How To Fix The MTV VMAs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
So, the VMAs, as expected, were totally disgusting. And that's sad for someone who remembers when it actually used to be an entertaining show...hasn't been bearable since 1999, hasn't been really entertaining since 1997 maybe, and hasn't been actually great since 1995 and before.

Things MTV needs to do bring the VMAs back to greatness:

1.The most important thing is that they need to restore a better balance to the kind of music presented on the show. They simply CANNOT go on letting the show be 95% hiphop, 2.5% teeny-bopper shit, 2.5% rock. It's just shit. It's not even good hip hop, it's shit-hop. Rock is not dead. There are still plenty of good bands out there, but MTV just refuses to give them airtime anywhere. Granted, a band like Radiohead probably wouldn't come even if they were invited, but still. The effort should be made. Foo Fighters, Beck, Billy Corgan, Audioslave, Bruce Springsteen, Oasis, and Nine Inch Nails are just some of the bands/artists that currently have albums out but were nowhere to be seen on the show(Beck was nominated though). Are all of these people saying no or is MTV just not making the effort to get them? It's just disgusting when all of these acts are passed up to make room for R.Kelly and his opera-sync or Kanye and his equally over-the-top theatrics or the preformances of 50-cent or Kelly Clarkson and the only bearable acts to be seen are Green Day, Coldplay, and The Killers(who weren't that good anyway). I'm not saying get rid of hip-hop from the VMAs all together, but a better balance MUST be restored. 60% pop/rock, 30% hip-hop, 10% everything else(because *GASP* there is music outside of rock and hiphop) would be much better.

2.Don't ever let Puffy/Diddy/whatever the hell his name is ever host ever again. Proved he's a moron. In a more general sense, get better hosts. Stick to comedians as opposed to preformers. They know how to entertain people outside of music better than artsts/band members/hiphoppers do. Diddy was a flat-out embarassment.

3.Move the show back to New York. I don't want to offend anyone that might like or love the city of Miami, but I really don't like it for the VMAs. The idea of being in Miami for the VMAs is all about the 'it's hot' and 'it's sexy' thing(I still don't understand how a city can be sexy), and it promotes the whole hip-hop vibe. If my #1 is to be done, I think the show has to leave Miami, especially since there's no doubt in my mind that MTV brought the show to Miami BECAUSE of the hip-hop vibe. Another thing about the VMAs in Miami is the whole people arriving on their yachts thing...I don't know if this happened this year but I know it did last year. It's over-indulgence plain and simple. It's ego-tripping. It's disgusting. Go back to New York.

4.If you don't do anything and you just let the VMAs continue the way they are, then please change the trophy you're giving out. The moonman is symbolic of an MTV that no longer exists. Sadly.

MrBrau1 said:
I remember when Neil Young and Tom Petty used to win VM awards.

The good old days. They were that good.

I remember too. I remember when Petty and Axl Rose preformed together. I remember when Neil and PJ did 'Rockin' In the Free World' together. Those were the days.

namkcuR said:
(I still don't understand how a city can be sexy),

If you go to Miami... you will understand how a city can be sexy :wink:

As for everything else... I agree with you about the hip-hop stuff. But the truth is, that is most of what they play on MTV (when they play anything at all) so the VMAs are, in general, a representation of the demographic of MTV.

But yeah, I tivo'd the show and watched it back later so I could fast forward and literally all I watched were about 15 mins of the show: Green Day, Coldplay, The Killers, and Dane Cook...

Oh yeah, and I watched the mtv2 award presentation.

This is why I stick to internet radio and this forum :D

The Mtv awards haven't been good since the late 80s early 90s....

Kelly Clarkson beating Gwen Stefani was amusing!

Re: Re: How To Fix The MTV VMAs

hippy said:
As for everything else... I agree with you about the hip-hop stuff. But the truth is, that is most of what they play on MTV (when they play anything at all) so the VMAs are, in general, a representation of the demographic of MTV.

What came first, the chicken or the egg? MTV is appealing the demographic of impressionable middle-school and high-schoolers who think because they hear this shit on the radio that it is good music. Said demographic sees it on MTV and assumes they're right. MTV appeals to said demographic. Around and around we go. This proves that MTV has completely ceased being about music. It's about image and it's about what's 'in'. If MTV were the revolutionary, brave thing it claimed to be in 1981 or even 1991, it would challenge the demographic in question by playing BETTER MUSIC(I know it's all subjective but that line has to be drawn somewhere) and seeing where that goes. I know, I know, pipe dream. Niave. Blah blah.

Re: Re: Re: How To Fix The MTV VMAs

namkcuR said:
MTV is appealing the demographic of impressionable middle-school and high-schoolers who think because they hear this shit on the radio that it is good music. Said demographic sees it on MTV and assumes they're right. MTV appeals to said demographic. Around and around we go. This proves that MTV has completely ceased being about music.

MTV and whatnot were never about the music. They were always about the money in the business of music, then discovered that it was more profitable selling an image than a product. MTV is admirable as a business model and nothing else.

Frankly, I don't think they hide the fact that their target demographic is a bunch of flaky preteens, and most people who bitch about MTV are generally far older than their target demographic.

Anyway, the best thing I can suggest to people is to realize that they've "retired" from MTV and move on to greener, more intellectually stimulating pastures. I dumped mainstream music years ago and have been happier since.

Melon

MTV has always been more about image than music. In a way the song "Video Killed The Radio Star" is very true.

I don't know why Bill Gates or Paul Allen doesn't start up an American music channel as an alternative to MTV and VH1 and actually PLAY music. Hell, even Rupert Murdoch could make a Fox Music Channel.

No VJ's or bullshit, keep it low cost, play videos all day long. Don't you think there is as much of an audience for something like that than there is for the fucking home and garden channel (or whatever)? I think so. Market it to people over the age of 18, and play primarily everything BUT top 40 and country, you might even toss rap and hip-hop in there too for all I care.

The tough sell would be getting it on basic cable packages that most people have. MTV2 is a piece of shit too, people only watch it as an alternative to the other crap. Headbangers Ball, yeah that's cool, I'll watch it now and then, or the rock countdown on MTV2, but in an hour you have about 35 minutes worth of pgramming and 25 minutes of commercials. It's just too saturated to ever be enjoyable.

This is one of the reason why I'm happy that I have both MTV Hits and VH1 Classics...but Music Choice...which has MUCH more stuff than any Music Video Channels (including channels that I said earlier).

MTV really needs to appeal to ALL ages and not just have bubbly crap music and REALLY luke warm "reality" shows like Laguna Beach and Room Raiders (I swear that show is stupidly hilarious!)

I haven't laughed so hard at the MTV Video Music Awards in such a long time (until now) ... :lol:
I rather enjoy VH-1's Music Awards alot more ... most of the time, I'd say they're much better than MTV !! :wink:

step 1: burn down MTV.
step 2: shoot bands.
step 3: keep an eye out for anyone looking to start up a VMA part 2, and kill them.

I don't think anyone takes those awards seriously, I don't

so I'd say

teach fiddy cent that it's medley not melody

get John Norris some new hair

less boobage and posing/ posers

take into consideration that people over 30 do still listen to music, not that people over 30 don't listen to that type of music..but still

I only popped in and out of watching it, for me it's unwatchable

MrsSpringsteen said:
I don't think anyone takes those awards seriously, I don't

so I'd say

teach fiddy cent that it's medley not melody

get John Norris some new hair

less boobage and posing/ posers

take into consideration that people over 30 do still listen to music, not that people over 30 don't listen to that type of music..but still

I only popped in and out of watching it, for me it's unwatchable

Eventually someone has to realise people 30 and older do listen to music. And they have alot more $ to spend than a 16 yr old girl.

That's what VH1 tried to target before, but they seem to have given up.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I say everyone on interference chip in and we'll start our own Music Station.

I think that's a good idea :up:.

I listen to rap music from time to time and do enjoy some of it. But I agree, there really needs to be more of a balance in genres. And yeah, P. Diddy (or Diddy...:rolleyes:...) shouldn't host anymore.

As I said in another thread, I have a show about the uncensored history of the VMAs on some tape, and I like watching the little medley of the artists that had appeared on there. They had some really good artists on there over the years...I wish I'd seen some of those earlier awards shows, but alas, I was either too little (the awards show started going the year I was born), or there was a time when our cable company stopped carrying MTV, so while I was old enough to pay more attention, I didn't get to see any of what MTV was doing then. And by the time we got the channel back in our lineup, it wasn't as good :(.

Also...

U2MaNaIcWeIdO said:
This is one of the reason why I'm happy that I have both MTV Hits and VH1 Classics...but Music Choice...

VH1 Classic and Music Choice...:bow: :drool: :D.

Angela

It was like watching the freakin BET awards or something. I remember when Soundgarden won best metal video award and Cornell said "but I thought we were supposed to be grunge". And when Pearl Jam and Neil Young played on stage together and McCready's guitar wouldn't work and he smashed it to pieces at the end of the set. THE GOOD OLD FREAKIN DAYS OF TRUE ROCK N ROLL. PLEASE BRING ROCK BACK!!! IT REALLY IS DEAD :sad:

MrBrau1 said:
Eventually someone has to realise people 30 and older do listen to music. And they have alot more $ to spend than a 16 yr old girl.

That's what VH1 tried to target before, but they seem to have given up.

That's because the advertising world sees 30 year olds and such as "inflexible." You're now more cynical and set in your ways, and you won't create or change brand loyalty based on a cheesy commercial.

Teenagers, on the other hand, are seen as "dumb" and "impulsive," so the hope is that it will translate to buying their product.

Melon

melon said:

That's because the advertising world sees 30 year olds and such as "inflexible." You're now more cynical and set in your ways, and you won't create or change brand loyalty based on a cheesy commercial.

Teenagers, on the other hand, are seen as "dumb" and "impulsive," so the hope is that it will translate to buying their product.

Melon

This is a drawn-out way of saying that teens are less likely to think for themselves and more like to mindlessly follow whatever the current trend, the 'in' thing, is. Sort of what Nirvana's immortal 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' was all about.

U2 got beat by Green Day and Gorillaz, nuff said...

The only music awards to me are the Grammys

i think it's soooo sad the celebrities who are already rich and well off get gift backs for FREE that are filled with $26,000+ worth of goodies. that could feed a third world country instead!!

anyways, i liked it a lot better in 2002 when JIMMY FALLON hosted it. gosh, i love that guy.

The problem with the VMA's is that MTV and MTV 2 no longer air music videos.

The music video really is a lost art form now-days.

To fix the VMA's you need to start with MTV itself.

There are MTV channels that air videos but the problem is, is that not everyone gets these channels. I get them, but I only get MTV jams which is Hip hop and R&B 24/7, I also get MTV Hits and that's really no different than MTV Jams and MTV espanol.

tuwie said:
i think it's soooo sad the celebrities who are already rich and well off get gift backs for FREE that are filled with $26,000+ worth of goodies. that could feed a third world country instead!!

Do understand that that $26,000+ would only materialize if these celebrities sold their goodies. The cost of manufacturing these "goodies" is substantially lower. And, of course, companies give them away for free, because they hope that the aforementioned celebrities will be shown wearing their product in the media and then boost their sales amongst paying customers.

It's quite contorted logic at face value.

Melon

MacPhistoPT said:
Only killing all those awful rappers and those poppy-rocky annoying teens.
i hope you're joking, because that's a terrible thing to say.

Back
Top Bottom