Husker Du

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Sad Punk

Blue Crack Addict
My all-time favourite band. Did anyone ever catch them in the eighties, or are you a more recent fan? Seen any of Bob Mould's new shows? Sugar and Nova Mob fans welcome too, though I'd like this to be mostly a discussion of the Husker albums.

I'd be really pleased if I could find someone else who listens to them as well as U2, I feel like I'm the only one. :eyebrow:

The 1st Sugar record is perfect.

Beaster is pretty good as well.

I only have 1 HD record, and it has that song "Makes No Sense At All", which I like.

Zen Arcade, New Day Rising, Candy Apple Grey are all awesome. Warehouse is great too (if you skip over the Grant Hart songs--OUCH!). I agree with the above statement about Copper Blue--in my opinion it's one of the greatest albums I've ever heard. Not a weak track. One of my most prized musical possessions is one of a limited edition set of Copper Blue "copper packs", which all had polaroids taken by Bob. I was lucky enough to meet Bob (totally mellow and nice) and get it signed.

I saw a few Sugar shows (two on the Beaster tour), and they were absolutely hardcore amazing. So much rawer than on the albums. That bonus live disc that came with the special edition of Besides is testament to that fact.

I also like most of Bob's solo stuff, particularly Black Sheets, Workbook and Last D & P Show. Haven't heard the new one and stayed away from Modulate.

My latest obsession. I've got the last five Husker records in some form or another - haven't heard Land Speed Record, In a Free Land, etc. I've had Warehouse on repeat the past couple weeks, but Flip Your Wig is still my absolute favorite.

Sometimes I feel like a bit of a poser because I occasionally prefer Grant's songs to Bob's - is that OK or am I not supposed to? I do have a couple of Bob's solo stuff (Last Dog and Pony Show, as well as the new one) though, and like them a lot. I'd really like to get into Sugar. Any recommendations?

The Sad Punk. A Pixies reference? I'm a Husker Du fan as far back as 85' but didn't see them before they broke up. As Lazarus mentioned (and you already know), they've got some fantastic albums. My personal favorites are Zen Arcade, New Day Rising and Candy Apple Grey. That was quite a run of quality music.
I'm currently enjoying Bob Mould's latest, Body of Song, and also liked Workbook and Black Sheets of Rain.

Yes, it is a Pixies referance, well done. :)

Flip Your Wig is also my favourite album of theirs, though the second changes constantly. I'm surprised so many of you have said that you liked Candy Apple Grey, though - most people I know consider it their weakest easily (I'm one of them, but I think both songwriters have some top songs on it: obviously Hardly Getting Over It and Too Far Down for Mould, Sorry Somehow for Hart.)

Barlow, have you heard Bob Mould's '96 self titled? It's probably the most Sugar-esque out of all of them, and also my favourite. I'm also a fan of Workbook and a few tracks on Pony Show, trying to get into Body of Song. Never listened to Modulate either.

Frankly, I think Grant Hart's "Intolerance" is the best post-Husker Du album by any of the members, in a band or solo. I recommend you get it if you haven't. Don't feel bad Alia - while the likes of "Celebrated Summer" and "Find Me" are certainly some of my favourite tracks, I'm more of a Grant Hart fan in total, especially on FYW. I also think he's the better songwriter on Zen Arcade, funnily enough.

Despite all this, "In a Free Land" is their essential track, to me anyway.

The Sad Punk said:
Yes, it is a Pixies referance, well done. :)

Flip Your Wig is also my favourite album of theirs, though the second changes constantly. I'm surprised so many of you have said that you liked Candy Apple Grey, though - most people I know consider it their weakest easily (I'm one of them, but I think both songwriters have some top songs on it: obviously Hardly Getting Over It and Too Far Down for Mould, Sorry Somehow for Hart.)

Barlow, have you heard Bob Mould's '96 self titled? It's probably the most Sugar-esque out of all of them, and also my favourite. I'm also a fan of Workbook and a few tracks on Pony Show, trying to get into Body of Song. Never listened to Modulate either.

Frankly, I think Grant Hart's "Intolerance" is the best post-Husker Du album by any of the members, in a band or solo. I recommend you get it if you haven't. Don't feel bad Alia - while the likes of "Celebrated Summer" and "Find Me" are certainly some of my favourite tracks, I'm more of a Grant Hart fan in total, especially on FYW. I also think he's the better songwriter on Zen Arcade, funnily enough.

Despite all this, "In a Free Land" is their essential track, to me anyway.

I have not heard Mould's '96 self titled record. After Black Sheets, I kind of lost touch with what Bob was doing. I was probably getting away from some of my 80's influences and listening to newer bands. Archers of Loaf and Sebadoh were (and are) huge favorites. I've decided I need to make a Husker Du mix. Need to go back and listen to Flip Your Wig as I haven't heard it for years.
And you've inspired me to check out Grant Hart's "Intolerance." If you get the opportunity, the latest issue of Magnet has a cover story on the 80's Minneapolis scene; Husker Du and The Replacements are featured.

Back
Top Bottom