how often do you cook your own dinner...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My husband cooks every night except for one when we get take out so he has a night off. But he does it because he enjoys it. Also he gets home from work 3 hours earlier than I do, so it works out good for us. He also does all the grocery shopping since he's the cook. I love it.

anitram said:
it saves a whole lot of money when you buy yourself a pound of lentils for 69 cents and it lasts you forever. Great meal too.

lentils are like magical beans! you can make so many dishes with them. :drool: curry lentils and rice are one of my fav meals to cook, and it can last for days!

redhotswami said:

lentils are like magical beans! you can make so many dishes with them. :drool: curry lentils and rice are one of my fav meals to cook, and it can last for days!

Yes yes! I :heart: lentils. They are so versatile and healthy and cheap! Speaking of lentil dishes, have you tried kusherie? Egyptian lentil/rice dish with tomato sauce, browned onions and yogurt on top. :drool: High quality protein without meat. :D

Like I said before, I usually don't cook, but last night I baked homemade enchiladas, 7-layer chip dip, and cookies. Today I'm out sick with a migraine. :hmm:

what were the 7-layers Lies? sounds tasty. I wonder if cooking is a reasonable excuse to not go to work? "Sorry, I cooked way too much last night...." :lol: :hmm: (sorry about your migraine though!)

we made homemade pizza during halftime last night--pepperoni, onions, green peppers. it was good :drool:

I told Ernie I was making chicken caesar salad tonight, and he called me Grandma. :angry: He said that it's February in Michigan, I should make something warm like stew. Apparently, a cold salad in the winter is something his grandma would do.

Well, I already bought the stuff, so I'm gonna compromise and make soup to go with it. :wink:

i think i'll make some zuppa toscana soup tonight. its easy and very good.

U2Girl416 said:
what were the 7-layers Lies? sounds tasty. I wonder if cooking is a reasonable excuse to not go to work? "Sorry, I cooked way too much last night...." :lol: :hmm: (sorry about your migraine though!)

9x13 pan, bottom to top:

1 can refried beans
3 avocadoes, mashed, w/ 1/2 packet taco seasoning
sour cream
diced onion
diced tomato
sliced black olives
shredded cojack cheese

sulawesigirl4 said:

Yes yes! I :heart: lentils. They are so versatile and healthy and cheap! Speaking of lentil dishes, have you tried kusherie? Egyptian lentil/rice dish with tomato sauce, browned onions and yogurt on top. :drool: High quality protein without meat. :D

OMG no I have not, but it sounds amazing!!! I'll have to cook it up next time.

sulawesigirl4 said:

That sounds awesome! I'll have to bypass the yogurt (lactose intolerant), but the rest sounds heavenly.

Kusherie Recipe
(from my beloved More-with-Less Cookbook: suggestions by Mennonites on how to eat better and consume less of the world's limited food resources)

Rice and lentils:
Heat in heavy saucepan or covered skillet:
2 T. oil
Add:
1 1/4 cup lentils
Brown lentils over medium heat 5 minutes, stirring often.
Add:
3 cups boiling water or stock (stock gets my vote, more flavor)
1 t. salt
dash of pepper

Cook uncovered 10 minutes over medium heat.
Stir in:
1 1/2 cups rice
1 cup boiling water or stock

Sauce:
In a saucepan, heat together:
3/4 cup tomato paste
3 cups tomato juice, tomato sauce or pureed tomatoes
1 green pepper, chopped
chopped celery leaves
1 T. sugar
1/2 t. salt
1 t. cumin
1/4 t. cayenne pepper or crushed chilis to taste

Bring sauce to boiling, reduce heat, and simmer 20-30 minutes

Browned onions:
Heat in small skillet:
2 T. oil
Saute over medium heat until brown:
3 onions, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced

To serve, put rice-lentil mixture on a platter. Pour tomato sauce over. Top with browned onions. (and if you are me, throw a dollop of yogurt on top of all that!). :drool:

It may look complicated, but it's actually really easy. You can make all 3 of the "parts" pretty much concurrently so that they are ready at the same time. By the way, when I lived in Mali we used to hang out with one of the Egyptian diplomats who worked at the embassy and I made this for his birthday dinner. It got his seal of approval for "authenticity". :D Enjoy!

sulawesigirl4 said:
Kusherie Recipe
(from my beloved More-with-Less Cookbook: suggestions by Mennonites on how to eat better and consume less of the world's limited food resources)

Rice and lentils:
Heat in heavy saucepan or covered skillet:
2 T. oil
Add:
1 1/4 cup lentils
Brown lentils over medium heat 5 minutes, stirring often.
Add:
3 cups boiling water or stock (stock gets my vote, more flavor)
1 t. salt
dash of pepper

Cook uncovered 10 minutes over medium heat.
Stir in:
1 1/2 cups rice
1 cup boiling water or stock

Sauce:
In a saucepan, heat together:
3/4 cup tomato paste
3 cups tomato juice, tomato sauce or pureed tomatoes
1 green pepper, chopped
chopped celery leaves
1 T. sugar
1/2 t. salt
1 t. cumin
1/4 t. cayenne pepper or crushed chilis to taste

Bring sauce to boiling, reduce heat, and simmer 20-30 minutes

Browned onions:
Heat in small skillet:
2 T. oil
Saute over medium heat until brown:
3 onions, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced

To serve, put rice-lentil mixture on a platter. Pour tomato sauce over. Top with browned onions. (and if you are me, throw a dollop of yogurt on top of all that!). :drool:

It may look complicated, but it's actually really easy. You can make all 3 of the "parts" pretty much concurrently so that they are ready at the same time. By the way, when I lived in Mali we used to hang out with one of the Egyptian diplomats who worked at the embassy and I made this for his birthday dinner. It got his seal of approval for "authenticity". :D Enjoy!

thank you soooo much! :hug:

I made meatloaf, mashed potatoes with gravy, corn, and biscuits last night. The best part of making this meal is that there are enough leftovers for Ernie and I to both take lunch to work the next day. :drool:

^ I had meatloaf, mashed potatoes and gravy last night too! We had broccoli with it.

I make dinner about 4-5 nights a week. We eat out or order in on the weekends.

I make my own dinner every night.

Tonight was leftover birthday cake, so that was a beautiful exception to the crap I usually put together.

How do people have the energy to cook every night! 1st the cooking thent the dishes, uurgh. I work in retail so I run around for 9 hrs a day with a litttle break in the middle. The last thing I want to do is stand over the stove/sink. I actually bought a stool to sit on for cooking but it didn't really help. I need a Mum to come and cook for me :(

cinnaminson said:
How do people have the energy to cook every night! 1st the cooking thent the dishes, uurgh.

I only wash the dishes when I run out of clean ones. :shifty: :D

Nearly every night. Always something fresh, have a healthy amount of of salads and fish during the week. Got into that habit living in Spain.

Rarely eat out, we were out twice over the last month - once for a wedding and the other time for a birthday (at a sushi place :drool: )

cinnaminson said:
How do people have the energy to cook every night! 1st the cooking thent the dishes, uurgh. I work in retail so I run around for 9 hrs a day with a litttle break in the middle. The last thing I want to do is stand over the stove/sink. I actually bought a stool to sit on for cooking but it didn't really help. I need a Mum to come and cook for me :(

fear. ok, not everyone is as paranoid as me, but i fear processed foods, and i fear what other people do to food when eating out. i'd rather eat cereal at home than eat a good dinner out. i can't handle the thought of a stranger's fingers having been on my food.

i think the hurdle for cooking is a psychological one for many people. you can teach yourself to love it.

ps: dishwashers
:reject:

cinnaminson said:
How do people have the energy to cook every night! 1st the cooking thent the dishes, uurgh.

Actually, what I've tried doing is to make up a rough menu for the next week, thinking of ways that I can use things I already have in my kitchen along with stuff I can buy to make several meals. Then on Saturday or Sunday, go grocery shopping and spend a few hours cutting things up, prepping and cooking. If you make a casserole or two, you can freeze it or put it in the fridge and have dinner ready to go when you get home from work without all the work. :)

cinnaminson said:

I don't really like eating out. :slant:
I don't eat much meat so I always pick the same kind of meal. Not only that but eating out here is either really expensive.

My Mum bought us a steamer a few weeks ago and it's great. All you have to do is throw the food in there and set the timer, it will alert you when the food is done. It does all the work. Steamed salmon. :drool:
Last year when I worked at night I used to eat a lot of salads. I usually chop up peppers and red onion in the morning or the night before, wash a few leaves and when I get home I can throw in some chicken or just eat it with fish like salmon or tuna.
I also put a lot of things in the freezer and fridge, like Sula says, so minimal cooking was required during the week.

Yesterday I made jasmine rice and lemon pepper fillets of pollock. Fish. :drool:

I do like eating out, but mostly because then I can go to fun ethnic restaurants and have food I don't normally make at home.

cinnaminson said:

That's why some nights I say to heck with it and get a pizza. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom