How far is too far? Boys I ask your opinion...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zooropamanda

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Boys, tell me..
Ive just seen the new Christina Aguelera(however its spelt) video and am a lil curious..
Im no prude but does a skinny girl in teeny red underpants jumping around throwing her legs in the air while singing, do it for you?
Do any of you find that attractive?
Before she's just looked a bit silly fashion wise cause she has no clue but this one...man, i dont get it.

This isnt commenting about her cred or what she does in her spare time, i dont give a damn, im just curious to see if any guys find the teeny red knicker thing in your face attractive?
There's a difference between sexy, flaunting it and straight up getting on international television, throwing your legs in the air in nothing but underpants .

:|

No, that doesn't do it for me personally (especially in that vid)...what's funny to me is that, what these "stars" call "sexy" or "grown-up" is just slutty. I know certain pop icons want to expand their demographic, but the way it's done here isn't artsy, sexy, or risque. It's trash.

But is it even a flashy coat of paint?
I seriously wonder about these so called fashion experts who advise 21 year olds on how to look sexy.

i want one boy to come in here and tell me its attractive. then maybe i can justify why the clip was made.

The airbrushed nude cover of Rolling Stone is sort of ridiculous, too, but it was just a matter of time.

The thing of it is is that if you act like trash, you get treated like trash. Most guys I know say "yeah I'd do her" in that macho tone, but I've never heard any of them say "She seems like someone I'd like to get to know. Or someone I'd be compatable with." She put her self out as an object, a product, so people (mostly men) will be interested in her little red thong, rather than her talent. She claims to want respect, but she really doesn't. If she wanted respect she'd use that voice of hers to get a message out, rather than her airbrushed body.

"Beauty fades, but dumb is forever"

a bit of a slut
a bit trashy..

it is Pop music so i really dont care:down:

long story short-when a lady leaves little to the imagination, and there seems to be no mystery left to her, reasonable fellows usually avoid girls like this:yes:
True story:)

DB9

funny, the local radio djs were talking about how there's a new homemade video circulating of her in a night club blitzed out of her mind with practically nothing on rubbing and kissing with another girl and a two guys, they said it looked like she was on ecstacy or something to that effect...

it's perplexing because she used to look very attractive and she has a very good voice, but she's gone way too far with her act, it's like she felt inferior to Britney and has taken extreme measures to try and outdo her, she should have just been happy to be 2nd most popular and could have taken solice in having an actual vocal talent

Christina could have had a career similar to someone like Janet Jackson or even better yet, Mariah Carey w/o the mental breakdowns (since Mariah could sing and Janet can't)

The Wanderer said:

it's perplexing because she used to look very attractive and she has a very good voice, but she's gone way too far with her act

She is very pretty...and she does have a great voice...but I have no clue what she's thinking with this new image. :huh:

Maybe she's just "following her heart"...:shrug:

If so...she has one helluva sleazy heart. :der:

These girls will finally be satisfied when they can pose for magazine covers fully inside out.

How much more naked can you get.

Funny. Yes, the current image is scary. In fact, her image has always been scary to me. The girl wears too much makeup! I think she would look better if she didn't wear so much!

Despite that and her new "nude" look, her new album has really impressed me. I used to basically just laugh at her. But this new album is a nice move forward and really displays more of her talent. I have more respect for her now - at least concerning the album.

Maybe it's an arty vehicle to liberate herself ala Kate Winslet in Titanic...

But seriously, I never like to hear women call other women sluts. I have a cousin who has always dressed sexily, since she was in her early teens. For the longest time, I acted the prude cousin, telling her to button up etc because I feared the looks other men were giving her. Never stopped her from dressing the way she wanted. These days, I understand my cousin better. I don't try to change her. She's comfortable with the way her body looks and not many women are like that. The leers from men do make her feel dirty but she has the confidence to not give a damn. Also, when women call other women's dress sense 'slutty', it makes me uncomfortable because I feel it promotes the notion that girls who dress sexily 'ask for it' which is untrue. And how would YOU feel if a woman called you slutty?

Male rockstars strip onstage all the time and they aren't labelled... well, whatever the male equivalent of 'slut' is. Bono, as The Fly during Popmart, focused the camera down on his 'private' area, and I think everyone loved it. Mick Jagger used to wear leotards so tight you could see his Little Mick wiggling and he's considered 'cool'.

Btw, my s/o says Christina's sexy look isn't attractive because she has the body build of a little girl. So the sexy stuff is a little incongruous, much like thinking of one's little sister in a sexual manner, I suppose.

I'm certainly not prudish and I try to be non-judgmental

but what is now part of family television and in magazines accessed by very young children has worried me for a while.
I don't think I've watched more than 20 seconds of one of her clips, so I can't comment on her specificly.
It crept into acceptance a few years back. i have been around long enough to seen the change. I think consenting adults can just about do as they please in private imho, but to present that kind of image as popular culture seems to be putting the pressure on young girls to either be dieting or to get around in completely unflattering outfits in an attempt to be "fashionable"
It's a quandary..I get told I'm prudish and to lighten up all the time. A feminist friend told me it's just women expressing themselves as they wish ..at last!! I don't know about that. I love lace and that, but at home thank you.

What was the original Q? Is it too far?
Tricky one to answer Amanda, in the year 2002, on one hand freedom of the individual to express themselves and on the other hand...I'm not sure what it represents. it feels a bit like th ejazz era or bread or circus....it doesn't feel quite right does it.
I'm not young i can't judge. I know when I first started to go out to gigs with hub after our sons were old enough tobe babysat, Iwas shocked by the change in fashion in that time. I went on to the disco last time I went out with him and was a bit shocked by some of the couples on the dance floor. i think it's a bit rough on the single guys watching that carry-on in public. I'm not sure abou that though.

Actaully hub and I had a debate about one of the women at the MTV awards Sheryl Crow...shut up cass...I have fields to plough

:wave:

joyfulgirl said:
The airbrushed nude cover of Rolling Stone is sort of ridiculous, too, but it was just a matter of time.

what makes you ay airbrushed?
she is a skank.

as a matter of fact the New York Post has been having the "Christina Aguilera Skank Watch " on Page six while she is in NYC...

So funny...

Sometimes I feel that the people who's around her are turning her into this... thing :der:

I always thought that every single pop singer/group that didn't had a really gifted voice needed to show off more of them physically or at least show their eccentric/weird/psycho side.(example: Britney Spears, 'NSync, etc) But in Christina's case... Well I guess I was wrong :shrug: I mean: Haven't she heard herself sing? She has a priviledged voice and just for that she'll always be recognized. She doesn't have to show off to much. As a girl, I think the more you leave to imagination the better your attractive is :yes:

And afterall : No man here has ever said she looks sexy on that Rolling Stone cover :shame: :tsk:

The Wanderer said:

Christina could have had a career similar to someone like Janet Jackson or even better yet, Mariah Carey w/o the mental breakdowns (since Mariah could sing and Janet can't)
I think you're on to something with the Mariah comparison, cause I think Christina is well on her way to some kind of mental breakdown. She seems to me to be a bit disturbed, and making some very poor career choices(who is advising her? It can't still be Mommy).

Good points rungi
It's not my cup of tea, but perhaps we should quit with the double standards

Well me being the only one in this thread that thinks she looks hot doesnt look good for my popularity.

I dont think she looks pretty or gorgeuos. She looks diiirty, as the song says. That dirty or nasty look has SEX apeal not g/f apeal. If their was a group of guys sitting around talking about her i quarentee they'd all say they'd do her. I would. I dont care if you all think that's bad. I'm not going too. But she only is a fantasy or a image to guys.

Ya see's got a nice ass, and she can dance really sexy or dirty. Some guys, most guys like that sometimes....sometimes. I would say if you ask 100 guys if they had to choose to have sex with CA once or have a g/f for 6 months they would pick the g/f!

id sure love to have a latte with that whore. discuss books...or...underoos?

daisybean said:
I've never heard any of them say "She seems like someone I'd like to get to know. Or someone I'd be compatable with.

:lol:

I think that anyone can dress sexily if they want to. Hell, if I were going to be on the cover of Rolling Stone I'd probably want to look sexy. However, I think Christina has crossed the line from dressing sexy to just looking trashy. Her new single is called "Dirrty" after all. I think the way she dresses offends a lot of women because it just perpetuates women being seen as nothing but sex objects. Christina has a good voice, but that is far overshadowed by how she looks and dresses (or undresses). Who cares if she has talent if she looks like that? I'm sure most women would like to be respected more for their talents than for how they dress, but people like Christina put the focus almost entirely on how they look.

back again

I wanted to expand further on the idea of it being "tough on the single guys" I should not have 'singled out single guys.

Some background...I have been involved in Community services for some time, a lot of my friends work in the field and I just hear stories...nearly every day. It seems to me the child abuse is getting worse, maybe I am wrong. But some of the stories music lovers it would break a person's heart. Going on RIGHT now, beautiful little girls( and boys) in terror, thinking that is how life should be. One little girl I hear dabout recently, it's almost too much.
Anyway, the connection. I just worry that some people watch "the goings on" on the TV, girls like christina and see the "goings on" in the drinking establishments( that's what they are). they have thoughts, they have inadequacies, they have children at home. i don't know if there is a conncetion between the two things. I certainly hope not, but I have wondered. I don't think it is neccessary to have it on morning TV.
Do they lead or do we follow?

Back
Top Bottom