Humpybong State Infants School, Margate, Brisbane, QLD, Australia Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't posted in here much lately, so I have no frame of reference for Alzheimer's Dog.
Alzheimer's Dog is my 13-year-old Yorkie Terrier who likely has some form of dog Alzheimer's.

I've spent the past five minutes wondering what a humpybong would look like and I've determined it's probably unsanitary.

Time for bed. :wave:

What is this jangly music you speak of? I can only imagine it consisting of windchimes, bells and castanets.

What is this jangly music you speak of? I can only imagine it consisting of windchimes, bells and castanets.

Look up jangle pop, or better yet, get some (preferably from the Dunedin Sound). Everybody should have the album Submarine Bells by The Chills.

I am proud to see that there's a Кино album included in that chart. :up:

Custom chart - Rate Your Music

I need to hear those House of Love albums, unfortunate covers aside. Outside of that two, not an awful effort on my part though: I've heard 23 out of the top 50.

I've been meaning to get around to The House Of Love for ages.

I've heard less than you from that chart primarily due to my intense dislike for Morrissey.

At the palais theatre to see the national... Bit worried that EVERYTHING is seated! I realise their music is more intimate but I might get lynched if I stand up. Awkward

People will stand up during Abel, Mr. November and the like. But they'll be assholes to you if you choose to remain standing during the new stuff. That's the problem with not going GA. Regardless, I do honestly prefer seats. However, being dry-humped by 700 people in a Cut Copy pit was not nearly as unpleasant as it sounds. It all depends on the band, I suppose.

I think you'll have a terrific time regardless. I've seen The National both GA and seated, and the difference is pretty minimal, considering the kind of music they play. I preferred the atmosphere of the seated indoor gig, but it would have muted the rockers, had there been any (it was a pretty soft set for them).

I'm off to bed, got to be up in 5 hours. :wave:

The Palais is a lovely venue, and great to see things you'd normally see sitting down (i.e. stage productions, comedians), but I'm not a fan for concerts. I just find it awkward and very detached. Not a gig if you're not standing.

I'm having an early night, see you folks later. :wave:

The Palais is a lovely venue, and great to see things you'd normally see sitting down (i.e. stage productions, comedians), but I'm not a fan for concerts. I just find it awkward and very detached. Not a gig if you're not standing.

Depends on the concert, I find. If it's something mellow then I don't mind sitting. One of my co-workers however went to see Arctic Monkeys there; why anyone thought that the venue and the band would be a good match is beyond me.

:fuckyeah!:

I can't believe we haven't been here yet.

I thought we'd been to Humpybong Esplanade, but it seems I was mistaken... or else it never existed and I hallucinated the whole thing. :lol:

s640x480

I'm not sure why, but this one in particular caught my eye. They're all gorgeous shots, but something about the light and the composition makes this amazing. :up:

This is a sample for Alison:

s640x480

:drool:
That looks a lot like some of the rocks around Castlemaine (and that road cutting we went through on the way back to Melb yesterday), so that could be Silurian or Ordovician fine-grained sandstone, or maybe siltstone. Shallow marine setting, at least. Either way... :drool:

[...] We also got a slow cooker, a blender with lots of buttons,

Buttons! Yay!! :hyper:

Sounds like you had a great shower, though! :up:

As far as my photos go, I did this folder earlier ... the photography is somewhat less remarkable, mainly thanks to weather conditions (and that we couldn't stop some places, so some pictures are from-a-car quality; not too bad all things considered), but you'll never guess which band I like: Waikato and the King Country

I don't remember Neil singing "Gypsy van?" ..... :scratch:

:wink:

Depends on the concert, I find. If it's something mellow then I don't mind sitting. One of my co-workers however went to see Arctic Monkeys there; why anyone thought that the venue and the band would be a good match is beyond me.

Gack, that boggles the mind, all right. :huh: It was weird enough seeing Peter Hook & co. there... I think by and large the crowd there only stands up at the end to give a standing ovation (if then). There were a few people dancing around for John Farnham towards the end, unless I was imagining that. At any rate, there were a few people running up the front to shake his hand while he was singing, anyway!

:hasneverdonethis:

:shifty:

... It was a long time ago, and in the Tennis Centre, all right?? :p

I have to concur with Alison here, this is lovely. And rocky beaches are my favourite so I like the other shots too.

I'm going to Tassie again later this month for my cousin's 21st, so I may do an old fashioned picspam after that if you want to tag team - hopefully of old buildings and mountains and things rather than drunk relatives. Also, I have to have a connector flight to Sydney on the way back, can you believe that? Stopping in Melbourne is okay, but Sydney seems a little out of the way, I dunno.

Tasmania is very photogenic! Looking fwd to Tassie/NZ picspam. :up:

I was writing out a birthday card for a friend at work just before, and it is very sparkly... suffice it to say that glitter has entered my life, again. :crack:

:wave:

At the palais theatre to see the national... Bit worried that EVERYTHING is seated! I realise their music is more intimate but I might get lynched if I stand up. Awkward

People will stand up during Abel, Mr. November and the like. But they'll be assholes to you if you choose to remain standing during the new stuff. That's the problem with not going GA. Regardless, I do honestly prefer seats. However, being dry-humped by 700 people in a Cut Copy pit was not nearly as unpleasant as it sounds. It all depends on the band, I suppose.

I would have done GA but there literally is none. All seated. Fuck seats.

I think you'll have a terrific time regardless. I've seen The National both GA and seated, and the difference is pretty minimal, considering the kind of music they play. I preferred the atmosphere of the seated indoor gig, but it would have muted the rockers, had there been any (it was a pretty soft set for them).

I'm off to bed, got to be up in 5 hours. :wave:

I'm having an early night, see you folks later. :wave:

i needn't have worried. Matt Berninger came into the crowd and stood on the seats during the third song and 95-99% of the crowd stood for the rest of the show. i was so happy. even though yet again i seemed to be right in the middle of a bunch of stand-there-and-do-nothings.

THIS is for axver (and other CH fans i spose):

YouTube - Boy and Bear - Fall At Your Feet (Crowded House cover)

this is Aussie band Boy and Bear covering Fall at Your Feet, one of my favourite Crowdies songs. AND THE BLIND TRIPLE J FANS think this is the greatest thing to happen to music. ax i know you think the original is CH-by-numbers (i disagree) but this is not even better, let alone it being one of the songs of the year (i expect it will feature very prominently in the hottest 100). i think this version uses less of the lyrics and the music changes spontaneously about three times.

I actually quite like that Boy And Bear cover, although it's not vote-worthy (I tend not to think covers are in general).

I was amused to note that the joke songs from the Blow Parade are up for voting, though! *L*

I'm having trouble thinking of any show I've seen where I would've wanted a seat ... maybe some ambient post-rock stuff, but even that's better standing up in a small club, milling by the stage and watching all the effects pedal trickery.

If you want a weird scheduling decision, try Dream Theater at the Palais. Prog metal?! Baffling. There was even a ban on standing for people seated in the few rows of the balcony closest to the edge. But I guess if you don't want to play Festy Hall and you aren't big enough to move onto Hisense, doing a couple of shows at the Palais is the easy way to satisfy demand rather than tying yourself up for three or four nights at a smaller venue.

I have to concur with Alison here, this is lovely. And rocky beaches are my favourite so I like the other shots too.

I'm going to Tassie again later this month for my cousin's 21st, so I may do an old fashioned picspam after that if you want to tag team - hopefully of old buildings and mountains and things rather than drunk relatives. Also, I have to have a connector flight to Sydney on the way back, can you believe that? Stopping in Melbourne is okay, but Sydney seems a little out of the way, I dunno.

Thanks! Honestly, there are so many photos in that folder that I've started to forget which are the best.

Ooh, I'd love to see some stuff from Tassie - still haven't had a chance to go there! Would most certainly be up for a Tassie/NZ picspam sort of thing. I'm going to New Zealand for five days later this month so may well have more material too. Luckily, we don't have a mystifying Sydney stopover on the way. :wink:

this is Aussie band Boy and Bear covering Fall at Your Feet, one of my favourite Crowdies songs. AND THE BLIND TRIPLE J FANS think this is the greatest thing to happen to music. ax i know you think the original is CH-by-numbers (i disagree) but this is not even better, let alone it being one of the songs of the year (i expect it will feature very prominently in the hottest 100). i think this version uses less of the lyrics and the music changes spontaneously about three times.

I think my opinion's probably somewhere between yours and Alison's ... decent cover within the realm of its own style, not got a finger on the original and I don't get anybody fapping over it. Neil's clearly got the better voice, all other things aside.

Ahh, memories ... just going through and annotating more photos from last year and this has got to be one of my favourite roads in the world.

I'd like to emphasise that this unsealed road is STATE HIGHWAY 43:

s640x480

Unfortunately, we didn't get onto SH 43 until the late afternoon, and by the time we got to good photography points, it was early evening (in winter, so y'know, all too soon) and taking decent photos was a nightmare. Looking back on it, I should've just set up my tripod and got some really good shots ... I could've even set it up on the road, it was that quiet. But we didn't want to stop for too long as we had a long way to go before reaching any town of sufficient size to have so much as a motel.

:wave: Morning Folks.

Ax, are you going along to Queens Of The Stone Age with Charlotte? I'm thinking of going, however it sucks so hard that it is on a Thursday night!

:wave: Morning Folks.

Ax, are you going along to Queens Of The Stone Age with Charlotte? I'm thinking of going, however it sucks so hard that it is on a Thursday night!

Yeah, I'll be going, even though I don't know much about them. That Thursday night scheduling is a right spanner in the works for you. See, you need to live in Melbourne. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom