How to complete the REM collection?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which do I need to buy first?

• Chronic Town

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Murmur

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Reckoning

• Fables of the Reconstruction

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Life's Rich Pageant

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Document

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Dead Letter Office

• Total voters
I have a best of (sue me) featuring songs from all these albums, and I enjoy the Lifes (eat the apostrophe) Rich Pageant songs the best, so I'll have to go with that.

Aaaaahhh yes, an REM question. I LOVE them and would be happy to give my 2 cents. I say Murmur, for two reasons. One, it is their first, so it's a good starting off point. Second, it is AMAZING and it is regarded by fans and critics alike as one of the greatest debut albums ever.

It is my second favorite REM album, right after Life's Rich Pageant which I would recommend getting second. It has a raw energy and spirit that you won't find on any of their albums before or since.

And I know you're not asking, but then I would say check out some newer stuff, Automatic, Green, Monster, Up, etc...

Can't miss with Murmur and Document.

I voted for Murmur though, I like the first 2 albums a lot...

Murmur

with Document in a very very very close second place

Life's Rich Pageant, people, come on!

LRP is like Murmur, except better. It's like they made Murmur, kind of scratched their heads, and said, "You know, this is really fucking good, but we can do better." So they sobered up, took lots of long walks, went vegan, and came back and made Life's Rich Pageant. And it was good.

Angel said:
I only have 90's REM, and their latest release. Am I missing something? :scratch:

If I had to make a choice between their early stuff, and all of their later stuff, I'd choose the early albums.

Murmur is probably still their most critically acclaimed album, followed by Document and Automatic for the People.

Last edited:
u2popmofo said:
Murmur is probably still their most critically acclaimed album, followed by Document and Automatic for the People.
umm, no
well at least over here Out of Time is their most critically acclaimed album

Salome said:
umm, no
well at least over here Out of Time is their most critically acclaimed album

www.allmusic.com

That's my favorite rating site.

I've really never seen anything that has ever rated Out of Time as a great album though, that's just me.

Well, thank y'all very much for voting and I'd like you to know that I bought Document this afternoon. I know Murmur came in first but they didn't have it. :angry:

Anyway, just wait untill I have some more cash again and then I will invite you all for another poll in which you can distribute your votes amongst the other albums. Or I could just buy Murmur instead. :shrug:

Oasis .... stealing ..... ???
NEVER !!!!!
(the line is from a poem or something though)

buy Fables of the Reconstruction if you know what's good for you :angry:

DrTeeth said:
Aha, so oasis stole the "Standing on the shoulders of giants" phrase :hmm:

King of Birds is one of my favorite REM songs.

No, Oasis didnt steal a commonly used phrase from REM.

Back
Top Bottom