Hung, Thailand Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm just as excited, if not moreso, that they did MOTD again.

MOTHERS OF THE DISAPPEARED, people. Mercy's exciting and all, but it's not one of the best album closers U2 ever recorded.

I've only listened to it a couple of times ... must admit it hasn't really stood out to me. I just wish they'd do it and North Star full band!

I was never all that taken with Mercy. It sounded quite good live though.

Then again, I didn't really give it a chance. I listened to it once and was all like "why is everyone fapping over this?"
that's exactly what I did. "Wow, this is Mercy. Whoopty-shit. Imma go listen to Discotheque nao, k?"

Gotta study. :sigh: I have passed the practice exam four times but I'm still so unsure of the subject, I am terrified of failing the real thing.

By the way, Triple J's resident nerd hung all sorts of shit on U2 this morning, and the Spiderman musical. Something about how U2 is music for people who don't like music... *L*

Apparently one of the songs has been previewed, and the nerd guy thought it was pretty bad, and mentioned lyrics involving freeing your heart and flying too close to the sun and getting burned.

Cool story, bro...?

That's JJJ for you, the hipster radio station. Remember when posted that RYM parody thing of JJJ? Yeah, he was right.

I'm just as excited, if not moreso, that they did MOTD again.

MOTHERS OF THE DISAPPEARED, people. Mercy's exciting and all, but it's not one of the best album closers U2 ever recorded.

Nice to see MOTD keep on floating back in and ever.

MOTD! :hyper:

What's Every Breaking Wave like?

Brilliance.

zomg must check mercy

It's funny how they've stripped down Mercy a bit.

I clearly haven't been struck by Every Breaking Wave the same way as you, Vlad. It doesn't stick out in my mind at all, certainly not as the amazing classic its mystique indicates it is. Sounded surprisingly incomplete to me for a song that was meant to have nearly made the album, like the band were still figuring it out, especially the end. It needs an ending.

We'll never really know until they play it full band. For me acoustic versions don't give enough away, with bass and drums (+ studio atmospherics) it'd be a different animal.

They did rehearse North Star full band, and from what I could hear it sounded very nice.

Yeah, I always said Mercy needed a bit of judicious editing, but cutting the "ripping the stitches" pre-chorus is not what I had in mind! Will be interested to see if it changes much over subsequent live performances, like how Glasto's gone through a few changes.

Got to listen to the full band North Star. Last time I checked, Matt hadn't uploaded it but I know it's there now. Been busy working this afternoon, mentally wrestling with infuriating 1840s New Zealand newspaper editors and their self-contradictory opinions.

Yeah, I always said Mercy needed a bit of judicious editing, but cutting the "ripping the stitches" pre-chorus is not what I had in mind! Will be interested to see if it changes much over subsequent live performances, like how Glasto's gone through a few changes.

Got to listen to the full band North Star. Last time I checked, Matt hadn't uploaded it but I know it's there now. Been busy working this afternoon, mentally wrestling with infuriating 1840s New Zealand newspaper editors and their self-contradictory opinions.

Yeah, was one of the best parts of the earlier version. On the other hand, the guitar solo seems stronger than the earlier one which sounded, weak.

Can't find the full band North Star... Mercy's new chorus isn't as good as the old one IMO, I'd almost they leave the prechorus in and vastly shorten the chorus.

On the other hand, the guitar solo seems stronger than the earlier one which sounded, weak.

I'll agree with this!

And huh, Matt said full band North Star was going on YouTube ... I think his uploads might have died while he was asleep and not everything from Zurich II is up yet. It was all going fine when I checked around 11am, but nothing's gone up since UTEOTW and things were meant to.

I'll agree with this!

And huh, Matt said full band North Star was going on YouTube ... I think his uploads might have died while he was asleep and not everything from Zurich II is up yet. It was all going fine when I checked around 11am, but nothing's gone up since UTEOTW and things were meant to.

The guitar solo sounded kind of unfinished though... very improvised.

Ah, turns out the North Star full band rehearsal upload to YouTube did fail in the night ... Matt says he's going to upload it later.

i am. but on this occasion it was impossible to avoid.

Given the spoilers you know already from Europe, is there really much point avoiding any more? I mean, if they're going to make any earth-shattering changes at this stage, it'll be at the Auckland gigs before the Melbourne shows, and those should be fairly easy to avoid, rather than going spoiler-free for the better part of three months.

I'll agree with this!

:hi5:

Ah, turns out the North Star full band rehearsal upload to YouTube did fail in the night ... Matt says he's going to upload it later.

Good on Matt. Got to appreciate the work he does. I bet by now he's tired of U2. :laugh:

What did you all think of full band NS?

Given the spoilers you know already from Europe, is there really much point avoiding any more? I mean, if they're going to make any earth-shattering changes at this stage, it'll be at the Auckland gigs before the Melbourne shows, and those should be fairly easy to avoid, rather than going spoiler-free for the better part of three months.

we'll see what happens. NSW went on hiatus in anticipation of his show, and thus didn't know Ultraviolet and TUF had found their way into the setlist and his mind was blown. it made me feel guilty. :lol:

the one thing i am slightly worried about at the moment is that i'm currently going to 3 shows, so that's probably 18 or so songs i'll hear 3 times, i just fear by the third gig it won't feel as special as it did in 06.

And today I realised that a poster on Interference is a very prominent poster on BigFooty (and it's not me), talk about putting together the puzzles, eh? :shifty:

Back
Top Bottom