survivor night Sicy.

Back
Top Bottom