How far is too far? Boys I ask your opinion...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Giant Lemon said:
I think the way she dresses offends a lot of women because it just perpetuates women being seen as nothing but sex objects. Christina has a good voice, but that is far overshadowed by how she looks and dresses (or undresses).
by that logic 'n synch, Enrique Eglesias etc would be an insult to all us 'normal' guys out there

I don't care when someone who sings pop songs is mainly known because he/her manages to get fans of the opposite sex horny
just as long as they don't start to think they're serious artists because some horny individuals buy their trash

ouizy said:

what makes you ay airbrushed?

It was kind of obvious to me from the 5 second glance I gave it on the newsstand, but I did not examine it closely.

Originally posted by famous rungi

But seriously, I never like to hear women call other women sluts.

Male rockstars strip onstage all the time and they aren't labelled... well, whatever the male equivalent of 'slut' is. Bono, as The Fly during Popmart, focused the camera down on his 'private' area, and I think everyone loved it. Mick Jagger used to wear leotards so tight you could see his Little Mick wiggling and he's considered 'cool'.

I completely agree--and I would add that I don't particularly like hearing men call them sluts either. I dislike Christina because I don't like her voice or her music, or that entire genre of music for that matter. And while I find her attempts to be sexy a little silly (since she seems like a little girl to me, but maybe that's because I'm old enough to be her mother) it really has nothing to do with female artists in general dressing sexy. And more than likely it's not Christina's idea...she's just a little girl puppet with a big voice. I blame the board room execs who exploit young, not very smart female artists rather than the artists themselves.

stop it or you will go blind

I just saw the clip that Amanda was originally asking about...the red undies caper.....definitely not necessary. It looks as though she dressed in a hurry and forgot her trousers.
It was her eyes that had me worried...as I mentioned in another thread my Tvision is 19cms, you can't see detail...sometimes that may be a good thing. I don't know where all this began and cannot imagine where it will end. I just hope we have some thought for the effects of what we do.

I heard a "brief" article on Tv discussing a new Aussie soap star who is trying to become known as a popsinger. Her name is Delta and she is selling herself on the fact she will not reveal her body. I couldn't hear the song, but in the little bit of the clip I saw, she was wearing normal jeans and a long sleeved shirt....She said some ppl may flaunt it for fame, but she will not....not yet anyway.

Don't let the bastards bump & grind you down Delta.

I saw the video once or twice so far and... is it really necessary for SO MANY female pop acts to get undressed more and more to get attention? It's gettting boring by now.

I mean, IMO, the more they concentrate on their looks, the less their music will get a chance to be taken seriously.

As for guys comparison: yes, male singers wear tight pants and unbottened shirts, but it's not like they would wear nothing but, say, thongs or little pices of cloth barely covering their private parts. BTW, I think both sides cheapen their work that way.

(i don't know about others, but i usually like a band or an artist for the music, not for their looks. what is up with the whole looks obsession anyway?)

Of all the people I should think the ones with really good voices wouldn't even need all that "undress" stuff. :shrug:

On the other hand, it's her choice how she wants to present herself. If she feels comfortable and closer to her real self that way...I just hope young girls don't take that kind of behaviour in the video and dressing as "role model" thing.

Christina Aguilera has become tedious in the extreme.

Every time she comes (ahem - although knowing her (which I don't) it wouldn't surprise me) on the television doing whatever the hell it is she is doing, I just feel like shouting at the screen "OK CHRISTINA... SO YOU'VE DISCOVERED SEX. AND HEY, IT'S ACTUALLY QUITE GOOD. NOW BE A GOOD GIRL AND PUT SOME CLOTHES ON... YOU ARE PUTTING ME OFF MY DINNER... oh, and do you mind not shouting so much. You sound like a bloke sometimes when you sing."

It's difficult to take her seriously anymore. Let's face it, she can't even spell.

Back
Top Bottom