How Do I Get Rid Of Spyware?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
use adaware AND soybot. MAKE SURE you update them both first (like, every week!). Also, run the scans in Safe Mode.

Download Hijack This, and run a scan, then save the log as a text file. You should be able to pick out the spyware relatively quickly.

There are many, many that AdAware and SpyBot will simply not clean out without you deleting files and folders in safe mode first. But there is no reason to run those scans in safe mode.

anitram said:

There are many, many that AdAware and SpyBot will simply not clean out without you deleting files and folders in safe mode first. But there is no reason to run those scans in safe mode.

If it finds files running at the time of the scan, it won't touch them and ask if the scan can be run at the next reboot. If you don't want to run multple scans, scan in Safe Mode the first time.

Amanda, here's an explaination on safe mode:

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question575.htm

It's like starting the computer with nothing running and no device drivers loading.

u2popmofo said:
I'd definitely recommend Spybot over Ad-aware. :up:

Yeah, I just like that weird sound adaware makes! At work, we're required to run them both at least once; I do adaware first, but spybot always catches a few things.

Do not download spyware stormer! It's a trick, it looks free, but then it shows you all this stuff you allegedly have (like the termite man who shows you a bug in a jar he claims he got under your house) and says, click here to get rid of them now, then when you do, the little thing to put in your credit card number pops up :rolleyes: Even after you x it out, it keeps popping back up, making things run slow. I have thought I got rid of it but every time I restart, it's back. I have been very happy with ad-aware (thanks to Arw)

Good luck. I picked up malware awhile ago, which is like spyware's asshole older brother. I thought it was going to destroy my computer. Things still aren't quite right.

madonna's child said:
Good luck. I picked up malware awhile ago

So did I 'cus I wasn't paying attention and Phil used Internet Explorer for a half hour. I run Adaware every few days and get 2-3 at most, but that time I got 189 :huh: Onec time at work I got close to 450 off someone's computer.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
If it finds files running at the time of the scan, it won't touch them and ask if the scan can be run at the next reboot. If you don't want to run multple scans, scan in Safe Mode the first time.

That's not necessarily true.

With LOP infections, you will need to run a HJT scan to get the log, then get into safe mode to delete relevant folders (they will not be in add/remove programs even if you reveal hidden folders). After that, you can run the scan in normal mode, and there is no issue whatsoever, no need to run them multiple times. As LOP infections are particularly troublesome (things like Omegasearch), HJT is more helpful than AdAware or Spybot, neither of which will clean this type of spyware infection.

carey02 said:
Someone told me that people can record what you do on the internet. Is that true? :eyebrow:
Well umm, yes. The government has been doing it for years. Individuals can do it too if they can get malicious software installed on your computer. Everytime you hit a website, the website owner knows you are there. It is almost impossible to go on the net without creating some sort of trail.

I wouldn't worry though. Most site owners don't care who you are and just sift through their logs of people who hit their site to see what browser they use and such. As long as you don't have any trojans, viruses, or spyware installed, on your machine, you should be relatively anonymous and pretty much fade into the background noise of the web.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom