I am an asshole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peyton Manning

The Fly
So tonight is the deadline for the salary cap. Who of my teammates will be sent packing because of my greed? Will we lose the edge because we lose The Edge, Edgerrin James, because of my selfishness? I know, how much money could one guy possibly use, especially when he came from a rich family to begin with? Oh, I know, those fools Tom Brady and Troy Aikman voluntarily restructured their contracts to delay bonuses so they could keep their teams together. Maybe to them, a ring means more than a couple more million lying around collecting dust, but not me, because I am an asshole.

But on the plus side, Mike Vander(insert epithet here) is probably gone as well.

If the Colts sign Adam Vinatieri, I will light myself on fire.

speedracer said:

If the Colts sign Adam Vinatieri, I will light myself on fire.

:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

I will rip my nails off with pliers-this would be the only thing more painful

Peyton you do suck

At this point I'd rather keep Edge and get a QB who isn't going to freeze like Cindy Brady when the little red light (and the pressure) comes on.

I don't want Viniteri. If he goes to the Colts, he's just as disloyal and greedy as Peyton. Players have no shame these days, it's not about the team and the glory, but the cash.

Bill Parcells is a sellout and a traitor for going to fucking Dallas after being with the Giants.

U2Kitten said:
At this point I'd rather keep Edge and get a QB who isn't going to freeze like Cindy Brady when the little red light (and the pressure) comes on.

Wow, I think that's the first time I've heard you say you don't want Manning as your QB anymore.

I don't want Viniteri. If he goes to the Colts, he's just as disloyal and greedy as Peyton. Players have no shame these days, it's not about the team and the glory, but the cash.

It's not that simple this year, with everything going on between the union and the NFL. As of right now, teams have to stay at the current salary cap, so they have no choice but to jettison certain players. Vinateri's contract is up, and the Pats are at the cap limit, while a team like the Browns have tons of money to spend. If the Pats can't pay him anywhere near his value because of the cap, you certainly can't blame Vinateri for that.

I would love for the Colts to go all the way with Peyton but I think he's even destroyed my faith in him and if he's lost me how could anyone still believe in him? It's not fair to Harrison, Edge and all the others to not get a ring because of him. I'd rather lose him than have the team go downhill. It took too long to get this far to blow it now. I am a Colts fan first, not a Manning fan.

It is a shame about the money thing too, for all the teams:(

you liked him last year right? and he is still under the same contract that he had last year and hasnt held out demanding for more money or anything... so what has happened since last year that makes him so greedy now?

the timing of calling him geedy just seems a little weird to me, it seems like that should have been said when he signed his contract, not in the midde of it.

Last edited:
Because now his contract is causing trouble with keeping other important players, and, unlike other players in the past, he seems unwilling to renegotiate/restructure it for the good of the team. This is the year that the huge bonus is supposed to come up and it will count about 20 million against the cap. If he could defer some of that until later, James, Simon and some of the others could be kept around.

Last edited:
He just signed the contract last year. Usually when players rework their deal its in the final year or two of a long term, backloaded deal. Nobody reworks their longterm contract in the second year. You can't really blame Manning for the Colts mismanagement.

And once the new CBA gets extended the Colts won't be in as bad as shape anyway. They'll be able to spread the bonus over 7 years instead of just 4 if the CBA doesn't get extended.

If you were going to hate Manning due to greed it should have been when he signed the contract, not because he wont rework his deal one year after he signed it.

Last edited:
See, his conscience bothered him last night after posting this thread! ;)

Does this mean they'll get to keep Edge or is he still to expensive? They need to keep the triplets together!

U2Kitten said:

Bill Parcells is a sellout and a traitor for going to fucking Dallas after being with the Giants.

Well he did get on a different plane than his players after losing the Pats/Packers Superbowl.

phanan said:

If the Pats can't pay him anywhere near his value because of the cap, you certainly can't blame Vinateri for that.

Please-the PAts have franchised him for the past two years so he has been getting paid a significant amount of money for a kicker. He is in the top three. And don't give me that value crap. Adam would not be Adam without Brady and Brady would not be Brady without Adam. The guy is a kicker. The guy goes somewhere else what is he gonna get and extra $500,000? It is not like if Brady left and teams are anti up half their cap. Also he has endorsments here. They may be lame (there is the worst Papa Ginos ad here) but where else is he a hoemtown hero. Why the hell would he sell coffee in Dallas?
The radio had said he is the best clutch kicker of all time. Well no shit. Give me anotehr example of a kicker being given the situation to win as many games as he has?
Go Adam-go...the Pats will be fine without you.

whatever money he makes elsewhere he'll lose in endorsements. dunkin donuts, papa ginos, ford too i think?...

that said, depending on the new cap, i think he'll be staying. i've read that mcginest is likely to get cut and that'll save 6 million and the pats (just with that one cut) will have 7+ million to work with. i don't see vinatieri realistically leaving. it would be a mistake for both he and the patriots.

as for james, i've read that the broncos (yeah right, theyre already pretty fucked with the cap right now), cardinals and vikings were the top 3 eyeing edge.

ljclary said:

Please-the PAts have franchised him for the past two years so he has been getting paid a significant amount of money for a kicker. He is in the top three. And don't give me that value crap. Adam would not be Adam without Brady and Brady would not be Brady without Adam. The guy is a kicker. The guy goes somewhere else what is he gonna get and extra $500,000? It is not like if Brady left and teams are anti up half their cap. Also he has endorsments here. They may be lame (there is the worst Papa Ginos ad here) but where else is he a hoemtown hero. Why the hell would he sell coffee in Dallas?
The radio had said he is the best clutch kicker of all time. Well no shit. Give me anotehr example of a kicker being given the situation to win as many games as he has?
Go Adam-go...the Pats will be fine without you.

I never said anything about the past two years - what are you talking about? Of course he's gotten paid well recently - he's in the prime of his career. Why wouldn't he?

The fact is, if the Pats don't have the room to pay him a decent amount of money, he's leaving. You don't think Cleveland would pay him a hell of a lot more money with Crennel as their coach? It sure as hell would be a lot more than $500,000, and they are well enough under the current cap to do so. The Pats are not.

I think you underestimate the value of a clutch kicker. I'm sure Headache would've loved having him in that Giants game up in Seattle last year! I sure don't want him to go, and I'm hoping this salary cap crap gets fixed so the Pats can take care of him in a realistic manner. But if you are a Pats fan like I am and think we'll be fine without him, even if he's just a kicker, well I think you're totally wrong there.

the Pats actually offered two million dollars a year to vinatieri last week and he turned it down.

Pretty much any team would kill for a clutch kicker. Look at how many playoff games have been decided by the kicker - Scott Norwood anyone?

StlElevation said:
the Pats actually offered two million dollars a year to vinatieri last week and he turned it down.

If they had franchised him, it would have been $3 million this year.

I don't think the Pats mind paying him that much, considering there are a couple of kickers (Rackers, Akers) making more than that - I just think they want to structure the contract so it is more cap friendly, whereas franchising him wouldn't have done that.

But of course, the Pats can't proceed with doing that until the salary cap issue has been resolved. I think if a deal is reached and the amount goes up like it is projected to, then a new contract with Vinatieri will happen.

phanan said:

I think you underestimate the value of a clutch kicker.But if you are a Pats fan like I am and think we'll be fine without him, even if he's just a kicker, well I think you're totally wrong there.

There is no way I underestimate the value of a clutch kicker. My point was that he is just that-a kicker. Yes a damn fine one but kickers are not known to make the millions that otehr palyers do. Vinateri was offered a five year ten million dollar deal and turned it down. How much more a year does he think he is going to get? One million maybe? My point was that he is where he is because of the Pats team as a whole. He is not going to go into Cleveland/Dallas/Indy and be the second coming and win every game for them. I also believe that the Pats will be just fine without him. There is not a chance in hell that Belechick would let him go for a million or two more if he felt that he was needed. What did he do this past year? Not a hell of alot-and don't tell me it didn't count b/c we didn't make it to the playoffs. I remember that Superbowl against Jacksonville where he missed two field goals and still won.

Yes he would be missed but I am getting sick and tired of New England players being greedy for a few more dollars and then going no where in their careers.

ljclary said:

Yes he would be missed but I am getting sick and tired of New England players being greedy for a few more dollars and then going no where in their careers.

Is this different from any other pro athlete? Put yourself in his shoes, wouldn't you want to make the most money you can?

Look at it this way, if you've been with a company for several years and had a good run, then you would want to be compensated justly. If you could get more money at a new company, wouldn't you persue it or use another job offer as leverage? It's no different than what goes on a your workplace or my workplace.

Oh randhail definately I understand that point. It doesn't stop me from being sick of it however. Look at Milloy or Law-where did the extra money get them? No where....career wise. (although I did see LAw's house on cribs and it is a beauty) I is just disheartening to see it happen. When you are a kicker just how much more are you going to make. And with the endorsements will he really make more? I don't know.
And by the way I do usually speak from the heart.

He missed two field goals in that Super Bowl, but made the one that counted the most.

As for this year, it was the 10th straight year he's hit 100 points. Only one other kicker has done that - ever. It wasn't as flashy of a year for him, but he's consistent, and that's what you want in a kicker. He's gonna do the same job no matter where he goes.

I think averaging $3 million a year for five years would get it done, yes. And he wouldn't even be the highest paid kicker then, but with the endorsements he gets around here, that difference would be made up easily.

Back
Top Bottom